Least Favorite Ship

57eric

Wife and I went on our first cruise ever this past June on the Island to Alaska and had a fantastic time. We had a comfortable mini-suite that was more comfortable than most hotel rooms we've been in. Staff and over-all service was incredible. I don't have much to compare to, but I wouldn't hesitate to sail on the Island again. Before traveling, I'd read the complaints from those who had been on the non-refurbished Island and anticipated feeling crowded, but that was never our experience: never had to wait for Anytime dining (we were willing to sit with others), always found seats in the Theater if we went about 10 minutes early, and rarely felt "crowd-straphobic" (like when the theater let out). I have two small complaints. The buffet for breakfast was often crowded, but I suspect all ships struggle with that on port days--serving over 1000 passengers breakfast during a 60-90 minute window has to be nearly impossible, yet they did it day after day with smiles on their faces, and we could always find a table out by the pool.  Also, I wish the Promenade deck went all the way around the bow rather than having to go inside to get from port to starboard (such a hardship!). After my experience, I understand what Blondilu means by saying their least favorite ship is the one they're not on! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RMM34667 said:

Hate the Royal but love the Regal. It's not so much the ship obviously but it's staff. Royal has issues from the top down. 

Certainly not my experience from cruising on her, including as late as Saturday. 

Every one has their like & dislikes of the different ships for various reasons. 

This thread should have simply had a poll listing all the current ships letting people vote for their favorite accordingly. 

• Like 3

Our least favourite was the Grand.  When we were on her we had several issues.  Lost power to the aft section of the ship for several hours.  Many leaking pipes in the corridor near our cabin, so buckets out to catch the drips, fans blowing to try and dry it up. A funky smell all two weeks because of all the leaks.   We still enjoyed our cruise, but would try to avoid the Grand in the future.

Haven't found a least favorite yet but sailing on the Island in a few months. Total one-off oddball sailing...4 days one stop in Dominican and back.  Bonus vacation for DW and I, couldn't care less what ship if it's taking us out of Pittsburgh in December. Having said that I will be curious to see how much less bad it is than the reviews around here make it out to be. So far in my experience, everything has exceeded expectations when walking in with CC influenced expectations.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/20/2019 at 9:25 AM, Daisyloo said:

Our least favourite was the Grand.  When we were on her we had several issues.  Lost power to the aft section of the ship for several hours.  Many leaking pipes in the corridor near our cabin, so buckets out to catch the drips, fans blowing to try and dry it up. A funky smell all two weeks because of all the leaks.   We still enjoyed our cruise, but would try to avoid the Grand in the future.

BOO TO YOU.

You need to try any Oasis class and I bet you change your mind.

On 8/20/2019 at 6:25 AM, Daisyloo said:

When was this? The reason I ask is that the Grand has been through a major refit earlier this year in which  a lot of plumbing was replaced and a couple of years prior it went through another refit in which other systems were updated.

Been on 10 different Princess ships and our least favorite was the Grand.  Luckily it was for a 3 day sailing but reasons were that it was just plain old and in need of either repair or better yet retirement but really the biggest reason was that our balcony stateroom had a pretty major leak in it that ruined our cruise.  Since then, I have read many different experiences about water leaks on the Grand...and yes, this was after dry-docks etc.

On 8/20/2019 at 11:46 AM, PMGS247 said:

Haven't found a least favorite yet but sailing on the Island in a few months. Total one-off oddball sailing...4 days one stop in Dominican and back.  Bonus vacation for DW and I, couldn't care less what ship if it's taking us out of Pittsburgh in December. Having said that I will be curious to see how much less bad it is than the reviews around here make it out to be. So far in my experience, everything has exceeded expectations when walking in with CC influenced expectations.

DW and I sailed Island on a 10 day Panama Canal cruise this past January.  The ship is fine and we enjoyed our cruise.  The "butchering" comments are really over the top. The only real complaint I have is that Island does not have an IC.

