Ultimate World Cruise 245 days and all the parts. Ongoing review, questions, opinion

Jim Avery

On 9/24/2019 at 10:05 AM, CCWineLover said:

12 hours ago, Rawmac said:

Did you know that if you start at https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/689-viking-ocean/

(the general list) some threads are "bold"  Those are the ones where you personally have unread threads.

If you click on the dot in front of the title of the thread you go to your first unread post.  So I bookmark https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/689-viking-ocean/ and go from there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, muddleaged said:

Did you know that if you start at https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/689-viking-ocean/

(the general list) some threads are "bold"  Those are the ones where you personally have unread threads.

If you click on the dot in front of the title of the thread you go to your first unread post.  So I bookmark https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/689-viking-ocean/ and go from there.

Yes.  So????  What's your point?  Mine is that , in future, it would be easier to find posts about, for example, specific ports, in shorter threads than in one enormous thread.  Whether I have read them in the past is irrelevant.

Prior to booking our upcoming World Cruise, we researched Jim's post and the other posters from the inaugural 2018 WC thread, which reached about 1,000 posts. If I am looking at a WC, then my preference is to have everything in 1 thread to save having to search for multiple threads.

Personally, since this WC includes numerous segments, I have enjoyed noting the difference between the first & 2nd segments and am looking forward to the differences on the subsequent segments. In my opinion, this thread is more about the ports visited, it is also about life aboard a WC and the subtle changes in each segment. This is best captured in a single thread.

Therefore, I am planning to add to this thread once we receive the mantle from Jim in L/A.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Therefore, I am planning to add to this thread once we receive the mantle from Jim in L/A.

We hope to share as well.

One thing I’m sorry for in the past, was not taking enough pictures of the ships I was on in my Navy days.  It was way before digital cameras and my focus was on the places I visited. 5-6k pictures over a 4 year tour and less than 2 dozen of shipboard life.  Sure wish I had more. I’m surprised I don’t see more of that here. After all, that too is part of the adventure. And pics of people, hardly any.  Don’t worry, we’ll change that from LA to London. 

• Like 1

Thanks again Tom.  Great shots.  What a perfect day in Montreal.  Cloudless sky and high around 65F.  So unlike rainy cold yesterday.  We did some serious hiking around the city and had a huge smoked meat sandwich at Schwartz's Deli.  Delicious.   A tiny, very crowded place but we got there just before the mob.  As we left there was a line outside.   We hear it is always jammed and for good reason.  Montreal is a beautiful city.  And while we were out and about, the deck crew is cleaning and WAXING the port side tenders.  No sun faded salt crusted tenders on Viking Sun.  It is truly amazing the level of cleaning and maintenance onboard.  More than any other passenger ship we have sailed.  

Yesterday was changeover day for the new segment Montreal to NYC.  We had dinner with new friends sadly leaving and said good bye to a number of others.  Whole bunch of new faces today.  Other than having to say good bye to new friends it is nice to see new people every now and then.  But again we have the emergency drill this evening.  No free pass for in transit passengers these days.  Tomorrow we are back in Quebec City.  According to the Port of Quebec City schedule we will be at one of the berths right at the old town.  No shuttles needed if that schedule holds.  I surely hope we have as good weather as we had during our port call there a few days ago.  And a bonus for this Bama fan, I was able to watch the Alabama/Ole Miss game by turning off the ship's wifi and streaming through my T-Mobile phone.  Roll Tide!  🍸

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bgtraveler2 said:

We found that Torshavn had the finest liquor selection on the ship!

Right you are.  There are drinks in Torshavn the other bars can't serve.  Knob Creek comes to mind.  Too bad, we must suffer along with Makers Mark and Jack Daniel's in the Viking Bar.  And only 5 types of vodka, shocking....😎🥃

9 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Prior to booking our upcoming World Cruise, we researched Jim's post and the other posters from the inaugural 2018 WC thread, which reached about 1,000 posts. If I am looking at a WC, then my preference is to have everything in 1 thread to save having to search for multiple threads.

Personally, since this WC includes numerous segments, I have enjoyed noting the difference between the first & 2nd segments and am looking forward to the differences on the subsequent segments. In my opinion, this thread is more about the ports visited, it is also about life aboard a WC and the subtle changes in each segment. This is best captured in a single thread.

Prefer one post.  Thx

• Like 2

14 hours ago, NY Nick said:

We hope to share as well.

One thing I’m sorry for in the past, was not taking enough pictures of the ships I was on in my Navy days.  It was way before digital cameras and my focus was on the places I visited. 5-6k pictures over a 4 year tour and less than 2 dozen of shipboard life.  Sure wish I had more. I’m surprised I don’t see more of that here. After all, that too is part of the adventure. And pics of people, hardly any.  Don’t worry, we’ll change that from LA to London. 

Dave - Another topic to chat about over the 4-months. I spent 7 years deep sea, before working ferries, and wish I took way more photos on the ship, especially the crews & the activities. Ports you can always revisit, but the people (crew) are constantly changing.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Right you are.  There are drinks in Torshavn the other bars can't serve.  Knob Creek comes to mind.  Too bad, we must suffer along with Makers Mark and Jack Daniel's in the Viking Bar.  And only 5 types of vodka, shocking....😎🥃

Do you happen to know which malt whisky brands are being served in the Explorer's lounge, Jim?  Hoping there might be a bottle or two of Laphroaig there when we board in Santiago 😀 or will we need to spend more time in Torshavn?

Jim, I second BorderLander123 question. Interested of single malt scotches available on board with Silver Package and Torshavn. That was for my DH. For me what kind of cognacs, Armagnac, and good Ports are available?

Unfortunately,, Viking is cutting down on the good stuff compare to 2-3 years ago.

Look forward meeting you in Santiago 🥂 

1 hour ago, CTBob said:

Hi, joining in NY and leaving in San Juan, does anyone on board play Mah Jongg and is the electronic table game OK to play on?  My wife wants to know.  And she is looking for players.  CTBob

I have seen lots of people playing mah-jongg in the second-floor atrium and on sea days there is usually a large group playing in Manfredi’s restaurant space around 10 o’clock.

2 hours ago, Tom.in.nc said:

I have seen lots of people playing mah-jongg in the second-floor atrium and on sea days there is usually a large group playing in Manfredi’s restaurant space around 10 o’clock.

Thanks Tom, we are also from NC.  I've been enjoying your photos.  CTBob

20 hours ago, 4rdream said:

Jim,  My wife Sue and I will be joining the cruise in Puerto Rico staying on til Santiago.  Could you tell me the flavors of tea available on board and the brand.  A lurker no more   Lance

Hi Lance,

Lurk no more...  I know they have a tea menu but I prefer Oolong so I just order that.  Maybe someone else who peruses the menu will chip in.  We enjoy tea about once a week.  Look forward to meeting y'all in PR.

23 hours ago, vnb2003 said:

Jim, I second BorderLander123 question. Interested of single malt scotches available on board with Silver Package and Torshavn. That was for my DH. For me what kind of cognacs, Armagnac, and good Ports are available?

Unfortunately,, Viking is cutting down on the good stuff compare to 2-3 years ago.

Look forward meeting you in Santiago 🥂 

vnb, I am not much of a Scotch guy so what I think might not be that valid.  Same for cognacs, etc.  Just a simple guy.....😳  Surely there are some out there that share similar tastes in drinks.🍸