Hurricane Dorian talk

Does anyone but me think that cruises that have a stop next week in Nassau probably won't be going to Nassau? I feel so bad for the people of Nassau and the Bahamas. They are going to get hit bad. I don't think they will be ready to take ships Thursday & Friday. The storm is going to then hit here in SC.

28 minutes ago, broadwaycam said:

Does anyone but me think that cruises that have a stop next week in Nassau probably won't be going to Nassau? I feel so bad for the people of Nassau and the Bahamas. They are going to get hit bad. I don't think they will be ready to take ships Thursday & Friday. The storm is going to then hit here in SC.

Dorian is hitting northwestern Bahamas, not Nassau.

Coco Cay, on the other hand, may not exist when this is over.

What do we think the chances are for ships docking into Canaveral on Wednesday ?  Dorian will be well north according to latest tracks but if it does skirt closer to land all the people who work in the port surely won't be able to get there? 

We are supposed to be on Harmony but I'm having big doubts 

SilentChill--it is all going to depend on the storm surge and exact track.  My forecaster is watching carefully what happens over the Bahamas to have a better sense, but says the storm surge is going to be bad (somewhere along the east coast) no matter the track.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, maxcat910 said:

SilentChill--it is all going to depend on the storm surge and exact track.  My forecaster is watching carefully what happens over the Bahamas to have a better sense, but says the storm surge is going to be bad (somewhere along the east coast) no matter the track.

Yeah I think RCL may of made another booboo here because to make everyone try and change flight/hotels/car hire again because they were too hasty is going to cause uproar.  I know it's the weather and cant be helped but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  We may get a 3 day cruise out of it at least 

7 minutes ago, SilentChill said:

Yeah I think RCL may of made another booboo here because to make everyone try and change flight/hotels/car hire again because they were too hasty is going to cause uproar.  I know it's the weather and cant be helped but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  We may get a 3 day cruise out of it at least 

Or had they waited they would be chastised just like NCL whose guests just found out the day before that they weren’t going to dock tomorrow.

This storm did many unexpected things.    Royal has long been criticized for waiting too long and not letting people know of their plans and now they are getting criticized for making a decision so that people could make plans.  They just can’t win. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 9

8 hours ago, JTJT1 said:

The issue that Im having is, I cant find anything in the same price range for a future cruise.  I booked myself, husband, and two kids under Kids Sail Free.  My son turns 13 in December, so I need to cruise before then.  And wait for another KSF promo.   Even pricing out the same ship in the same room category for just the 2 of us on any sail date is at minimum $460 more on a 4 day. 

If they would transfer our reservation to any date of their choice I would be more than content.  

Keep looking, last year after final payment they added kids sail free to our December cruise.

Good luck!

16 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Or had they waited they would be chastised just like NCL whose guests just found out the day before that they weren’t going to dock tomorrow.

This storm did many unexpected things.    Royal has long been criticized for waiting too long and not letting people know of their plans and now they are getting criticized for making a decision so that people could make plans.  They just can’t win. 

Yeah I totally agree I'm just disgruntled I guess. Also now seeing that Port Canaveral has closed the port for no reason I think it was they that made RCL make the decision.  There is  no way in this world PC will have tropical force winds in the next 24 hours unless Dorian speeds up to about 50 knots . It is what it is and we are not to bad we are still having a great time in Florida 

7 minutes ago, SilentChill said:

Yeah I totally agree I'm just disgruntled I guess. 

Hi SilentChill - as a FL resident I'm so sorry things have worked out this way for you and everyone else with cruise plans amid Dorian. No way else to say it - it sucks. :classic_sad:

Your post shows you are from the UK, and I just saw the 18z UKMet ensemble (global hurricane forecast model) and thought you'd like to see what the Brit models show - they're a little different because they still have a lot of runs thru the state, and are not all to the east:

PmMezLG.png

All the forecast models are trying to come out on top - after everything is over we'll see who was best with Dorian!

(BTW the German "Icon" model is the scariest with me, still showing Dorian plowing into S FL and then riding up the state)

• Like 1

Can't believe it.  People here worried about upgrades and future credits while people will probably die.  Hurricane will sit over Bahamas as a Cat 4 or Cat 5 for three days.  People there will lose everything and Coco Cay will no longer exist.  Could still score a direct hit on Florida which could cause $1 Trillion in damage.  Even a glancing blow will cause damage in the billions.  So stop complaining like spoiled brats and start praying!

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, irishgal432 said:

I wonder if any tas were able to get upgrades for their clients. Sailing on Wednesday in a Gs and would love an upgrade. 

You really think you're sailing Wednesday 🤔

I don't think we are 😥

• Like 1

SilentChill---I know you are frustrated, but even if the storm turns and tracks towards the Carolinas, the storm surge may be really bad all along from Florida on upwards---as I see in the messaging from the national hurricane center, for instance.  

