Hurricane Dorian talk

Well I think that is about the end of the drama where Dorian is concerned, Miami is gorgeous, people are reporting their cruises are going on regardless of losing 1 day and most are happy with the turnout.  Still crossing fingers for those up north, hopefully Dorian will just go away...........To those who were offended by my comments which were never intended to be hurtful nor incompassionate at all, have a nice week.  To those  who wanted to pick a fight with me...God bless you, you need a little blessing.

I think any disruption of plans is horrible, and I feel worse for people who have no flexibility or options with vacation or work or school or airlines. We once got cancelled 36 hrs before our timeshare week in the Atlantis because of a hurricane heading right there. And it didn't hit despite looking like ground zero. So we had to transfer ours to Gatlinburg. Premium timeshare replaced by a 1 star.

But, we knew when we bought one in the Bahamas in the fall season that our price was lower because it was hurricane season. We figured over the years we'd be able to go more often than not, and we have been right.

Good luck to everyone jumping through hoops from this one. And, as we reflect on Florida's escape and the irony of all these cruises getting screwed up by a hurricane that changed its own itinerary, maybe we should take a moment to reflect on the fate of the people in the islands whose lives are getting more seriously upended as we bicker over whether FCC is adequate, etc.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Look he's been registered w/ Cruise Critic since 2014. He's 5 years experienced at cruising. He knows what ghe's buying. What he didn't know is that RCL doesn't think he's entitled to be different than anyone else. As far as empathy. I have it. But with the residents of Florida in harm's way, not a cruiser that comes onto this board bitching about his pity party. He rolled the dice and lost out on his cruise. He's not being ripped off either. He's being issued FCC. He wants cash or credit card credit. That aint happening. 

As far as the Galveston Cruise. I'm not sure what cruise a few are speaking to but if it's the RCL cruise on the Navigator back in 2014 that was detained due to the oil spill, everybody on that cruise received 100% cash/credit back plus an additional 25% FCC. Royal has always taken care of their cruisers and always will. 

He may not like how he gets his refund, but he'll get one. 

RC really screwed up some passengers when they were trying to find out if the cruise was going to be canceled or not. They had flights to catch, but didn't want to fly into an area that was going to be hit by a big one. IIRC RC didn't let them know until just hours before and I think that was when the port said they would be closed. The airport had already closed and the passengers would have to find another way to get there or lose their money. It was a big mess for the passengers. I tried finding the actual thread on here, but couldn't. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/amp/Scathing-suit-filed-against-Royal-Caribbean-for-12240773.php

1 hour ago, orville99 said:

You’re always welcome on our soon to be 0 day harmony cruise😎. Just got a message in the cabin that our current cruise is now officially a 10 night western cruise, and that they’ve extended the beverage, internet, and dining packages for the duration at 0 cost. So at this rate, we can stay on here as long as it takes them to figure out what to do next. 

Lucky you. Wished I was "stuck" on that cruise. Free extra days would be nice for us.

Edited by ReneeFLL

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

Just spoke with a neighbor who is a Carnivsl greeter at the Port. He was told they are off until Thursday. 

Wednesday not looking good

Don’t remember carnival having any cruises scheduled to depart pc on Wednesday’s, but they do their 3 nighters on thursdays, so maybe that’s a normal work schedule for them. Just watched a live feed of a carnival ship departing pc this afternoon, so not sure what they’re doing regarding Dorian. 

1 hour ago, tface023 said:

So the current plan is for the Harmony to return on Thursday?

Have not received any word from captain johnny about any changes - but the next update from Miami isn’t until 6pm this evening.

Majesty of the Seas

Ship is still on It’s “original five days”. We were supposed to add on two days (one extra sea day and Nassau).  That is still the plan as we sit berthed in Cozumel, but Captain just announced we will remain a second day here before setting sail for Nassau and just have one sea day in between Cozumel and Nassau.

I imagine a lot of things are still in flux.  Stay safe, everybody.

23 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Don’t remember carnival having any cruises scheduled to depart pc on Wednesday’s, but they do their 3 nighters on thursdays, so maybe that’s a normal work schedule for them. Just watched a live feed of a carnival ship departing pc this afternoon, so not sure what they’re doing regarding Dorian. 

I think the one that came in today was a Thursday - Monday sailing. They came back today to offload some folks who did not want to sail around the Western Caribbean for 4 extra days

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

RC really screwed up some passengers when they were trying to find out if the cruise was going to be canceled or not. They had flights to catch, but didn't want to fly into an area that was going to be hit by a big one. IIRC RC didn't let them know until just hours before and I think that was when the port said they would be closed. The airport had already closed and the passengers would have to find another way to get there or lose their money. It was a big mess for the passengers. I tried finding the actual thread on here, but couldn't. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/amp/Scathing-suit-filed-against-Royal-Caribbean-for-12240773.php

Lucky you. Wished I was "stuck" on that cruise. Free extra days would be nice for us.

