Ultimate World Cruise 245 days and all the parts. Ongoing review, questions, opinion

Jim Avery

Saguenay is colder and windier today than 4 days ago on the inbound leg.  We were going to take the helicopter tour but it was cancelled due to winds.  So we bought some local cheese and returned home for another spa day.  Ran into Tom in NC and several others on the long cruise in the spa.  A little soaking in bubbles, a little sauna, a shower and ready to roll tonight.  What to eat?  What to eat?  🍸

5 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

vnb, I am not much of a Scotch guy so what I think might not be that valid.  Same for cognacs, etc.  Just a simple guy.....😳  Surely there are some out there that share similar tastes in drinks.🍸

Thank you Jim!  We like those for after dinner drinks ;)

Yesterday booked restaurants without problems! It’s getting excitingly close 🥂 😀

15 minutes ago, vnb2003 said:

Thank you Jim!  We like those for after dinner drinks 😉

Yesterday booked restaurants without problems! It’s getting excitingly close 🥂 😀

Hmmm, just check, reservations for the restaurants don't open till Nov 5th.?.  For us getting on in LA anyway.

Here we are exiting the St Lawrence Seaway on a sunny (how weird) day.  Random reported sightings of whale spouting but no real whale views.  I have to say yesterday I saw something while leaving Saguenay that in the entire Inaugural WC and a bit over a month so far this trip I have never seen while on this ship.  Tugboats.  It took two big tugs plus our thrusters to get us off the dock in Saguenay.  The Captain reported the winds to be 40 knots gusting to 45 knots.  It was nasty but our Captain got us out of there with no drama.  So, Saguenay, first trip in it was cold, rainy, and very windy.  4 days later it was worse!  I think Saguenay is off our bucket list for sure.  Only blowing 24 knots today according to the Captain's Noon report.  Choppy seas with a moderate swell but we are riding nicely.  In the low 40s F but several hardy souls are walking laps on deck.  We really need some warm sunny weather so the outdoor spaces can be used.  Like most ships, Viking Sun gets crowded when we are all kept indoors. But, we are slowly heading into the lower latitudes (Jimmy Buffett calls them the "little latitudes") so warm is out there somewhere.🥃

20 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Here we are exiting the St Lawrence Seaway on a sunny (how weird) day.  Random reported sightings of whale spouting but no real whale views.  I have to say yesterday I saw something while leaving Saguenay that in the entire Inaugural WC and a bit over a month so far this trip I have never seen while on this ship.  Tugboats.  It took two big tugs plus our thrusters to get us off the dock in Saguenay.  The Captain reported the winds to be 40 knots gusting to 45 knots.  It was nasty but our Captain got us out of there with no drama.  So, Saguenay, first trip in it was cold, rainy, and very windy.  4 days later it was worse!  I think Saguenay is off our bucket list for sure.  Only blowing 24 knots today according to the Captain's Noon report.  Choppy seas with a moderate swell but we are riding nicely.  In the low 40s F but several hardy souls are walking laps on deck.  We really need some warm sunny weather so the outdoor spaces can be used.  Like most ships, Viking Sun gets crowded when we are all kept indoors. But, we are slowly heading into the lower latitudes (Jimmy Buffett calls them the "little latitudes") so warm is out there somewhere.🥃

Well it's steamy in Puerto Rico.  90's for temperature AND humidity with little wind if any.   We call them 4 t-shirt, 3 shower days.  November usually gets better.

