Navigator Junior Suites

I have more questions for my Cruise Critic Crew.  I've read that there is a size difference between side Junior Suites and aft Junior Suites on Voyager class ships.  The difference is that with the aft suites, the cabin is slightly smaller while the balcony is slightly larger/deeper than side suites.  If I need a rollaway bed, I would be able to fit one in a side suite but not an aft suite.  Is that correct?  An RCI agent implied as such, but I wanted to see if anyone here can confirm.  Sometimes people here know more than the agents I contact.  I assume if it is true, all side suites are the same, so I can fit a rollaway in any one of them.  

As far as the side suite balcony being a bit smaller than aft, can 4 people honestly fit comfortably out there?  I'm not looking to have a square dance party or anything, just want to be able to all be out there without tripping over each other.

Right now, for the Navigator cruise I am looking into, there are 4 aft JS on deck 6, and plenty of side JS on deck 9.  Trying to decide.

I'm not even sure that Royal does rollaway beds?  However, if you are looking to have one person in a sofa bed and one in a rollaway, I don't how the rollaway will fit unless other furniture is removed.

3 hours ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

There is plenty of room for a rollaway if they provide one for you.  In fact, that closet is huge somebody can sleep in that too!

That is just funny...🤣...the walk-in closet IS nice.

To the OP, MaskedTurtle, yes we concur with Cruisegirl6 that there is plenty of room for a rollaway if they provide one for you.

We were on the Navigator, in a JS, and it had a sofa (loveseat) that's supposed to pull out into a bed (never opened it), and there was also a large single upholstered seat with an ottoman at the other corner of the cabin.  Perhaps you can ask them to replace the chair/ottoman combo with the rollaway.  Come back and let us know...happy sailing! ☺️

Thanks everyone.  I thought I read on these boards that they won't put a rollaway in an aft JS because it is smaller.  There is no guarantee we'll get one in a side JS, but we may have a better chance.  

Does anyone have any opinions on the balconies?  The aft ones seem deeper and more square while the side ones seem more like a thinner rectangle.  Is there really enough room for 4 people out there?

A little extra info...the four of us are plus size ladies.  None of us are morbidly obese, just a bit fluffier than average.    My sister and I shared a sofabed a few years ago on the Explorer, and it was tight.  It was kinda awkward because we had to sleep side by side lengthwise.  The cushions were also pretty firm.  I'm told the sofabeds are currently like those at home where you sleep perpendicular to the sofa.  Also, my mom uses a wheelchair but is not confined to one.  

5 minutes ago, MaskedTurtle said:

Thanks everyone.  I thought I read on these boards that they won't put a rollaway in an aft JS because it is smaller.  There is no guarantee we'll get one in a side JS, but we may have a better chance.  

Does anyone have any opinions on the balconies?  The aft ones seem deeper and more square while the side ones seem more like a thinner rectangle.  Is there really enough room for 4 people out there?

A little extra info...the four of us are plus size ladies.  None of us are morbidly obese, just a bit fluffier than average.    My sister and I shared a sofabed a few years ago on the Explorer, and it was tight.  It was kinda awkward because we had to sleep side by side lengthwise.  The cushions were also pretty firm.  I'm told the sofabeds are currently like those at home where you sleep perpendicular to the sofa.  Also, my mom uses a wheelchair but is not confined to one.  

There is not room enough for 4 loungers on the balcony of a side-facing JS.

1 minute ago, MaskedTurtle said:

We don't need loungers, just chairs is fine.

We've had one lounger, two chairs, and a table on a side facing balcony.  Maybe it you got rid of the table you could fit anther chair, but it will be tight for 4 people.  The aft balconies have room for four loungers, four chairs, and a table.

1 minute ago, Host Clarea said:

We've had one lounger, two chairs, and a table on a side facing balcony.  Maybe it you got rid of the table you could fit anther chair, but it will be tight for 4 people.  The aft balconies have room for four loungers, four chairs, and a table.

That's what I suspect.  We have a few pros and cons to each room.  We're gonna have to really weigh our options.

6 minutes ago, lovelife said:

The aft balconies are much larger than the side ones. Beware of those on deck six though. They are just above the crew quarters where it could get noisy or smoky. 

Hmmm...The only aft JS balconies left for the cruise we're looking into are on deck 6.  

