Ultimate World Cruise 245 days and all the parts. Ongoing review, questions, opinion

Jim Avery

Returning to the topic of this thread, yet again we have had a tumultuous day of announcements aboard the Viking Sun,

At 13:30, we heard the dreaded "Bing Bong" throughout the ship, with a request for ALL pax to convene in the Star Theatre at 14:00 for an important announcement regarding the itinerary.

We had the usual Captain, GM & Cruise Director on stage, advising that Viking is yet again exploring new territory and is now providing us with a potential new itinerary and options. Nothing was confirmed, but they were looking for feedback and preferences on the following:

• Dep Muscat we would head to Dubai, which is a major airport hub
  • On departure Dubai, we would be bound for a port on the US Eastern seaboard

Completing a quick risk assessment, we decided it was best to accept the offer to return home in Dubai.

During dinner, about 19:30, we again heard the dreaded "Bing Bong" with the cruise director requesting everyone's attention for yet another significant change. The options provided at 14:00 were gone, as the ship is now confirmed as being headed to Dubai. On arrival Dubai, ALL non-Canadian/US pax MUST disembark. Only Canadian & US pax will be permitted to continue to a port on the US Eastern seaboard.

If the option to stay on board to the East Coast of North America is there I would take it. You sound quite safe and germ free on board. And you have toilet paper and booze! What more do you need?

Regarding preparations to avoid pirates. Unfortunately someone has shared a photo on Facebook. I will comment no further and I am sure there are even more precautions underway than were shown.

Edited by Liz Masterson

30 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Returning to the topic of this thread, yet again we have had a tumultuous day of announcements aboard the Viking Sun,

At 13:30, we heard the dreaded "Bing Bong" throughout the ship, with a request for ALL pax to convene in the Star Theatre at 14:00 for an important announcement regarding the itinerary.

We had the usual Captain, GM & Cruise Director on stage, advising that Viking is yet again exploring new territory and is now providing us with a potential new itinerary and options. Nothing was confirmed, but they were looking for feedback and preferences on the following:

• Dep Muscat we would head to Dubai, which is a major airport hub
  • On departure Dubai, we would be bound for a port on the US Eastern seaboard

Completing a quick risk assessment, we decided it was best to accept the offer to return home in Dubai.

During dinner, about 19:30, we again heard the dreaded "Bing Bong" with the cruise director requesting everyone's attention for yet another significant change. The options provided at 14:00 were gone, as the ship is now confirmed as being headed to Dubai. On arrival Dubai, ALL non-Canadian/US pax MUST disembark. Only Canadian & US pax will be permitted to continue to a port on the US Eastern seaboard.

I am confused that you are able to dock in Dubai. Our Azamara cruise was cancelled from there due to leave March 28. Supposedly Dubai is no longer allowing cruise ships to dock. Interesting...........

We disembarked the Sun in Dubai on March 9th. At that point the ship had been cleared healthwise by the Balinese Govt. after sitting outside the port for a day while health checks on all passengers and crew were conducted and negotiations with a VIP from Viking, flown in from Switzerland, and the Balinese authorities continued talks before we were allowed to dock and take tours for a day. Approx. 400 pax departed Bali before the ship sailed on the evening of the 9th. Since no passengers have gotten on or off since, one could only guess that the clearance might still stand, but probably at a great cost to Viking. You are correct that the port is now closed to cruise ships. This is most definitely an exception.

Edited by Insanityx4

Sorry, I read that all wrong. We departed Bali on the 9th, not Dubai. We flew home via Dubai. Everything I said about the Balinese govt. does not apply to the Sun's new itinerary. Bali is also closed to cruise ships now. My mistake!

12 hours ago, josumello said:

I am confused that you are able to dock in Dubai. Our Azamara cruise was cancelled from there due to leave March 28. Supposedly Dubai is no longer allowing cruise ships to dock. Interesting...........

Based on our experience in Indonesia, nothing is guaranteed until the lines are secured and gangway ashore. We already have pax with confirmed flights, so Viking must be reasonably sure that we can dock.

They pulled it off in Bali, when everyone said we wouldn't get ashore, so I have minimal doubts they will pull it off in Dubai.

18 hours ago, Liz Masterson said:

If the option to stay on board to the East Coast of North America is there I would take it. You sound quite safe and germ free on board. And you have toilet paper and booze! What more do you need?

Regarding preparations to avoid pirates. Unfortunately someone has shared a photo on Facebook. I will comment no further and I am sure there are even more precautions underway than were shown.

I second Liz.  Staying on board is the safest place to be.  Why return to the stress and crazyness on land before you have to.  The best thing Viking can do is not allow shore leave until you reach US.

I keep imagining a Sci-fi book or movie scenario where the entire world is wiped out except for one cruise ship with young and old left to build a new world. 

Stay healthy and have fun.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

I second Liz.  Staying on board is the safest place to be.  Why return to the stress and crazyness on land before you have to.  The best thing Viking can do is not allow shore leave until you reach US.

I keep imagining a Sci-fi book or movie scenario where the entire world is wiped out except for one cruise ship with young and old left to build a new world. 

Stay healthy and have fun.

Stephen King-The Stand comes to mind...just stay safe, and healthy😌

21 minutes ago, Jukebo1x said:

Stephen King-The Stand comes to mind...just stay safe, and healthy😌

Of course there is the SS President Warfield.  Later renamed Exodus.  No free wi-fi and a tad less service. 

