When Free isn't Free

Edhoff

2 minutes ago, Edhoff said:

Please correct me if i'm wrong.  If I elect the Free Drink Package it DOES NOT INCLUDE the 20% Grat charge. So Free Will cost me aprox. $250.

Unless your in the UK where it’s included 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Edhoff said:

Please correct me if i'm wrong.  If I elect the Free Drink Package it DOES NOT INCLUDE the 20% Grat charge. So Free Will cost me aprox. $250.

That's correct. It's similar to when the manager at the local bar comps my check for being a loyal customer. The drinks were free. I still tip the bartenders based on what the cost of those drinks would have been.

• Like 7

Just now, KeithJenner said:

As long as you pay £99 each for a 7 day cruise (more for longer).

That also includes dining ( or other perk) too with no grats added, a lot cheaper than what they have to pay in the US 

1 hour ago, Edhoff said:

just like when you go out to dinner for a free meal you are expected to tip on the actual amount of the bill, same as a 2 for one.  Would you not tip in those situations?

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, debgreg said:

That also includes dining ( or other perk) too with no grats added, a lot cheaper than what they have to pay in the US 

Indeed. However it is a bit misleading for us in the UK to say that we get them for free these days.

It used to be the case that these things cost us no extra (leaving aside sailaway/guarantee options), but these days we do have to pay an additional fee. To get these “free” things. The amounts may be different from what they pay in the US, but the principle is similar.

Im not complaining, as the overall prices are better in my experience, and that is what matters to me.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

Indeed. However it is a bit misleading for us in the UK to say that we get them for free these days.

It used to be the case that these things cost us no extra (leaving aside sailaway/guarantee options), but these days we do have to pay an additional fee. To get these “free” things. The amounts may be different from what they pay in the US, but the principle is similar.

Im not complaining, as the overall prices are better in my experience, and that is what matters to me.

Yes definitely a lot cheaper than what I’m used to paying on Royal but I get your point 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Edhoff said:

I think you are twisting things a bit much to support a conclusion.

If you get a free cruise, you still have to pay port charges and govt taxes...but the cruise is still free.

NCL sells a drink package and it comes with a 20% gratuity charge. They are offering to comp the drink package...not the gratuity. 

FWIW, on a typical 7-day cruise that gratuity charge will only be $138.60...not approx $250.

It is really no different than realizing that you still have to BUY the cruise to get the free drink package.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, sparkmaster said:

If I had a dollar for every thread about this that gets posted, I'd be able to sail in the Haven. 

Na, hasn't been that many, but it would have made the drinks package 100% "FREE" for one cruise. 😉

Edited by DirtyDawg

5 hours ago, JennyB1977 said:

That's correct. It's similar to when the manager at the local bar comps my check for being a loyal customer. The drinks were free. I still tip the bartenders based on what the cost of those drinks would have been.

It would be more like the manager tripled the cost of the items before comping them, and then you paying the tip based on that obnoxiously inflated price.

• Like 1

Either way, you pay the mandatory 20% on drinks. If you go without the package plan, every drink you order will have 20% non-removable gratuity added to the bill.

The only question is if you will spend more than $17 per day on drinks, that works out to $20.40 with the mandatory gratuity. A couple of drinks and you're up to the $20, easily.  Depends on what you drink, I suppose. But I can see why people who like 3 or 4 drinks per day while indulging on a cruise would take the free beverage plan even though it costs $20 a day for the gratuities. To beat the price, you have to stay under $17 in drinks.

It's not for me because I rarely drink, and maybe have one drink a day while splurging. And the new meds I'm on mean I can have zero drinks per day without my BP crashing and the room spinning around me like I tied one on college-kid style.

After all this "What part of *FREE* do you not understand" ?

No little * (star) see Terms & Conditions - Gratuities not included (even if it is FREE)

and if something is FREE how can that be taxed - Nothing times nothing is after all Zero nada nothing "0" !

Something about that new math being used - must be that warp speed infinity technology !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

After all this "What part of *FREE* do you not understand" ?

No little * (star) see Terms & Conditions - Gratuities not included (even if it is FREE)

and if something is FREE how can that be taxed - Nothing times nothing is after all Zero nada nothing "0" !

Something about that new math being used - must be that warp speed infinity technology !

Nothing but a big old button reading "LEARN MORE".  BTW the free drink package is not TAXED.  You are paying the gratuity on the service that is being provided based on the VALUE of the package.

LOL.jpg

Edited by Birdie And Sue