No Show Questions.

XCruiseMe17

Hey everyone.  I have a few questions,  I sail next Sunday the 25th on Magic. Unfortunately my roommate may not be able to sail with me due to some unforeseen family emergency.  We are currently taking things day by day. We did not buy insurance and we understand she will lose the entire cruise fare and we are okay with that. The question is about the things we pre-purchased such as her Cheers and Internet.  Would she get a refund for that?   Would it be better to "no show" rather than cancel?  We have never experienced anything like this before. 

Thank you for your help. 

2 minutes ago, XCruiseMe17 said:

Hey everyone.  I have a few questions,  I sail next Sunday the 25th on Magic. Unfortunately my roommate may not be able to sail with me due to some unforeseen family emergency.  We are currently taking things day by day. We did not buy insurance and we understand she will lose the entire cruise fare and we are okay with that. The question is about the things we pre-purchased such as her Cheers and Internet.  Would she get a refund for that?   Would it be better to "no show" rather than cancel?  We have never experienced anything like this before. 

Thank you for your help. 

I can't say about Cheers but I know she can cancel the internet package right now and receive a full refund. Then if she still needs it and is able to cruise, she can always purchase it onboard for a slight increase in cost. Cheers I think you'd both have to cancel for her to get a refund in advance.

Hopefully someone with experience in this can respond to the Cheers question, but as for being a no-show, that's your best bet, as otherwise she will likely not get any kind of refund (other than port fees and taxes) and you may get charged the single supplement.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shaded Lady said:

I can't say about Cheers but I know she can cancel the internet package right now and receive a full refund. Then if she still needs it and is able to cruise, she can always purchase it onboard for a slight increase in cost. Cheers I think you'd both have to cancel for her to get a refund in advance.

Hopefully someone with experience in this can respond to the Cheers question, but as for being a no-show, that's your best bet, as otherwise she will likely not get any kind of refund (other than port fees and taxes) and you may get charged the single supplement.

Thank you.  I appreciate you taking the time to respond. 

3 minutes ago, Shaded Lady said:

It is past final payment so the cruise fare is paid in full.  The OP will not be charged,

• Like 1

When my family had someone who couldn't make the cruise, we were advised to just go to the port as usual and declare them a "no-show" once onboard or at boarding.  We were credited the port fees and taxes for the missing cruiser and also his CHEERS package once onboard.  The Internet package can be canceled ahead of time.  Another thought.....even though 10% more expensive, you could always BOTH cancel the CHEERS package and then you could purchase once onboard.  Just a thought?

• Like 1

On 8/18/2019 at 5:41 AM, CruizCuz said:

When my family had someone who couldn't make the cruise, we were advised to just go to the port as usual and declare them a "no-show" once onboard or at boarding.  We were credited the port fees and taxes for the missing cruiser and also his CHEERS package once onboard.  The Internet package can be canceled ahead of time.  Another thought.....even though 10% more expensive, you could always BOTH cancel the CHEERS package and then you could purchase once onboard.  Just a thought?

thank you so much.  I would do that, but since its so close to sailing I don't know how long they'd tie up all that money for. So we will leave it as is. 

In the event that your friend cannot go, you'd then be considered a single.  Technically her fare then goes toward you occupying a cabin meant as double occupancy.  Your friend in effect, is paying your single supplement.  if it were me, I would offer the friend some of that money back...as a gesture of your friendship.  Just my opinion.

I get it...hubby and I planned a cruise on the Horizon next month well over a year ago, and now he is unable to travel.  I ended up paying an extra $250 cruise fare and an extra $75 to change our airline tickets so that our son could come on the trip.  

Absolutely be a no show. Some people don't realize if you cancel someone in the 100 percent penalty phase, their entire fare is confiscated as penalty and then your room is only half booked and they will hit you for the single supplement. There is zero reason to cancel since you have no insurance.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, DramaQueen22 said:

In the event that your friend cannot go, you'd then be considered a single.  Technically her fare then goes toward you occupying a cabin meant as double occupancy.  Your friend in effect, is paying your single supplement.  if it were me, I would offer the friend some of that money back...as a gesture of your friendship.  Just my opinion.

I get it...hubby and I planned a cruise on the Horizon next month well over a year ago, and now he is unable to travel.  I ended up paying an extra $250 cruise fare and an extra $75 to change our airline tickets so that our son could come on the trip.  

Well I was always going, I didn't have control over the unforeseen emergency.  The money is gone regardless of if I go or stay home as well. So I don't agree with your logic.  But thank you for the input. 

• Like 1

We had a very similar issue 2 cruises ago. A family friend booked a cruise for him and a lady acquaintance. Prior to the cruise, the relationship soured and she did not go. We simply told them at embarkation that she didn’t show, and her port fees and taxes were refunded. They had not pre purchased cheers, so he had to go to guest services and say she was a no show so that only he could purchase cheers. They confirmed that she did not check in and allowed him to purchase cheers as a single cruiser. Everything else was smooth as silk.... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, XCruiseMe17 said:

Well I was always going, I didn't have control over the unforeseen emergency.  The money is gone regardless of if I go or stay home as well. So I don't agree with your logic.  But thank you for the input. 