>>Port Canaveral has closed the port for no reason

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Agree, proactive is better then last min even if Predictions were wrong. Royal was still right

1 hour ago, SeaHunt said:

Hi SilentChill - as a FL resident I'm so sorry things have worked out this way for you and everyone else with cruise plans amid Dorian. No way else to say it - it sucks. :classic_sad:

Your post shows you are from the UK, and I just saw the 18z UKMet ensemble (global hurricane forecast model) and thought you'd like to see what the Brit models show - they're a little different because they still have a lot of runs thru the state, and are not all to the east:

PmMezLG.png

All the forecast models are trying to come out on top - after everything is over we'll see who was best with Dorian!

(BTW the German "Icon" model is the scariest with me, still showing Dorian plowing into S FL and then riding up the state)

Fortunately the Euro model from 1-2 days ago been furthest off so far. Not to take away from there previous Hurricane predictions, sometimes get it closer to right sometimes not. 

2 hours ago, Giorgi-one said:

Can't believe it.  People here worried about upgrades and future credits while people will probably die.  Hurricane will sit over Bahamas as a Cat 4 or Cat 5 for three days.  People there will lose everything and Coco Cay will no longer exist.  Could still score a direct hit on Florida which could cause $1 Trillion in damage.  Even a glancing blow will cause damage in the billions.  So stop complaining like spoiled brats and start praying!

Chill! There is nothing wrong with someone wanting to know about upgrades or FCCs. You can't worry about the whole world the whole time or you won't enjoy your own life. Mother Nature is going to do what she wants to do and there isn't anything that's going to change it no matter what you do.

BTW, I wish the best of luck to everyone. 

Edited by ReneeFLL

16 hours ago, bclinton said:

They make their decisions on what is best for the bottom line of the cruise line and only the bottom line. We are not stupid.....now the only stop the cruise line had is now closed. It's a one day cruise now......that is supposed to take the place of my paid for and non refundable 5 day cruise.......ya ok.....

No, they make their decision based on safety first, business second.  You do realize they are losing revenue with all these changes, don't you.

And they are giving you various options.  If you don't want to go on the shortened option, you get a 100% future cruise credit.  So your funds are refunded - just not in the form you want them.    

You need to get over it

• Like 2

15 hours ago, bclinton said:

I have no problem with that but changing a 5 day cruise to a 1 day in and out cruise with no stops and calling it even is pretty absurd.

But of course they didn't call it even.

They gave you two very good options - Take the shortened cruise, get a refund in cash for days missed as well as future cruise credits.  Or pass on the shortened cruise and get a 100% future cruise credit

4 hours ago, SilentChill said:

Yeah I totally agree I'm just disgruntled I guess. Also now seeing that Port Canaveral has closed the port for no reason I think it was they that made RCL make the decision.  There is  no way in this world PC will have tropical force winds in the next 24 hours unless Dorian speeds up to about 50 knots . It is what it is and we are not to bad we are still having a great time in Florida 

I would suspect they closed the port to give the employees a chance to prepair or evacuate. Getting out of town is not easy at this point.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, tx121 said:

Bye bye Perfect Day. Always wondered why RCL invested so much on a small island prone to hurricanes. 

CoCo Cay will still be there, they have been through 100 hurricanes and they are still there.  They will not get the 150mph winds since they are on the West/SouthWest side of the storm, Grand Bahama and Nassau will get more of it.  Wind and water cleanup and replanting will fix it.  I am planning a great day in Coco Cay next week.  And a delightful sailaway from Miami on Saturday.  Our cruise has had no notices, no rescheduling, flights are unchanged....damn the torpedoes full steam ahead.

In fact, I will post photos of both for you.

I have every confidence that the infrastructure on Coco Cay will do just fine, albeit with damage. But Companies who spend billions developing a Caribbean island like this one take the needed precautions in construction.  Does anyone honestly believe they wouldn't??

Some people just love the drama.  FLame away

better.png

• Like 2

Ok there are 26 pages here, and a million comments so I', not going through all of them. Where is Coco Cay in relation to where the storm is? Is it to the south of the main island of the Bahamas? Is it expected to take a full on direct hit? RCI must have thought of all this before they built it, I'm sure they have plans in place for kind of thing.

8 minutes ago, JAMESCC said:

Ok there are 26 pages here, and a million comments so I', not going through all of them. Where is Coco Cay in relation to where the storm is? Is it to the south of the main island of the Bahamas? Is it expected to take a full on direct hit? RCI must have thought of all this before they built it, I'm sure they have plans in place for kind of thing.

CoCo Cay is about 70 miles south/southwest from Grand Bahamas and the storm is expected to just skirt the north side of  that island, so maybe a little further from the Cay.  The most damaging winds and surge are on the north/northeast side of the storm.  So I think this is good news for CoCo......Grand Bahamas will have the most damage and I pray they weather the storm with as little loss of life and property as possible.  But people who live there know what to expect and will prepare accordingly.  Hurricanes are just life in the Caribbean.  Just like Floridians, if you want to live there, you take the consequences along with the pleasures.  BTW, that is called being Pragmatic.  Like I said before, it has nothing to do with compassion, it's just taking your licks and moving on.  What else can one do?

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, JAMESCC said:

Coco Cay is almost directly on a line halfway between Nassau and Freeport.