New Silversea Cruiser and on the Shadow - Need Ideas!

Denny01

Hello All

OK, going to ask the inevitable asked by newbys such as I.......going on the Shadow in April and been reading the threads here and the reviews, but please share what is your favorite thing or place on the Shadow. What to do, what Not to miss. It’s a small ship compared to the one’s I’ve cruised on, mainly Celebrity and other similar Lines and once on a 950passenger Crystal, so I’ve been on a similar ‘all inclusive’ type, but what is special, what is neat about Silversea and specifically the Shadow. 

I enjoy dining, but not a foodie; love to meet new people; like playing cards (hacker at Bridge, and play other games that allowed talking and laughing so not a serious player) and love trivia games. Not a big pool person or ‘sunner’ but do like dipping a bit, and love watching the ocean run by and reading. 

So that‘s what I enjoy. How does the Shadow line up with those?

Started a Roll Call for the 23 Apr 2020 Shadow Med  cruise, but fully understand that with 350+ passengers, there won’t be many CC’s on it....not quite like some of the other 80+ page Roll Calls of other cruises I’ve been on. 

Greatly appreciate sharing and ideas. thanks in advance. 

Den

Actually, the Shadow in April will in many ways be a different -- and probably even better -- ship than any of us have sailed on.  Silversea/RCCL are making significant investments in the ship this fall in a longish dry dock.  Nonetheless, it will doubtless remain the case that crew will try to fill any reasonable request -- so feel free to make them (realizing that crew are serving other guests as well!)  And you might consider making a contribution (at Reception) to the Crew Welfare Fund, recognizing all crew including the "invisible" crew in laundry, galley, engine room, etc.

Edited by Observer

Thank you. When’s the Reception that we make the contribution. Is it done via cash or OBC addition or check? Do you also provide tips to select crew such as the butler and a special bartender/server? I realize gratuities are part of the basic costs. 

I read a bit about the renovation and sounds major. 

Den

48 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

Thank you. When’s the Reception that we make the contribution. Is it done via cash or OBC addition or check? Do you also provide tips to select crew such as the butler and a special bartender/server? I realize gratuities are part of the basic costs. 

I read a bit about the renovation and sounds major. 

Den

Reception = the Reception (Guest Relations) desk.  It's not a party.   The contribution must be made as an easy "cash advance" at Reception.  It is part of your bill with onboard charges, but no OBC can be applied to this contribution.  Tipping is a very personal and controversial manner.  I always tip butler and suite attendant.  Then I will tip waiters or bartenders or others with whom I have more than casual interaction.

Hi my friend Denny:classic_biggrin: I have not sailed Shadow but I have sailed with SS twice over the last 2 years and I LOVED both cruises:classic_smile:…..one on the Spirit and one on the Whisper.  You know I have many, many Celebrity cruises from the past but after being on SS, I LOVE the small ship experience:classic_biggrin:.....I am actually looking at the Edge but just not sure I want to sail a big ship again. (I got spoiled).  As for comparing it to Celebrity? It is not a fair comparison (in my opinion anyway)……..just totally different experiences.  The entire ambiance is just different...…..smaller in size and less guests to start with......that is the biggest difference but food and service (for me)….much better on SS but again, they are not serving 2500-3000 guests.

I hope you love your SS cruise!

Thanks Lois!

Did the small ship on Crystal and had convinced myself that it wasn’t worth the extra costs and headed back to Celebrity, but just find ourselves trying river cruises on small ships and starting to think it’s worth the extra cost to give it a go with ocean cruising. This Silverseas cruise is very port-intensive with only one sea day so that appears to be one of the positive of small ship cruising. Guess I’ll be going small ship for good port cruising and mainline for TA’s and and lots of at sea days - until I fall for these cruises and enjoy them at sea!! Who knows. Hope there’s a lot to do at sea. 

Sounds like dining is a real cut above, and understand it’s open seating within a set time. Looking forward to that. How is dining in the SR and how about the other dining venues? Is there a buffet or mainly sit down.

Haven’t seen the shore tours yet because they don’t open up until 4 months or so prior. Are they like other MainlIne tours, just a big smaller crowds? Add we like to dance, so is ther live music or what? 

Thanks all in advance. 

Den

Hi Denny, the SR? Did you mean DR? (dining room?) I thought the food was very good on both of my sailings.:classic_smile:.  They don't offer a buffet at dinner. They have La Terraza (Italian) and The Grill by the pool.

In the evenings it is set up that you can cook your own steak (Called Hot Rocks) or they will do it for you.

They also have a La Dame (French) and I believe there is another restaurant too....my mind is blank on

the name....oh wait, Indochine I think.....

From what I have read, Crystal is supposed to be a cut above as well.

One of our favorite places on the Shadow is the Observation lounge on deck 9 overlooking the bow.  There is no bar there, but if you want a drink, just call room service and it will be delivered to you.  I understand that the refirb will include the addition of The Arts Cafe.  We enjoyed it on the Muse for light snacks all day long.  I assume that it will be similar on the Shadow.

If you think you might like to dine in either La Terrazza or La Dame (upcharge), then you should go online 120 days prior to sailing to make reservations.  They can be changed once on board, but it is better to have them than be shut out.

We prefer having pre-dinner drinks in the Panorama Lounge on deck 8 rather than the main bar on deck 5.  The bar is more lively and noisy while the Panorama Lounge gives you the opportunity to gaze out the windows or, weather permitting, have your drinks on the aft deck which is lovely especially on a port intensive cruise.

Tipping is a very subjective matter, but you should know that tips are included in your fare.  Having said that, we do contribute significantly to the Crew Welfare Fund rather than to any individual crew member.  You should also be aware that a $1/day donation to the owner's foundation is added to your bill, but you can opt out by going to the Reception Desk and saying you do not want to participate.

Above all, if you want something, just ask for it.  They will do everything possible to accommodate your request.  

Hope you have a wonderful trip.

25 minutes ago, Emtbsam said:

You should also be aware that a $1/day donation to the owner's foundation is added to your bill, but you can opt out by going to the Reception Desk and saying you do not want to participate.

I was surprised that this charge was NOT added to our bill on our recent Silver Cloud voyage. It never appeared on our bill and therefore we never had to ask for it to be removed. Was hoping that this charity donation had run its course and was no more. Is it still there on the classic ships?

20 hours ago, jpalbny said:

I was surprised that this charge was NOT added to our bill on our recent Silver Cloud voyage. It never appeared on our bill and therefore we never had to ask for it to be removed. Was hoping that this charity donation had run its course and was no more. Is it still there on the classic ships?

It was on our Wind cruise in April, but was the first time for at least 3 prior to that. I thought they may have recorded it's removal and not put it back, but clearly that's not the case.

That's one SS practice I will certainly love to see the back of.

J-P  We received the information about the charity in the suite and filled out the opt out form.  I never checked to see if it had been posted prior to that day, but if it was, it was removed before the end of the trip.

Denny01 -  Also, if there is something that you do not like, be sure to say something to the appropriate department head or Hotel Director.