I also don't agree.  You don't owe them anything...maybe a souvenir as a thank you 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DramaQueen22 said:

I never said the OP "owed" them a thing.  I suggested that it might be a nice gesture to offer the friend some money back as they were now, in effect, paying for someone else's full fare as a single cruiser.  The friend who isn't able to go due to the emergency may not expect to be paid back, but I just think it would be a nice thing to offer something back to them.  Perhaps they won't accept, but it is the offer that counts.

She is not paying for my full fare.  Due to the circumstances this is what we are dealing with.  It's a gamble you take.  We sail in like 3 days. It's past final payment.  We booked easy saver no insurance.  She loses money no matter what.  

21 hours ago, DramaQueen22 said:

Since OP may end up as an involuntary solo cruiser, I don’t see any reason why (s)he should pay over a cent!  I think I can be generous to a fault, but in those shoes I would not feel any moral or other obligation to do so.   

If if the other traveler had cared to, (s)he could have protected herself with insurance. Ridiculous to suggest that OP effectively offer to be her (unpaid for) insurer. 

Edited by TrinaLC
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, XCruiseMe17 said:

She is not paying for my full fare.  Due to the circumstances this is what we are dealing with.  It's a gamble you take.  We sail in like 3 days. It's past final payment.  We booked easy saver no insurance.  She loses money no matter what.  

She is SUPPLEMENTING your fare with what she paid.  Cabins are sold on a double occupancy basis.  If someone is a no show, their fare is then counted as the single supplement to what you have also paid.  If you friend is fine paying for you, then whatever.  I am sorry she will not be able to travel with you, those kind of things are tough.  

When I cruise as a solo, I are required to pay for 2 people in the cabin.  

1 minute ago, DramaQueen22 said:

She is SUPPLEMENTING your fare with what she paid.  Cabins are sold on a double occupancy basis.  If someone is a no show, their fare is then counted as the single supplement to what you have also paid.  If you friend is fine paying for you, then whatever.  I am sorry she will not be able to travel with you, those kind of things are tough.  

I have sailed solo many times...but are you not understanding that even if I don't go she is not getting money back?  They is no money to be returned regardless.  So it's not supplementing my fare...Carnival is keeping the money no matter what.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, DramaQueen22 said:

OP did not choose to sail solo. Her friend withdrew. Her friend bears 100% of the cost of that decision.   Her friend is not enriching OP in any way, shape or form. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TrinaLC said:

OP did not choose to sail solo. Her friend withdrew. Her friend bears 100% of the cost of that decision.   Her friend is not enriching OP in any way, shape or form. 

I simply believe it would be a lovely gesture to offer something back to the friend who is 100% out of what they paid.  We'll have to agree to disagree about who's being moral.

8 minutes ago, DramaQueen22 said:

I simply believe it would be a lovely gesture to offer something back to the friend who is 100% out of what they paid.  We'll have to agree to disagree about who's being moral.

I firmly agree the one who fulfills the contract and sails is under no ethical, moral, or legal obligation to pay the no-show, regardless of the reason.   

It has nothing to do with friendship.  I think none of my friends would request, want, or accept payment under those circumstances, and if in the OP's position I would not offer it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We had my daughters friend be a no show on Carnival Magic in May.  She was the 3rd person in the room with my son and daughter.  I paid for her room, taxes and fees, and prepaid her gratuities with a Carnival Gift Card.  I went to guest services after we boarded and told them she was a no show.  They said I would be getting a refund of her taxes, fees, and gratuity in the form of a Carnival gift card in 3-4 weeks.  I didn't get the gift card so I called Carnival and they said i needed to contact our TA since I booked through a TA.  I have contacted my TA multiple times who has contacted Carnival multiple times (she sends me copies of her correspondence with them).  I keep getting told it is taken care of and I should receive it in 2-3 weeks and when it doesn't come I contact them again.  Still waiting to get it 3 months later.  Last message from Carnival yesterday said they were checking into it again.  Good luck.

2 hours ago, DramaQueen22 said:

The friend broke the agreement. Would the still going cruiser paid the solo or if she had known, or found someone else?

The friend broke the agreement. The still going and going to have a good time cruiser owes the no show nothing. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Warm Breezes said:

We had my daughters friend be a no show on Carnival Magic in May.  She was the 3rd person in the room with my son and daughter.  I paid for her room, taxes and fees, and prepaid her gratuities with a Carnival Gift Card.  I went to guest services after we boarded and told them she was a no show.  They said I would be getting a refund of her taxes, fees, and gratuity in the form of a Carnival gift card in 3-4 weeks.  I didn't get the gift card so I called Carnival and they said i needed to contact our TA since I booked through a TA.  I have contacted my TA multiple times who has contacted Carnival multiple times (she sends me copies of her correspondence with them).  I keep getting told it is taken care of and I should receive it in 2-3 weeks and when it doesn't come I contact them again.  Still waiting to get it 3 months later.  Last message from Carnival yesterday said they were checking into it again.  Good luck.

Luckily she will be enjoying the cruise, the friend will be the one waiting.

I have never had a no show in Carnival but have on NCL and I believe they all work the same.. She will get back and taxes and gratuities paid as well as service fees and port charges. It took over a month but we ended up getting back everything but the original cruise fare..

what i I don’t know is how they will reimburse. Whether it will be a gift card or put back to the method you paid originally. On NCL they put all of it back on my CC.

No promises that Carnival is the same but my bet is that it is the same..

Good Luck!!

• Like 1