Packing Questions

Numer3

This is my 8th cruise but 1st on Oceania. We will be sailing on Sirena in a week. I’d love to hear any tips you may have, especially hoping to hear from those recent  cruisers (May to present) since the “Next” upgrades. I’m an overpacker. I’m trying to cut back where I can. Here are a few specific questions. (We are in an inside cabin)

1.) shampoo & conditioner....is it good quality?  (I learned to bring my own on our Royal Caribbean cruises...they don’t provide conditioner.)

2.) robes...are they provided for inside cabins?

3.) Does the mattress have a memory foam topper? I had to bring one on our Royal Cruise...they do have the WORST (hard) mattresses. I hear the beds are great on Oceania, but even at home I use a topper. Does Oceania have some if needed?

4.) hangers...I know there will be some in the closet but do you bring extras? Are there plenty if more are requested?

5.) what item do YOU bring that some might not think of? 

Not packing but a few more questions:

1.) Is there a sleep timer on the new TV remotes? I think new TVs were installed in May. I’m hoping my admittedly bad habit of falling asleep to the tv will be supported! (And if HGTV is one of the offered channels, bonus!!!)

2.) How hard is it to get iced tea in the morning? This is my husband’s “coffee” and he’s not much fun to be around until he’s had a couple of glasses! On Royal we learned to make it ourselves in the cafe and bring it to breakfast in the dining room. I realize Oceania doesn’t have this option but looking for tips. Can the barista make ice tea? Or maybe through room service? Might be a good option while he’s waiting for me to get ready. 

3.) Tipping...what do you typically tip for room service?  Since there aren’t assigned tables/waiters, is there no additional tipping for waitstaff at the end of the cruise? (Besides the automatic daily gratuities) 

4.) This is a 10 day cruise with no sea days. Will there still be lectures about the upcoming ports? If so, when do those typically happen? 

Thanks for answering any or all of these questions! We are SO looking forward to our 30th anniversary celebration cruise around Italy. (I’ve read some disappointing reviews lately about the food, but luckily for us, it’s hard to imagine it won’t be a pretty big step up from our last several cruises!) Looking forward to any tips or tricks you are willing to share!

Lara

21 minutes ago, Numer3 said:

This is my 8th cruise but 1st on Oceania. We will be sailing on Sirena in a week. I’d love to hear any tips you may have, especially hoping to hear from those recent  cruisers (May to present) since the “Next” upgrades. I’m an overpacker. I’m trying to cut back where I can. Here are a few specific questions. (We are in an inside cabin)

1.) shampoo & conditioner....is it good quality?  (I learned to bring my own on our Royal Caribbean cruises...they don’t provide conditioner.)

They use Bvlgari products ..they are OK for my hair  YMMV

YES

3.) Does the mattress have a memory foam topper? I had to bring one on our Royal Cruise...they do have the WORST (hard) mattresses. I hear the beds are great on Oceania, but even at home I use a topper. Does Oceania have some if needed?

They have a gel top

4.) hangers...I know there will be some in the closet but do you bring extras? Are there plenty if more are requested?

if you need more just ask

2.) How hard is it to get iced tea in the morning? This is my husband’s “coffee” and he’s not much fun to be around until he’s had a couple of glasses! On Royal we learned to make it ourselves in the cafe and bring it to breakfast in the dining room. I realize Oceania doesn’t have this option but looking for tips. Can the barista make ice tea? Or maybe through room service? Might be a good option while he’s waiting for me to get ready. 

just call room service I am sure  they can get him some in the GDR or the Terrace

3.) Tipping...what do you typically tip for room service?  Since there aren’t assigned tables/waiters, is there no additional tipping for waitstaff at the end of the cruise? (Besides the automatic daily gratuities) 

tip extra if you choose ..we do not use room service  so will leave that to others

Thanks for answering any or all of these questions! We are SO looking forward to our 30th anniversary celebration cruise around Italy. (I’ve read some disappointing reviews lately about the food, but luckily for us, it’s hard to imagine it won’t be a pretty big step up from our last several cruises!) Looking forward to any tips or tricks you are willing to share!

Lara

Enjoy  the cruise

32 minutes ago, Numer3 said:

1.) Is there a sleep timer on the new TV remotes? I think new TVs were installed in May. I’m hoping my admittedly bad habit of falling asleep to the tv will be supported! (And if HGTV is one of the offered channels, bonus!!!)

4.) This is a 10 day cruise with no sea days. Will there still be lectures about the upcoming ports? If so, when do those typically happen? 

Lara

Bulgari bath products

Mattresses so good that folks buy them

Plenty of hangers

Iced tea everywhere including room service

Everyone gets robes

No need to tip anyone

Great lecturers (worked in around port times)

You're in for a world of positive difference from mass market ships.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Numer3 said:

There are Bulgari toiletries throughout the ship, products vary according to cabin level.  Conditioner is included. 

