Ultimate World Cruise 245 days and all the parts. Ongoing review, questions, opinion

Jim Avery

We left with tears when you gave that last hug at the gangway.  The trip home was problematic for all.  The charter was much less than enjoyable and when we got to Newark we found that UAL (and perhaps others)  had cancelled all outgoing flights.  Viking booked us on the only game in town - JetBlue.  It was better than the charter.  Viking did an over the top job with horrendous logistics and we praise them to the skies.  Avis kept our reservation despite our arrival after midnight in Orlando when we got to the counter.  We were confused when the car wouldn't start before noticing it was a hybrid.  You are still safe in your luxury cocoon.  It's scary out here.

• Like 1

Jazmyn49, when you are settled in and more rested, I’m sure all of us who have been following your ongoing adventure would love to hear more details about the charter flight back to the U.S.   Welcome home.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

I am hoping some good comes from this.  Possible limits to crowding on ships and planes (one can dream) or for sure developing better air filtration and circulation systems for the sealed environments. Just like most of us, the "brain trusts" at the various travel lines are sitting around doing a lot of thinking.   I hope some better practices develop.  Time will tell.  

If they are thinking it will be about the best ways to turn your money into their money.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jazmyn49 said:

We left with tears when you gave that last hug at the gangway.  The trip home was problematic for all.  The charter was much less than enjoyable and when we got to Newark we found that UAL (and perhaps others)  had cancelled all outgoing flights.  Viking booked us on the only game in town - JetBlue.  It was better than the charter.  Viking did an over the top job with horrendous logistics and we praise them to the skies.  Avis kept our reservation despite our arrival after midnight in Orlando when we got to the counter.  We were confused when the car wouldn't start before noticing it was a hybrid.  You are still safe in your luxury cocoon.  It's scary out here.

I'm glad that you made it home. It's a lot scarier here than on the ship, for sure!

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, duquephart said:

If they are thinking it will be about the best ways to turn your money into their money.

Haha, yes.  What am I thinking?  Sort of like dreaming alligators become vegetarian..🍸

• Haha 1

I know Viking does its best re hygiene and, clearly, Coronavirus has not reared its ugly head on the World cruise, but to an extent cruise ships are petri dishes. I've caught a bad cold on several Viking ships so far. It's always laughed off as 'the ships cold' but it does put a crimp in enjoyment. I should say that I'm scrupulous at the hand washing and using the sanitiser in the World Cafe but other passengers certainly were not.

Its just a fact of life. Bugs (viruses) go round especially where people are in comparatively confined spaces. 

20 hours ago, DaveSJ711 said:

Each country is looking after its own interests.  That's understandable at one level and regrettable at another.

Whether we like it or not, cruise ships - including Viking ships - are now perceived as floating Petri dishes.  Just look at the Zaandam, and before that the Costa Luminosa, and before that the Grand Princess, and before that the Diamond Princess, and before that the Westerdam.  These debacles are cumulative.  They will have a lasting and negative impact on the cruise industry.

Yeah, unfortunately I believe you're right. It's likely this event is a game changer for the cruise / travel industry in general. Just who are these 30 ships that are still out there? Which lines? 

Edited by OnTheJourney

Look at 

2 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Yeah, unfortunately I believe you're right. It's likely this event is a game changer for the cruise / travel industry in general. Just who are these 30 ships that are still out there? Which lines? 

Look at vesselfinder. It shows ship locations all over the world. Several ships are on their way now to the Suez canal that were docked in Dubai and left before the Sun.  You can put in Viking Sun and it will show you where it is at any given time.

There is a “pod” of eleven or so cruisers anchored off of Coco Cay in the Bahamas.  Every night at 7:30 they all sound their horns just in greeting and to say they’re OK and thinking about the folks back home.  The Viking Sky has been anchored off Fort Lauderdale for about a week.  She came into Port Everglades and docked for 36-48 hours, probably for fuel and supplies - re Andy, a “technical stop”.  She’s now back out about where she was before.  You can look at fortlauderdale.com and with some patience move the map around to find her and others out there.  Other port cams are available from this site.  Port Miami is also interesting - three or four ships anchored out from there.

Someone has already suggested that the story of this cruise would make a great book but it would make an even better TV documentary. Working title "The Cruise that Beat the Virus" ?? 

The production technicians on board have the equipment and skills to gather material to illustrate the unique position that you and your fellow passengers have found themselves in. Then there is the angle of the hundreds of crew who have found themselves on the ship with just the 8 of you to serve. After all the bad press that the industry has had over recent weeks and months an upbeat film which highlighted the way Viking protected all of its customers (not just on The Sun but the other ships too) and gave you a such an extraordinarily luxurious voyage might be helpful in connecting people with the idea of cruising with Viking again once all this is passed.