Yesterday we anchored off Gaspe.  The sun came out but still windy and cold.  Our day was tender ashore and walkabout the town of Gaspe.  Nice little place we would have explored more on a less windy day but we did find a grocery and pharmacy for some needed shopping.  Relaxing sea day today with intermittent sun and slight seas.  The wind has finally dropped and the air is overcast but clear with a sharp horizon.  Sea days are a real rhythm now that we have  been onboard for a month.  It really has passed quickly.  We are looking forward to Halifax tomorrow.  A place with an extensive history and the included tour is the Big Pink Hop on Hop off bus.  That should be something with most of us participating.  They pick us up at the berth so very convenient.  We have had good luck with the Ho-Ho busses we have used in various places.  A bit of looking forward as Boston and NYC are next up.  Both are favorite places and I used to work in and around NYC three different times.  Twice running ships in the coastwise trade.  One thing I am looking forward to is the projected entry into NYC.  The first Viking Daily of this segment showed the track from Montreal too NYC.  After leaving Boston this track showed us transiting the Cape Cod Canal, which would be much more interesting than out to sea around Cape Cod.  Then it shows us transiting inside Long Island and entering NYC at Hell Gate and going down the East River.  This is most unusual as most passenger ships approach NYC from the sea passing the famous Ambrose Light.  I have sent a note to the Captain asking if this posted track is in fact our route but, so far, have not heard back.  The entry from Ambrose is spectacular in its own way with the approach passing under the Verrazano Narrows Bridge then the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island to port before entering the North River enroute to our berth at berth 88 at the Manhattan passenger terminal.  Perfect docking location immediately North of the Intrepid at the West end of 48th st.  But the approach through Long Island Sound and the East River would be an amazing view of lots of NYC.  I used to run a coastwise tanker on this route regularly for two years.  Coming in from LI sound the beautiful bridges of New York are up close and seen in detail.  First would be the Throgs Neck Bridge with the US Merchant Marine Academy adjacent.  Next, the Whitestone Bridge.  Passing just off the end of the main runway at Laguardia Airport next up would be the famous (infamous) Rikers Island to port.  The Hell Gate bridge is, of course at Hell Gate, the main entry to the NYC portion of the East River.  At slack tide this area does not look like much but check it out at full flood.  Sometimes large vortex areas form.  The next bridge up is the Robert F Kennedy bridge (formerly the Triboro bridge). We would be seeing all these bridges, generally speaking, from newer to older.  The next up, after passing the entry to the Harlem River, and Roosevelt Island, is the Ed Koch Queensboro Bridge.  (formerly the 59th st bridge.)  For Simon and Garfinkel fans the 59th st bridge was one of their songs, The 59th Street Bridge Song.  Also known as "Feeling Groovy".  Moving on is the Williamsburg Bridge, the Manhattan Bridge and the Brooklyn Bridge.  These older bridges are really works of art.  The iron work on the Williamsburg and Manhattan bridges should be really close and visible from the upper decks.  Then the track would be between Governors Island and Manhattan, passing Battery Park before entering the North River.  The views on this route will be truly spectacular as we are entering in daylight.  I really hope we make this route.  When I hear back from the Captain I will confirm.  😎