10 minutes ago, MaskedTurtle said:

Hmmm...The only aft JS balconies left for the cruise we're looking into are on deck 6.  

Those are the most obstructed of the aft-facing staterooms.

We had a side JS on the Navigator Deck 9 last month. Truthfully, I thought it was the smallest JS I have ever been in, and there was just two of us.  We had an aft JS on the Mariner (sister ship) Deck 10  last year and the room felt bigger. And the aft balcony was bigger, both wider and deeper. I think 4 adults in a side JS might feel a little tight. Just my opinion!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lovelife said:

The aft balconies are much larger than the side ones. Beware of those on deck six though. They are just above the crew quarters where it could get noisy or smoky. 

Have you actually stayed in one, or are you just guessing?

4 hours ago, MaskedTurtle said:

Yes, you have a long view across a flat painted deck before your gaze hits the ocean.  But the balcony is still huge.  If you REALLY want to sail with four in a Junior Suite, book the Deck 6.

deck 6 aft view of flat expanse.png

Image result for deck 6 aft navigator

deck 6 aft view.jpg

You can really see where the Deck 6 balconies are in this bottom picture.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Yep, have sailed in many back there.  From deck seven we could even hear the crew at times.  Certainly wouldn't prevent me from booking one -- just making the OP aware.

11 hours ago, MaskedTurtle said:

Be aware of the much longer walk from the elevators to the aft cabins; not sure how mobile your mom is as far as walking, or if you plan to use the wheelchair. You would also need to store the wheelchair in the cabin; cannot be left in the hallway.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Grandma Dazzles said:

Be aware of the much longer walk from the elevators to the aft cabins; not sure how mobile your mom is as far as walking, or if you plan to use the wheelchair. You would also need to store the wheelchair in the cabin; cannot be left in the hallway.

Was thinking about this as well.  We would be rolling my mom around when not in the cabin.  A longer hallway would be fine for us, but if it's busy with people or luggage, it may get a little difficult to navigate.  We were planning on putting the wheelchair in the big closet when not in use.

7 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Yes, you have a long view across a flat painted deck before your gaze hits the ocean.  But the balcony is still huge.  If you REALLY want to sail with four in a Junior Suite, book the Deck 6.

deck 6 aft view of flat expanse.png

Image result for deck 6 aft navigator

deck 6 aft view.jpg

You can really see where the Deck 6 balconies are in this bottom picture.

Thanks for the pictures.  It gives us a much better idea.  

19 hours ago, MaskedTurtle said:

I assume if it is true, all side suites are the same, so I can fit a rollaway in any one of them.  

Royal Caribbean does not have rollaway beds.  We asked as we had 2 of our grandkids share a Crown Loft one time.  We were still only 4 in a cabin, and were afraid they wouldn't sleep well sharing the small pullout. But we were told no to rollaways for safety reasons as they'd create a problem with evacuating a cabin.  I think the real reason is they don't carry them because of lifeboat space.  Just my guess.  But we were told no rollaways. 

Edited by papaflamingo

55 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

Royal Caribbean does not have rollaway beds.  We asked as we had 2 of our grandkids share a Crown Loft one time.  We were still only 4 in a cabin, and were afraid they wouldn't sleep well sharing the small pullout. But we were told no to rollaways for safety reasons as they'd create a problem with evacuating a cabin.  I think the real reason is they don't carry them because of lifeboat space.  Just my guess.  But we were told no rollaways. 

Really?  I was told by an RC agent that they did have rollaways, but can only put them in certain rooms.  I have seen pictures of rooms with rollaways that seem recent, but maybe they were older photos after all.  I guess this is one of those issues that you will get different answers about depending on who you talk to.

2 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

I was just on Symphony and they did provide a rollaway bed for the grand suite.

10 hours ago, MaryEBS said:

I was just on Symphony and they did provide a rollaway bed for the grand suite.

11 hours ago, MaskedTurtle said:

Really?  I was told by an RC agent that they did have rollaways, but can only put them in certain rooms.  I have seen pictures of rooms with rollaways that seem recent, but maybe they were older photos after all.  I guess this is one of those issues that you will get different answers about depending on who you talk to.

Good to know.  Thanks.

Edited by papaflamingo