This is something that the officers would need to run by HQ of course, and HQ would have copyright and editorial control on what was made public. Most of all it would require some or all of you to give permission to have your activities and the occasional meal filmed from time to time while the voyage goes on. Though if there were some "Honorary Crew" who wished to remain anonymous then they could be blurred out in post production.

Even if the techs just got lots of "B Roll" (supplementary) video then the story could be told through interviews filmed later. A documentary would certainly give all the crew-mates on the ship something to show their grandchildren 😀

Having been a photojournalist for quite a few years in my early career I would encourage Viking to get this unique voyage documented as well as possible while they can. They can figure out what to do with the footage later but once the event and the opportunity is gone it is gone!

Really fantastic photos of the birds and flying fish on the blog by the way - do put some of them up on here too if you can!

Edited by photopro2
  • Like 3

Andy, thanks for the continuing updates, here and on your blog. The name badges are a brilliant shout out to the officers, staff and crew, and will be a treasured family heirloom - albeit earned under very tough circumstances.

Safe home. 🍺

• Like 3

I was looking at the position and location of the Sun this morning and noticed the destination is  ARMED GUARDS. Is this what I think it means? Andy, are there ARMED GUARDS with you? It looks like you are off the coast of Somalia. I also noticed another cruise ship that states ARMED GUARDS ON BOARD. If there are guards on board, when did they arrive and where will they get off? How many and how heavily armed? Sounds a little scary but I know Viking takes every precaution to keep pax and crew safe.

4 hours ago, Insanityx4 said:

I was looking at the position and location of the Sun this morning and noticed the destination is  ARMED GUARDS. Is this what I think it means? Andy, are there ARMED GUARDS with you? It looks like you are off the coast of Somalia. I also noticed another cruise ship that states ARMED GUARDS ON BOARD. If there are guards on board, when did they arrive and where will they get off? How many and how heavily armed? Sounds a little scary but I know Viking takes every precaution to keep pax and crew safe.

WOW! Like one of those pirate stories!  Just joking.  In all seriousness, yes, hope all is well and stays safe. 

I'm a bit confused as to why there are still, what, 8 passengers aboard? I went back through a few pages and came across Andy's post about the plan to disembark non-US and non-Canadians in Dubai, and subsequently US and Canadian passengers continuing on to the US, but then something further about everyone disembarking in Dubai. So...how is it that there are still passengers, let alone so few?  Ship is obviously headed towards the Suez, but then where once in the Med? 

Edited by OnTheJourney

47 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

I'm a bit confused as to why there are still, what, 8 passengers aboard? I went back through a few pages and came across Andy's post about the plan to disembark non-US and non-Canadians in Dubai, and subsequently US and Canadian passengers continuing on to the US, but then something further about everyone disembarking in Dubai. So...how is it that there are still passengers, let alone so few?  Ship is obviously headed towards the Suez, but then where once in the Med? 

Apparently the US would not let the 8 Canadians on board the Viking charter flight to the US (Newark), so they stayed on board the ship and are continuing on the "Magical Mystical Cruise to Somewhere".

Edited by Insanityx4

50 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

See above. Please let’s not talk about all this. 
they must remain safe. 

Edited by Jukebo1x
Someone already answered

Hi Juke.  We sort of wish we were still there.  But, as US citizens, we would have been kicked off in Dubai. 8 passengers and 450 crew sounds like just up my alley!  Sooner or later though, the Magnificent Eight will be put ashore somewhere.  That I might not like.  😎

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Insanityx4 said:

You will not get details from this crowd.  How about read a Mitch Rapp book and imagine him and his buddies on a cruise.....😳

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Insanityx4 said:

Haha, or answer with "lots of manpower and HUGE guns" as the pirates are probably monitoring which ships have armed guards on board.

They might be dumb but they aint stupid....

On 3/26/2020 at 9:25 PM, stretchcruz said:

Is 7001 the Owner's Suite??

Where did you end up. I'd be thrilled with an Explorer Suite!

Do you all eat in Manfredi's? Or how are they handling the food? 

What a crazy ride.

Affirmative 7001 is the Owners Suite. We opted for 4000, which is the fwd cabin on the same deck and side of the ship we were on.

Affirmative, they set up tables in Manfredi's for B/L/D. The menu is the regular menu from the MDR. For dinner we generally all dine together with a couple of officers joining us each evening. All we have to do is ask and they deliver. After cooking school a couple of days ago, Wally asked for fish & chips for lunch. Although the next day menu was already printed, so fish & chips wasn't included on the next day lunch menu, it was available in addition to the menu items.

Sitting chatting with Norbert (GM) a couple of nights ago before dinner, he again asked if we wanted anything else.

If we want to have lunch by the pool, they will arrange and deliver.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2020 at 5:15 PM, Jazmyn49 said:

Thanks for the feedback. Good to hear that you made it home safely. Have heard feedback and for some took 38 hours from departing the ship.