2 robes will be hanging in the closet.  Complimentary slippers are included.  You may request a swap in size if necessary.

Beds are amazing on Oceania.  No topper.  If it is important to you, you may want to bring it.  Really a big task for overseas travel.  But that is only my opinion.  Your opinion/desires are the only ones that matter.

There will be quite a few hangers.  Depending on how long our cruise is we will bring a few extras that we will leave after the cruise.  However, your room attendants will bring extra hangers.  They will introduce themselves shortly after you board.  Tell them what you need.

Start with room service!  Order as many glasses as DH desires.  Also, available in the Terrace Cafe and Grand Dining Room.  Not sure about Barista's.  Other's may know.

We tip for room service.  Many others don't.  We generally don't tip waitstaff in the dining rooms.   

Although you did not ask specifically, I will say that we almost always give additional tips to our room attendants.  Anyone who cleans our bath twice a day is going above and beyond to pamper and enhance our cruise experience.  

Lara

Be sure to have your TA notify Oceania in advance regarding your anniversay.  Have a wonderful cruise.

-Katie

5 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Bulgari bath products

Mattresses so good that folks buy them

Plenty of hangers

Iced tea everywhere including room service

Everyone gets robes

No need to tip anyone

Great lecturers (worked in around port times)

You're in for a world of positive difference from mass market ships.

What he said except for the tipping part.

We always give the room service waiters a couple of dollars

53 minutes ago, StanandJim said:

What he said except for the tipping part.

We always give the room service waiters a couple of dollars

Actually, while there is "no need to," we also do tip room service $2 USD (or CAN or Euros or the equivalent of whatever foreign money we've got handy).

Concerning the Iced tea. My wife and I are Ice tea drinkers with our breakfast. We find the tea available to be horrible. What we do is either make our own when in the Terrace or if in the GDR we ask for two pots, 4 glasses of ice and either orange pekoe or English black tea, steep a bit and we're set. We usually get a couple more glasses of ice during the meal. This works much better for us. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Numer3 said:

1.) shampoo & conditioner....is it good quality? 

They give "blue" or "green" color-topped shampoo and conditioner in suites (not sure about concierge or veranda cabins) and "clear" color-topped ones for oceanview and inside cabins.  I figured they were the same except for a fragrance, but I was wrong...the clear ones didn't get my hair as clean and the conditioner didn't get it tangle-free.   

Yes, everyone gets them but I found that they took up too much space in the small closets so I brought my own thinner one.

I think the Oceania mattresses are the most comfortable I've ever slept on!  I wouldn't bother taking a topper, but everyone's different.

They have an unlimited supply of nice wooden hangers, but they take up alot of space in the closet so I took my own thin wire hangers to use.  I left them there when I disembarked.

I'm a light packer and don't pack things "just in case" I need them...but no matter how little I take, there are always things that I STILL didn't need!  So I keep revising my packing list to tweak it more.  I do take enough undies so I don't have to keep washing them too often and I try to only take clothes that are "mix and match."  The hardest thing for me is shoes...but if it's a warm cruise, I just wear sandals and flip flops.

Don't know about the remote since I turn the TV off to sleep, but there is no HGTV!  The choice of TV stations is pretty limited...MSNBC, CNBC, BBC, FOX, Sky News and Sky Sports.  There are lots of movies and Oceania stations, but that's it.

2.) How hard is it to get iced tea in the morning? Or maybe through room service? Might be a good option while he’s waiting for me to get ready. 

The staff in the Terrace Cafe will make you any drink you want for any meal!  I like decaf tea for dinner and they "custom made" me that most every evening...and they remember what you want!  They also learned that I like a latte at the end of breakfast and a decaf latte after dinner...I didn't have to request it, they just brought it. 

As far as iced tea for your room, just order a carafe or two of hot water and some tea bags  from room service and ask your room steward to give you 2 buckets of ice (they'll fill them up twice a day).  You can then make your own iced tea and keep it in the fridge.  I took my own large insulated cup to keep it in.

We are SO looking forward to our 30th anniversary celebration cruise around Italy.

I think you'll love this "step up" from the mainstream lines.  Enjoy!!

Edited by Go-Bucks!
  • Thanks 1

LHT28, Flatbush Flyer, Katie, StanandJim, Orv & Go-Bucks!, Thank you! I really appreciate your input. My own shampoo & conditioner, just in case, a few extra wire hangers, bc they are thinner, leave the robe at home (which gives me room for 2 extra outfits!) DH’s will make his own tea, I’ll leave the mattress topper at home (but might bring the coke can sized Klimt air mattress...just in case). Need to stop by the bank to get a starter set of ones for tipping. Waiting in line at guest services is never fun.

