Confiscating fans?

farmer92

Hello all, I was wondering for those of you that has cruised carnival out of Miami,  hows the fan policing going?   Its been hit or miss with me in the past, but I have had my fan confiscated a coupe times.  It has been 3 years since we sailed out of Miami and was curious if they have gotten worse or eased a bit . Thanks in advance 

Sailed out of Miami last year and didn't have a problem. I always take it with me in my carry-on. If it were in my checked luggage and they confiscated it, I wouldn't know until we got to our cabin. But since I have it with me, if terminal security want to argue about it, I can plead my case right then & there. I had it in my backpack last year and they didn't say a word.

I had my fan confiscated at Port Canaveral when sailing on Liberty several years ago when the fan was in luggage we dropped off with porters. Since then I have always put the fan in my carry on bag (similar to what Choas stated ) and no one has ever said a word to me about it. 

As someone who hasn't cruised Carnival in a few years, curious about the fan confiscation.  I went to Carnival's FAQ in regards to prohibited items and do not see fans on the list.  However I guessing that sometimes they do confiscate them.  Curious about the consensus on why they would be confiscating fans.

40 minutes ago, gatour said:

As someone who hasn't cruised Carnival in a few years, curious about the fan confiscation.  I went to Carnival's FAQ in regards to prohibited items and do not see fans on the list.  However I guessing that sometimes they do confiscate them.  Curious about the consensus on why they would be confiscating fans.

Bad cords

10 hours ago, gatour said:

Terminal security are employed by the port, not Carnival, so occasionally they get a little overzealous in regards to items that are and aren’t allowed. And it’s possible that the person is simply unaware that an item is allowed. And some look closer than others. I’ve seen a lot of people say they’ll print out the info from Carnival saying something is allowed just to have proof. For things like fans, power strips, extension cords, etc., they’re often looking at condition. As long as something’s in good condition, there shouldn’t be an issue. 

My portable fan is an old O2Cool brand. I bought it more than a decade ago, but it’s still in great shape, the cord is in great condition, and it’s even in its original box. 

On 8/25/2019 at 2:44 PM, Elaine5715 said:

Bad cords

Thanks.

I also did some follow up research.  While not directly related to cruises, their is a concern about how fans attract lint, dust etc near the motor which causes the motors to overheat and ignite. 

Also, if the blades become blocked, the motor can overheat and catch fire.

It was just a headscratcher about why a fan would be banned.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gatour said:

Thanks.

I also did some follow up research.  While not directly related to cruises, their is a concern about how fans attract lint, dust etc near the motor which causes the motors to overheat and ignite. 

That is very ture.  Take a peek at some people's fans, gross.

1 hour ago, gatour said:

Thanks.

For our fans that we use regularly around the house, I clean them every so often. One of the best ways is with an air compressor. The motors are usually vented and compressed air is great for blowing out all the dust trapped in there. And for blowing out the grills too. Or I'll use the vacuum with a brush sometimes. For the blades, I'll take them off and wash them, or clean them with a rag if they aren't removable. Aside from causing stress on the motor, the blades push out more air when they're clean. Dirt build-up along the edges of the blades really can affect airflow. One tabletop fan we use is every bit of 25 years old. It was a fan I used when I was younger. Still works great. And I also have an even older one that was in the family. All metal, including metal blades. The "safety" cage around it offers no safety at all, that's how old it is, but it still works like a charm. It's only a 6" or 8" fan, but puts out more air than most modern, bigger fans. I don't think I'd make it on the ship with that one, though. 😁

On 8/25/2019 at 8:30 PM, lensonlife said:

We sailed in July on Horizon out of Miami and had a little usb fan that we quite liked for noise! Was breezy, too- but it was the noise I needed.  No issue at all. Purchased fan from Amazon- very inexpensive. 

Could you post the link to the one you bought, please?  I have a small sound machine but a fan that has some noise & is also breezy would be great.  

41 minutes ago, RTR 21-0 said:

Could you post the link to the one you bought, please?  I have a small sound machine but a fan that has some noise & is also breezy would be great.  

I also have one that Twodaywonder posted, but I have 38 days coming up on cruise ships, and didn’t want to deal with batteries, so I just purchased this rechargeable USB one on Amazon. I have tried it at home and it is pretty powerful.

DE626C5D-E12B-4675-A6C1-F2F8E53EF988.png