20 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Thanks for the updated information and for bringing the board back on course - I did try to do the same back at post 1351 but with no apparent effect at that time.🤷‍♂️

Also in that post I think I can claim to be the first to publicly put forward the possibility of sailing back to the USA. It seemed obvious and came to my mind weeks ago when someone used the "private yacht" description for the ship.

Was returning US passengers home by sea something that had already been talked about onboard or did it come totally out of the blue from Viking management? If it did I can continue with the happy delusion that they got the idea from me! 😉

I really appreciate you sharing your magical mystery tour with the rest of us and will be closely following as the record breaking adventure continues. 

Edited by photopro2
missed word

9 hours ago, photopro2 said:

Thanks for the updated information and for bringing the board back on course - I did try to do the same back at post 1351 but with no apparent effect at that time.🤷‍♂️

Also in that post I think I can claim to be the first to publicly put forward the possibility of sailing back to the USA. It seemed obvious and came to my mind weeks ago when someone used the "private yacht" description for the ship.

Was returning US passengers home by sea something that had already been talked about onboard or did it come totally out of the blue from Viking management? If it did I can continue with the happy delusion that they got the idea from me! 😉

I really appreciate you sharing your magical mystery tour with the rest of us and will be closely following as the record breaking adventure continues. 

The option of taking the ship to a US port has been discussed extensively on board the vessel, as has also visiting a Canadian port.

This again is testament to Viking's exceptional customer service and how they listen to their customers. With Viking, we certainly believe they are looking out for our best interests, unlike some other cruise line we used before, which I read now has a 3rd ship infected with the virus.

Viking confirmed many days ago, that shore leave for pax & crew ceased on departure Bali. Our next time ashore will be heading for an airport.

• Like 2

I know we have been talking about the the luxury and wonderment of the cruise but I can only imagine that the unknown and wondering what it is really happening at home with family and friends is worrisome...take good care and safe travels.

Unfortunately, our time aboard the Viking Sun is sadly coming to a premature close. On arrival Dubai, in accordance with our kids wishes, we are returning home. They are becoming increasingly concerned with this crazy world we are currently experiencing. Further details are included on our travel blog.

Deb has agreed to accept the mantle of keeping everyone appraised of the many changes between now and when the 2019/20 Ultimate World Cruise chapter closes.

Long may the Magical Mystery Cruise to Somewhere continue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, 2oldishcoots said:

Sadly, we have all just been informed that, on advice from the US Coast Guard, we will all be leaving the Magical Mystery Cruise in Dubai. Lots of tears are being shed at this news. We have made so many good friends here.  Deb

Hello Deb and Monroe,

We have been watching the progress of the cruise since we left all of you.  It sounds like quite an adventure.  As we spend our winters in California, we also needed to adjust our plans.  Our government, travel insurance and most of all our family forced our decision to return to Canada early.  Arrived back in BC yesterday after 3 long days on the road.  Best wishes to all of you for good health and a safe return home.  Our 37 days aboard was an experience of a lifetime.  Beautiful ship and ports plus so many wonderful people.

51 minutes ago, Islandbc said:

Hello Deb and Monroe,

We have been watching the progress of the cruise since we left all of you.  It sounds like quite an adventure.  As we spend our winters in California, we also needed to adjust our plans.  Our government, travel insurance and most of all our family forced our decision to return to Canada early.  Arrived back in BC yesterday after 3 long days on the road.  Best wishes to all of you for good health and a safe return home.  Our 37 days aboard was an experience of a lifetime.  Beautiful ship and ports plus so many wonderful people.

Janet & Keith,

We’ve missed you on the Adventure. Glad to hear you are safe and sound at home. I guess, given the times, that’s the safest place to be. Hope we meet again, Deb & Munro 

The spirit  all of you have displayed , both passengers and crew , while viking is  amazing.

A, Miller in the book Norway : 

" The word viking is actually a verb meaning to on a "waterborne journey" whether by river or sea.

The farmers would typically "go a viking" during the period after the Spring sowing, returning for a late harvest.

I applaud all of you and safe journey to your homes. 

I pray that all of us can go" a viking" in the future.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Azulann said:

Well said Azulann, that comment has brought tears to my eyes. The TA that we shared together was a genuine highlight of our lives.

In her interview on Forbes.com Viking Cruise Director Helen Clancy quoted a chef she once worked with as saying "‘We are ladies and gentlemen serving ladies and gentlemen." 

I join you in your prayer that all the ladies and gentlemen of the Viking family (the servers and the served) will soon be enjoying life at sea together once again.

Take Care and God Bless

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Azulann said:

The spirit  all of you have displayed , both passengers and crew , while viking is  amazing.

A, Miller in the book Norway : 

" The word viking is actually a verb meaning to on a "waterborne journey" whether by river or sea.

The farmers would typically "go a viking" during the period after the Spring sowing, returning for a late harvest.

I applaud all of you and safe journey to your homes. 

Well said...and I know I can speak for the March '19 Sky guests in hoping the inaugural cruise with Mr. Hagen will happen in January.

Safe travels to all....

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, 2oldishcoots said:

Lots of tears are being shed at this news. We have made so many good friends here.  Deb

I have no doubt, but I believe shedding tears should be reserved moreso for the families of the nearly 13,000 people who have died from CV. At least all of you got to experience at least a substantial portion of your cruise compared to the thousands who were canceled out before even stepping foot on a ship. 

Edited by OnTheJourney