I’m REALLY looking forward to the port lectures!  That was one of my biggest complaints about Royal. The only lectures were basically selling opportunities. And no afternoon tea. I enjoyed it on Princess. And Oceania sounds awesome. 

I’m looking forward to our port intensive 10 night cruise around Italy, but will also work to balance downtime. I wonder how feasible it is on most ports to come back to the ship to relax and then head back out. I guess we will find out! This is a great group! Thanks for all the thoughtful & helpful advice. 

Lara

5 hours ago, Numer3 said:

I’m looking forward to our port intensive 10 night cruise around Italy, but will also work to balance downtime. I wonder how feasible it is on most ports to come back to the ship to relax and then head back out. I guess we will find out! This is a great group! Thanks for all the thoughtful & helpful advice. 

Lara

I think heading back out depends on how late you are in port.   There is high tea every day at 4pm-5pm and it is WONDERFUL.    On days that we came back early enough (even at 4:30pm!!), we would go to tea.   Tea sandwiches, scones with clotted cream and jam, delicious cakes -  I'm getting hungry just writing this.   Have a wonderful cruise and Happy Anniversary!

5 hours ago, Numer3 said:

I’m looking forward to our port intensive 10 night cruise around Italy, but will also work to balance downtime. I wonder how feasible it is on most ports to come back to the ship to relax and then head back out.

For us it  depends on  how close the ship is to the town

some places  we just have a light lunch or snack ashore & carry on  then head back in time for Tea  & a rest  before dinner

If hot I am done in earlier  😉

10 hours ago, LHT28 said:

I wonder how feasible it is on most ports to come back to the ship to relax and then head back out.

For us, getting off of the ship a second time always sounds like a better idea while we are planning the trip from the comfort of our living room, than it does in practice.

The nights are tragically short as it is after  a lovely meal with wine, and those Wake up calls loom in the AM.

9 hours ago, StanandJim said:

For us, getting off of the ship a second time always sounds like a better idea while we are planning the trip from the comfort of our living room, than it does in practice.

The nights are tragically short as it is after  a lovely meal with wine, and those Wake up calls loom in the AM.

So true.

22 hours ago, LHT28 said:

I wonder how feasible it is on most ports to come back to the ship to relax and then head back out.

10 hours ago, StanandJim said:

I am not sure how or why you chose to quote something I did not say ? 🙄

1 minute ago, LHT28 said:

I am not sure how or why you chose to quote something I did not say ? 🙄

That is a glitch in the CC software where if I pull a quote from a Post where you also have quoted it, it comes up as attributed to you.

5 minutes ago, StanandJim said:

That is a glitch in the CC software where if I pull a quote from a Post where you also have quoted it, it comes up as attributed to you.

not usually

6 hours ago, LHT28 said:

not usually

in response to Jim&Stan's comment about a glitch ...

But I have to say that I had the same thing happen to me recently.  Someone quoted from two posts, one of which was mine, and something was attributed to me that I hadn't said.

Not that it happens often but it seems to me that it CAN happen.

Mura

53 minutes ago, Mura said:

in response to Jim&Stan's comment about a glitch ...

But I have to say that I had the same thing happen to me recently.  Someone quoted from two posts, one of which was mine, and something was attributed to me that I hadn't said.

Not that it happens often but it seems to me that it CAN happen.

Mura

Has happened to me numerous times

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 9:12 AM, Numer3 said:

Lara

1)Yes, very good quality.

2) Yes. Although you may have to request it. Attendants sometimes forget to put them in the closet.

3) We don't like foam toppers, we like really firm mattresses. I'm sure they'll get you one if you want.

4) As to hangers, I think they were breeding! We had tons.

5) I bring a small bottle of laundry detergent, as I don't like powders.

6) Not sure. We just wake up.

7) Room service will provide it. Maybe the Barista can as well. Never tried it.

8) We don't tip for room service as that's part of your normal fare. We DO tip the cabin attendant & wait staff, if we have the same ones(you can request to sit where a server is that you like)

9) You may watch port info. on your TV, if you like, or go to the theater in person.

Re laundry detergent:  I think the ship would be unhappy to know you brought your own.  I sympathize with your dislike of powder detergents, but the ship uses detergent that is supposed to help the environment.  I don't think your liquid that you use at home would qualify.

It might have been better if you had checked with Oceania prior to the cruise to see if your detergent was acceptable.  It's a little late now ...

We also haven't tipped for room service -- we don't use it very often but even when I've been prepared to do so, the waiters are out of there so fast I haven't had a chance.  We do tip extra for room stewards and butlers who give exemplary service -- and they always have.