Agree, at least Royal was being Proactive this time. Can't win either way. Still sorry for those that loose out with reduced Cruise though I'd have loved been on the 6niter that became 12...

Edited by ONECRUISER

I fantasize about living near the Florida coast, but the hurricane factor intimidates me. The thought of significant water damage, when hundreds or thousands of people need the same trades people to do repairs, would be so stressful; that kind of scares me.

As for the cruising and storms, we haven't suffered that problem yet (only cruising out of Galveston and dodging Harvey by only a week or two), but probably our day is coming. I am truly sorry for the stress and disappointment families face. May God bless, encourage you, and keep you safe!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jzx1103 said:

I think one thing RCL or any other cruiselines should do in these cases is offer Future Cruise Credit but with a expiration of 2 years instead of 1 year. That will solve alot of the issues. It gives people more flexibility and a chance to rebook future cruises at the same possible great deal they found for the ruined hurricane cruise.

I LOVE THIS IDEA!! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, orville99 said:
4 hours ago, Karter said:

Just out of curiosity how much are they charging for the 4 day cruise?

Ov balcony midship $798 all in

Report is that the folks on the Navigator can extend for $200 balcony, $250 suite guarantee for the following 2-nighter.

2 hours ago, orville99 said:

You’re always welcome on our soon to be 0 day harmony cruise😎. Just got a message in the cabin that our current cruise is now officially a 10 night western cruise, and that they’ve extended the beverage, internet, and dining packages for the duration at 0 cost. So at this rate, we can stay on here as long as it takes them to figure out what to do next. 

Wasn't it officially a 10 night cruise when they changed the itinerary late Thursday night to be returning on Wednesday?   

This is upsetting us.

first our Harmony cruise gets postponed.  Being the glass half full type of people, we say OK now we can have a hurricane party.  Now the hurricane is most likely not coming to Orlando so we can’t have the party.  What are we going to do, 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, itsmeagain said:

This is upsetting us.

first our Harmony cruise gets postponed.  Being the glass half full type of people, we say OK now we can have a hurricane party.  Now the hurricane is most likely not coming to Orlando so we can’t have the party.  What are we going to do, 😂

Me too! I'm so heartbroken!

4 hours ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Look he's been registered w/ Cruise Critic since 2014. He's 5 years experienced at cruising. He knows what ghe's buying. What he didn't know is that RCL doesn't think he's entitled to be different than anyone else. As far as empathy. I have it. But with the residents of Florida in harm's way, not a cruiser that comes onto this board bitching about his pity party. He rolled the dice and lost out on his cruise. He's not being ripped off either. He's being issued FCC. He wants cash or credit card credit. That aint happening. 

As far as the Galveston Cruise. I'm not sure what cruise a few are speaking to but if it's the RCL cruise on the Navigator back in 2014 that was detained due to the oil spill, everybody on that cruise received 100% cash/credit back plus an additional 25% FCC. Royal has always taken care of their cruisers and always will. 

He may not like how he gets his refund, but he'll get one. 

Pretty sure it was the Hurricane that hit Houston. Without Goggling it, don’t recall the name. 

Caution mongering. No one in Florida is out of the woods until this storm is well past us. It hasn't even turned yet and people are acting like its a sure thing. Most frustrating are the people thinking the projections from today are a sure thing when just yesterday they had the storm right over Florida. They could change just as much again in the next 24 hours.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, orlandok said:

Caution mongering. No one in Florida is out of the woods until this storm is well past us. It hasn't even turned yet and people are acting like its a sure thing. Most frustrating are the people thinking the projections from today are a sure thing when just yesterday they had the storm right over Florida. They could change just as much again in the next 24 hours.

I agree but to only post the one worst case  scenario is not a good thing to most of us here. We already have people freaking out. I passed 3 gas stations out of gas and only one had 87 octane. My Harley’s require at least 91/93. 

6 hours ago, Jzx1103 said:

I think one thing RCL or any other cruiselines should do in these cases is offer Future Cruise Credit but with a expiration of 2 years instead of 1 year. That will solve alot of the issues. It gives people more flexibility and a chance to rebook future cruises at the same possible great deal they found for the ruined hurricane cruise.

The FCC’s only need to be booked within a year.  You can have a sailing date further out.  For example if you wait until the new itineraries are released this December then you could book a cruise that doesn’t sail until April of 2022.