• Like 7

43 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Yesterday we anchored off Gaspe.  The sun came out but still windy and cold.  Our day was tender ashore and walkabout the town of Gaspe.  Nice little place we would have explored more on a less windy day but we did find a grocery and pharmacy for some needed shopping.  Relaxing sea day today with intermittent sun and slight seas.  The wind has finally dropped and the air is overcast but clear with a sharp horizon.  Sea days are a real rhythm now that we have  been onboard for a month.  It really has passed quickly.  We are looking forward to Halifax tomorrow.  A place with an extensive history and the included tour is the Big Pink Hop on Hop off bus.  That should be something with most of us participating.  They pick us up at the berth so very convenient.  We have had good luck with the Ho-Ho busses we have used in various places.  A bit of looking forward as Boston and NYC are next up.  Both are favorite places and I used to work in and around NYC three different times.  Twice running ships in the coastwise trade.  One thing I am looking forward to is the projected entry into NYC.  The first Viking Daily of this segment showed the track from Montreal too NYC.  After leaving Boston this track showed us transiting the Cape Cod Canal, which would be much more interesting than out to sea around Cape Cod.  Then it shows us transiting inside Long Island and entering NYC at Hell Gate and going down the East River.  This is most unusual as most passenger ships approach NYC from the sea passing the famous Ambrose Light.  I have sent a note to the Captain asking if this posted track is in fact our route but, so far, have not heard back.  The entry from Ambrose is spectacular in its own way with the approach passing under the Verrazano Narrows Bridge then the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island to port before entering the North River enroute to our berth at berth 88 at the Manhattan passenger terminal.  Perfect docking location immediately North of the Intrepid at the West end of 48th st.  But the approach through Long Island Sound and the East River would be an amazing view of lots of NYC.  I used to run a coastwise tanker on this route regularly for two years.  Coming in from LI sound the beautiful bridges of New York are up close and seen in detail.  First would be the Throgs Neck Bridge with the US Merchant Marine Academy adjacent.  Next, the Whitestone Bridge.  Passing just off the end of the main runway at Laguardia Airport next up would be the famous (infamous) Rikers Island to port.  The Hell Gate bridge is, of course at Hell Gate, the main entry to the NYC portion of the East River.  At slack tide this area does not look like much but check it out at full flood.  Sometimes large vortex areas form.  The next bridge up is the Robert F Kennedy bridge (formerly the Triboro bridge). We would be seeing all these bridges, generally speaking, from newer to older.  The next up, after passing the entry to the Harlem River, and Roosevelt Island, is the Ed Koch Queensboro Bridge.  (formerly the 59th st bridge.)  For Simon and Garfinkel fans the 59th st bridge was one of their songs, The 59th Street Bridge Song.  Also known as "Feeling Groovy".  Moving on is the Williamsburg Bridge, the Manhattan Bridge and the Brooklyn Bridge.  These older bridges are really works of art.  The iron work on the Williamsburg and Manhattan bridges should be really close and visible from the upper decks.  Then the track would be between Governors Island and Manhattan, passing Battery Park before entering the North River.  The views on this route will be truly spectacular as we are entering in daylight.  I really hope we make this route.  When I hear back from the Captain I will confirm.  😎

Jim, what a wonderful post! Thank you very much :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim Avery said:

We are looking forward to Halifax tomorrow.  A place with an extensive history and the included tour is the Big Pink Hop on Hop off bus.  

If I'm not mistaken, the last time we were up there, they call this bus FRED.

Free

Rides

Every

Day

12 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Wow - Jim, that would be an amazing arrival. Didn't know larger ships could make it in that way.

What a lovely sea day we awoke to. Clear blue sunny skies with a sharp horizon. Slight seas, and light wind. Temp in the 50s F. Breathing the outside air is like a different substance from breathing the indoor air. I wish this ship was not so well sealed and that more outside air could be brought in.

still have not heard back from the Captain about NYC question. He is not very responsive. Not very visible among the passengers either compared to others we have sailed with. Will keep trying. 

Off to the gym for now 😱

1 hour ago, Jim Avery said:

What a lovely sea day we awoke to. Clear blue sunny skies with a sharp horizon. Slight seas, and light wind. Temp in the 50s F. Breathing the outside air is like a different substance from breathing the indoor air. I wish this ship was not so well sealed and that more outside air could be brought in.

still have not heard back from the Captain about NYC question. He is not very responsive. Not very visible among the passengers either compared to others we have sailed with. Will keep trying. 

Off to the gym for now 😱

Wish I could delete part of this post now.  Shortly after posting I ran into the Captain in the elevator.  He knew of my request and promised an answer soon.  In 30 minutes, of course I was in the shower, he personally delivered detail chart copies of our proposed track from Boston to NYC.  Yes, the Cape Cod Canal transit but then outside of Long Island for the traditional entry via Ambrose Light, Verrazano Narrows Bridge then past Quarrantine and the Statue of Liberty up the North River to our published berth 88 at the Manhattan Passenger terminal.  I had never seen any other cruise ship use the East River approach as spectacular as it would be but I fully understand the logistics of it.  We need to get the map people at the Viking Daily to brush up their accuracy.  It will be something everyone wants to be on deck for as we are scheduled there in daylight.  😎  Boston tomorrow and dinner with pals in the North End.  Love Boston. (except the Red Sox)......🍺

• Like 1

I’ve been wondering who your captain is on this part of the WC.  I know you started with Captain Olav for a couple of weeks, then switched.  On our WC Jan-May, we had Captain Olav the second half, and Captain Lars the first.  Liked them both.

