Hurricane Dorian talk

3 hours ago, Coralc said:

It's a honeymoon. But just take it later. Have a mini honeymoon for now, take the 100% credit and book another cruise sometime in the future. 

My honeymoon was Madeline Ialand...after everything was closed for the season. No food anywhere. My new husband apologized and promised Hawaii the next year.

35 years later and I have yet to see a pineapple.

It's life. Disappointments, but more highlights. Do a mini now, better later!

12 minutes ago, Cherries Jubilee said:

Is it true that you cannot use any of your future cruise credit as your down payment on a new cruise? Do you really have to pay the $750 deposit first and then use the fcc to pay the rest?

Correct, the deposit always has to be a new charge.

"How can they drastically change a cruise by knocking off 2 days and not give the guests refunds?"

"They"??? Don't you mean Dorian drastically changed your cruise! And they are giving refunds, just not in the way you want. There are still passengers who want to go, so the ship has staff to pay, provisions to pay for and port fees/taxes to pay.  So the best scenario for the line is to offer some OBC/reimbursement or a voucher.  How is this not fair under the current situation?

Why do people not see this as a natural disaster and that the cruise lines...all of them...make their decisions based on what's best for all involved.  It's amazing how entitled and "It's all about me" people have become... unwilling to reason.  I would be glad of these decisions if I were on any of the impacted cruises.  We will be fine on Sept. 7.  But if it were me on 8/31 or 9/3, I would cut my losses and take the voucher, plan my next cruise for April.  Simple.  We didn't have a honeymoon till 6 months later when I got married...no problem.  Life's an adventure...savor it.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

We do have to slide the accordion shutters on the balcony.  Overall it takes about ten minutes to button up our place.

Mom’s condo originally had the aluminum accordions in the 80s when mom and dad bought it.  In the 90s the switched to the power rollers. We even have one at home of the office in the garage. They key is when the notion is done always make sure the switch is in the neutral position other wise the motor could burn out. 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Mom’s condo originally had the aluminum accordions in the 80s when mom and dad bought it.  In the 90s the switched to the power rollers. We even have one at home of the office in the garage. They key is when the notion is done always make sure the switch is in the neutral position other wise the motor could burn out. 

I think the switch on my kitchen window is shorted out. 

1 hour ago, tface023 said:

It ends up looking worse for Wednesday sailings, though. 

Yeah. My daughter is on the Allure. Originally scheduled to disembark on Sunday, now it’s Wednesday. Might have it better if they disembark tomorrow?

1 hour ago, BecciBoo said:

"How can they drastically change a cruise by knocking off 2 days and not give the guests refunds?"

"They"??? Don't you mean Dorian drastically changed your cruise! And they are giving refunds, just not in the way you want. There are still passengers who want to go, so the ship has staff to pay, provisions to pay for and port fees/taxes to pay.  So the best scenario for the line is to offer some OBC/reimbursement or a voucher.  How is this not fair under the current situation?

Why do people not see this as a natural disaster and that the cruise lines...all of them...make their decisions based on what's best for all involved.  It's amazing how entitled and "It's all about me" people have become... unwilling to reason.  I would be glad of these decisions if I were on any of the impacted cruises.  We will be fine on Sept. 7.  But if it were me on 8/31 or 9/3, I would cut my losses and take the voucher, plan my next cruise for April.  Simple.  We didn't have a honeymoon till 6 months later when I got married...no problem.  Life's an adventure...savor it.

They make their decisions on what is best for the bottom line of the cruise line and only the bottom line. We are not stupid.....now the only stop the cruise line had is now closed. It's a one day cruise now......that is supposed to take the place of my paid for and non refundable 5 day cruise.......ya ok.....

Does anyone know if we will get some of the tax and port fees refunded? On Harmony we originally had Coco Cay, St. Thomas and St. Maarten, and now we just have Labadee. Seems like there should be less fees charged now.

10 minutes ago, cello56 said:

Does anyone know if we will get some of the tax and port fees refunded? On Harmony we originally had Coco Cay, St. Thomas and St. Maarten, and now we just have Labadee. Seems like there should be less fees charged now.

Possible, but it won't be much.  When we've missed a port, we've gotten a few dollars back on our onboard account.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, bclinton said:

They make their decisions on what is best for the bottom line of the cruise line and only the bottom line. We are not stupid.....now the only stop the cruise line had is now closed. It's a one day cruise now......that is supposed to take the place of my paid for and non refundable 5 day cruise.......ya ok.....

Bottomline...You should not be cruising the Caribbean in the months of August/September. When one books this type of cruise in these months, one should fully expect issues w/ weather. Hurricanes did not just suddenly start happening this year. They happen every year and if one books a cruise during this time frame, one should fully understand the refund/cancellations reprocussions when it occurs. 

Live and learn.  

Edited by Goodtime Cruizin
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Bottomline...You should not be cruising the Caribbean in the months of August/September. When one books this type of cruise in these months, one should fully expect issues w/ weather. Hurricanes did not just sufdenly start happening this year. They happen every year and if one books a cruise during this time frame, one should fully understand the refund/cancellations reprocussions when it occurs. 

Live and learn.  

How about the cruise line not schedule anything during hurricane season? You put all the responsibility on the traveler. The traveler pays for something...if they don't receive it they should be refunded their money. How is that such a stretch?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not having sailed during hurricane season, if a cruise is shortened, itinerary changed because of one, it certainly isn't the cruise lines fault. Both they and those sailing will be affected that is the risk one takes so we should try and make the best of the trip. I extend prayers to all who will be affected in FL and hope they will be safe.  

7 minutes ago, Desert Cruizers said:

Not having sailed during hurricane season, if a cruise is shortened, itinerary changed because of one, it certainly isn't the cruise lines fault. Both they and those sailing will be affected that is the risk one takes so we should try and make the best of the trip. I extend prayers to all who will be affected in FL and hope they will be safe.  

I have no problem with that but changing a 5 day cruise to a 1 day in and out cruise with no stops and calling it even is pretty absurd.

14 minutes ago, bclinton said:

How about the cruise line not schedule anything during hurricane season? You put all the responsibility on the traveler. The traveler pays for something...if they don't receive it they should be refunded their money. How is that such a stretch?

Why?

Because I and thousands of other cruisers get it. We understand it. It's typically the cheapest time of the year to sail the Caribbean but it has it's risks.

So...Accept responsibility.

YOU had a choice. YOU booked it. YOU didn't do your due diligence. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, LadyBeBop said:

Yeah. My daughter is on the Allure. Originally scheduled to disembark on Sunday, now it’s Wednesday. Might have it better if they disembark tomorrow?

Absolutely, as a 9/1 Allure cruise hopeful, I still cannot believe they didn’t do similar to the equinox and have an early departure tomorrow.  

• Like 1

Who could have ever guessed in a 24 hour period that EVERYTHING the cruise companies rightfully did to keep everyone safe and “happy” is the complete opposite of what could have happened. Bright and sunny at all ports today with ZERO issues with disembarking and embarkings scheduled and it looks like tomorrow could have been business as usual also. Mother Nature at her cruelest!! It literally looks like the only changes the cruise lines had to make is moving a bunch of Bahama stops.

Now those people that could have been business as usual today and moved until Wednesday may have a bigger mess to deal with when they are planning to get off the ships.

damned if you do damned if you don’t.😕

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, bclinton said:

I have no problem with that but changing a 5 day cruise to a 1 day in and out cruise with no stops and calling it even is pretty absurd.

That would be rough, I would think under those circumstances, better to cancel the whole cruise and  compensate with a FCC or something.