Miles for Regent-booked Air

MadMarine

I’ve just booked a Delta flight through Regent Air.  What is the likelihood of receiving air miles for this trip and how would I find out?
Likely this question has been answered before, but my search criteria seemed to have failed me.  
Thanks, Mad

We have always received frequent flyer miles for flights booked by Regent.  You should get a Delta booking number from Regent.  Open your reservation on the Delta website and make sure that your frequent flyer numbers are added to the reservation. Hope this helps. 

Dave

Edited by DaveFr

We booked flights through Regent with air deviation (although they insisted on calling it "custom air") for our cruise last month (I think  we booked the flights in March). We were on Delta for the domestic legs in first class (we paid $175 each for the "custom" air) and just happened to get lucky with first class for domestic and the international segments were on Air France and KLM in business class and we received miles for each flight. The reservation showed up on our Delta accounts with good seats already selected within 5 minutes of booking. It couldn't have been easier.

Edited by Flgreg

Has anyone had experience with Regent booked air on American Airlines without a deviation.  Did you get miles?  How about with a deviation?  I've seen references to Delta and United, but not American.  My understanding is that miles or not depends on the contract between Regent and the airline.

Edited by 1985rz1

2 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

Has anyone had experience with Regent booked air on American Airlines without a deviation.  Did you get miles?  How about with a deviation?  I've seen references to Delta and United, but not American.

We have but now only deviate.  You must add frequent flier number to booking to get miles.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, rallydave said:

Getting miles really depends on the type of ticket Regent purchases for you.  The rules of the tickets determine if miles are or are not given to you.   Cannot generalize by airline, route, etc. 

I would check with Regent as I do not know this to be true!

4 hours ago, rallydave said:

Getting miles really depends on the type of ticket Regent purchases for you.  The rules of the tickets determine if miles are or are not given to you.   Cannot generalize by airline, route, etc. 

That sounds correct.  As one data point, we are using Regent Air for the first time next May (since no deviation fee as newly minted Platinums) and for a United-Brussels Airlines itinerary from IAD-BRU-LIS and return on United (LHR-IAD), all segments were booked as fare class P which is an unrestricted business class and earns 150% miles (distance, not mileage based since that seems to be the arrangement between Regent and United).  Same for qualification miles, but we've stopped playing that game having reached lifetime status with UA.

Overall, a smooth experience.  Our TA got exactly the flights/carriers we requested and there was no fare differential, just the waived deviation fees.

Flew Regent booked flights on AA in March without deviation transatlantic to JFK and JFK to LAX in business class (booking code I) and from LAX to MIA in economy (booking code G). Got mileage credit for all.

This was our first Regent trip and were happy to learn international business class meant we flew all the way back to the final destination in business class, even with the domestic leg.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

I would check with Regent as I do not know this to be true!

It's not Regent that determines whether miles are given for certain airline tickets, especially bulk or consolidator tickets.   The booking/fare codes determine the terms & conditions and each airline has many different booking and fare codes so no reason for Regent to know what they are.  ITA Matrix is the best source of this information for the public but, have to have the booking/fare codes for your flights and those won't be available until tickets are agreed to.  Best to just contact the airline once your flight is booked for his information as well  as any possibility of upgrading with points  Just because someone doesn't know something does not mean it isn't true.

12 minutes ago, rallydave said:

It's not Regent that determines whether miles are given for certain airline tickets, especially bulk or consolidator tickets.   The booking/fare codes determine the terms & conditions and each airline has many different booking and fare codes so no reason for Regent to know what they are.  ITA Matrix is the best source of this information for the public but, have to have the booking/fare codes for your flights and those won't be available until tickets are agreed to.  Best to just contact the airline once your flight is booked for his information as well  as any possibility of upgrading with points  Just because someone doesn't know something does not mean it isn't true.

It makes no sense to me to contact an airline AFTER the flight is booked as it is then too late to change to another airline.  However, when working out your Custom Air, BEFORE you approve the flights, that would be the time to contact the airline.

I question both myself and you on this because you have not used Regent Air in several years and we usually get the same "class" of ticket from Regent.  So, when one is not 100% certain, it is better to contact people that are 100% certain.  

It's the specific fare basis, not the "class" of ticket that determines any FF mileage accrual.  That fare basis is not just the single letter "class code", but the longer fare basis code (which can be many alpha-numeric characters long).  That code incorporates the fare rules for that ticket - and the accrual for the ticket would be specified in those fare rules and/or more general rules of the FF program.  Also, FWIW, the specific fare rules will supersede the general rules if in conflict.

IF (and it's a big if) you can get that specific fare basis, you may be able to find the fare rules online.  ExpertFlyer is an excellent source for published tickets and some published discounted ones.  Unfortunately, many "negotiated" fares have opaque fare rules, which sometimes are unavailable even after purchase.

Caveat emptor.

Edited by FlyerTalker

1 hour ago, MadMarine said:

Thanks much all for your responses.  Basically, I’ll know when I look at my miles statement after the trip.  Looks like uncovering the underlying data is above my pay grade.😟

That's true, but be sure you FF number is entered for you flight and check again at the check in counter.  Also always pay for your cruise with a credit card that gives extra points for "travel charges".  

4 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

That's true, but be sure you FF number is entered for you flight and check again at the check in counter.  Also always pay for your cruise with a credit card that gives extra points for "travel charges".  

Agree 100%

1 hour ago, ronrick1943 said:

Yep, I’ve got both parts covered.  Thanks!

I have never had trouble with obtaining miles credit for any flight. Once I have a confirmation number I enter it under my airline account online and I have always been credited for the flight. This includes United, AA and Delta. When flying BA I get credit through AA, when flying AF I get credit through Delta. 

1 hour ago, Gray Eagle02 said:

I have never had trouble with obtaining miles credit for any flight. Once I have a confirmation number I enter it under my airline account online and I have always been credited for the flight. This includes United, AA and Delta. When flying BA I get credit through AA, when flying AF I get credit through Delta. 

Thank you for your experiences.  However, unless you have flown on a special/bulk/consolidator/negotiated fare ticket where the fare rules prohibit mileage accrual, it isn't a comprehensive experience that would transfer to everyone.

You will collect miles on MOST published fare tickets (but not all), and it is with the non-published fares where the specific fare rules and FF program policies are most likely to cause problems with accrual.

13 hours ago, califsealion said:

I like the new math they use to figure out how many miles they credit you now.  I flew to Europe in May, economy.  Miles flown - 10,700, miles credited - 2125

So true, you must have had a deeply discounted fare.  

I miss the “mileage run” days.  It took a long time for the airlines to fix that loophole.

On 8/17/2019 at 7:51 PM, 1985rz1 said:

Has anyone had experience with Regent booked air on American Airlines without a deviation.  Did you get miles?  How about with a deviation?  I've seen references to Delta and United, but not American.  My understanding is that miles or not depends on the contract between Regent and the airline.

on a recent trip with Regent, we were booked on AA (domestic) and received FFM on the trip to Miami, but the return trip was a different code (not that I saw a diff) and we received no miles for the return. 

In the past, Delta, United, all provided the FFM...this was the first time. But as they say YMMV

• Thanks 1