8 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

I’ve been wondering who your captain is on this part of the WC.  I know you started with Captain Olav for a couple of weeks, then switched.  On our WC Jan-May, we had Captain Olav the second half, and Captain Lars the first.  Liked them both.

Same here. I believe they split  time on the Sun.

I want to thank all who have been posting from the WC.  Great insight and info.  

I've started wondering about the best way to prepare for our WC related to excursions.  My current process for cruising is to create a spreadsheet with days and excursions (1st and 2nd choice).  This is typically gleaned from past cruises, since typically, my planning starts before the excursions for my trip is published.  Now, I enjoy typing like the next man, but I'm hoping that there is a way to create a CSV file of days, destination, etc. to import rather than typing them in.  Any suggestions from the well seasoned traveler?

Thanks, Mad

1 hour ago, MadMarine said:

Now, I enjoy typing like the next man, but I'm hoping that there is a way to create a CSV file of days, destination, etc. to import rather than typing them in.  Any suggestions from the well seasoned traveler?

I just highlight and copy the itinerary from a well known vacation travel site. If you don’t know how to do that email me the ship name and cruise dates at cruzzzinma at gmail dot com.

5 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Wish I could delete part of this post now.  Shortly after posting I ran into the Captain in the elevator.  He knew of my request and promised an answer soon.  In 30 minutes, of course I was in the shower, he personally delivered detail chart copies of our proposed track from Boston to NYC.  Yes, the Cape Cod Canal transit but then outside of Long Island for the traditional entry via Ambrose Light, Verrazano Narrows Bridge then past Quarrantine and the Statue of Liberty up the North River to our published berth 88 at the Manhattan Passenger terminal.  I had never seen any other cruise ship use the East River approach as spectacular as it would be but I fully understand the logistics of it.  We need to get the map people at the Viking Daily to brush up their accuracy.  It will be something everyone wants to be on deck for as we are scheduled there in daylight.  😎  Boston tomorrow and dinner with pals in the North End.  Love Boston. (except the Red Sox)......🍺

Be sure to go to Mike's Pastry in the North End for the best cannoli!!!!!!

22 hours ago, Gigiandbaba said:

Be sure to go to Mike's Pastry in the North End for the best cannoli!!!!!!

Haha, that's for sure.  Boston.  So many great places to eat, so little room to put it all.  Boston is one of our favorite towns.  Love the food, history, food, architecture, and the food.  Spent the morning wandering about Faneuil Hall/QuincyMarket area with a few stops to replenish supplies and convert Canadian Dollars and Pounds Sterling to USD.  Had to have chowder and a meal at Legal Seafood.  A sunny and warm day for a change and everyone seems to be enjoying it.  Supposed to start raining sometime tonight.  We are meeting friends in the North End for Italian so hope the rain holds off till then.   

38 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Haha, that's for sure.  Boston.  So many great places to eat, so little room to put it all.  Boston is one of our favorite towns.  Love the food, history, food, architecture, and the food.  Spent the morning wandering about Faneuil Hall/QuincyMarket area with a few stops to replenish supplies and convert Canadian Dollars and Pounds Sterling to USD.  Had to have chowder and a meal at Legal Seafood.  A sunny and warm day for a change and everyone seems to be enjoying it.  Supposed to start raining sometime tonight.  We are meeting friends in the North End for Italian so hope the rain holds off till then.   

Another great place for lobster rolls is James Hook and Co, on Atlantic Ave

IMG_0302.jpeg

As a former Bostonian (and North End resident)...avoid Mikes and go to Modern Pastry.  Avoid Hook and go to Yankee Lobster (not far from Cruise Terminal).  And try some fresh bread from the Pannettiera behind Bricco.  Grab a Drink at Drink (in the seaport) and back in the North end, grab some Oysters at Neptune Oyster.