Edited by Oak City Man
  • Like 1

Just now, Oak City Man said:

DW and I sailed Island on a 10 day Panama Canal cruise this past January.  The ship is fine and we enjoyed our cruise.  The "butchering" comments are really over the top. The only real complaint i have is that Island does not have an IC.

Glad to hear!  Don't know if you drink coffee or not but if there's no IC, where does one get their specialty coffees?  How many places do they have designated for 'specialty coffee stations'?

Least favorite was Caribbean.  Too much vibration aft and we also had a terrible experience in a suite the week after a drydock.  We had so many problems that Princess gave us a ton of OBC for our next cruise to compensate.  That was a very nice gesture but we will only consider cruising on the Caribbean if she is sailing to destinations we can't visit on any other ship.

1 hour ago, brisalta said:

When was this? The reason I ask is that the Grand has been through a major refit earlier this year in which  a lot of plumbing was replaced and a couple of years prior it went through another refit in which other systems were updated.

We were on the Grand in the fall of 2012 - so a long time ago and things may have greatly improved on her.  

I’m fine with the Island. Yes, it’s not attractive, but I enjoyed my cruises on her both pre- and post-changes. I would go again. My least favorite is the Grand. I have not been on the Grand in a few years. It was so bad that I swore I wouldn’t go again unless it was free. Now, if Princess would like to give me a free cruise to see what it’s like.... 

3 hours ago, Triptkr said:

Glad to hear!  Don't know if you drink coffee or not but if there's no IC, where does one get their specialty coffees?  How many places do they have designated for 'specialty coffee stations'?

I am a coffee drinker.  There is a place off the atrium that serves brewed coffee and coffee drinks.  Little in the way of food though.

For me it’s The Royal & Regal. Now don’t get me wrong they are beautiful. But almost every were you are there is Music or someone taking so loud. Over the sound system. If your sitting at the  International café at times you can’t have a conversation.

It’s the same if your in Alfredo’s. If your sitting at the entrance of The Crown Grill it’s the same. 

Tony

19 minutes ago, Lucky TGO said:

For me it’s The Royal & Regal. Now don’t get me wrong they are beautiful. But almost every were you are there is Music or someone taking so loud. Over the sound system. If your sitting at the  International café at times you can’t have a conversation.

It’s the same if your in Alfredo’s. If your sitting at the entrance of The Crown Grill it’s the same. 

Tony

Ahoy, Captain.  I am sure The Rowboat has never made a Worst 10 List.  

IDK about the Royal, but on Regal it is the ED, not to mention a sound tech who loves the volume button, that makes it that way.  If any of the ships staged a lot of loud entertainment in the Piazza, we'd have the same issue/complaint.  Call me an old fuddy - which I am not - but I think the Piazza should be more of a social gathering and conversational place and great for a pianist or string trio, or something less crazy at least until later at night.

ETA - I always ask for a table in the back when booking the CG on Regal.

Edited by steelers36

11 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

Ahoy, Captain.  I am sure The Rowboat has never made a Worst 10 List.  

IDK about the Royal, but on Regal it is the ED, not to mention a sound tech who loves the volume button, that makes it that way.  If any of the ships staged a lot of loud entertainment in the Piazza, we'd have the same issue/complaint.  Call me an old fuddy - which I am not - but I think the Piazza should be more of a social gathering and conversational place and great for a pianist or string trio, or something less crazy at least until later at night.

ETA - I always ask for a table in the back when booking the CG on Regal.

Hi Mr.G,

Your right about The Rowboat. I always ask for a table in the back of the CG now. We had dinner at this table only one time

it was very nice buy way too much noise.

Your Pal,

Tony

B4962306-CC9B-4884-B17C-D355C668473F.jpeg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, brisalta said:

Thanks for updating us about the Grand.

Always good to get up to date information.

7 hours ago, Triptkr said:

Crooners usually has aan espresso machine. On Diamond we found it was the best place to have coffee.