Tried Oceania Marina . . . and was disappointed.

jawlaw

I think this might blow up this board, but I just got back from 10 days on the Marina (Baltic Bliss itinerary), my first Oceania cruise, and I think Oceania cheerleaders may need a reality check.  

For some context, I’ve been on about twenty different cruises, on five different lines, all over the world.  I like to stay at Ritz Carlton, I’m happy to fly Economy Comfort (First Class when I can), and I like good food (but not necessarily at a Michelin-starred restaurant).  

The Marina is badly in need of refurbishment, the food is pretty ordinary and, with few exceptions, the staff could care less if you have a good time.  

The entertainment is very limited and, what is available, is pretty amateurish. 

I think if you are a loyal, repeat customer with Oceania, and/or in a penthouse or owner suite, then that status may provide you with more attention, and perhaps a better overall experience.  

In hindsight, I would pick a different luxury line.  

I’m happy to provide comments on specific areas to those who are considering Oceania Marina.  As to the loyalists, I’m happy that they have found what is great for them, but I’m pretty sure that nothing here will change their minds. 
  • Like 1

Sorry you were disappointed.  We were on the Marina in the Baltic last summer and had a wonderful experience.  I dislike your implication that those in PH or above are treated better.  Would be interested in specifics.

• Like 1

everyone has different expectations 

Oceania is not a Luxury line  so maybe  that is where your problems started

I am a regular on Oceania  but do not think we get extra special service

The  food while still good  is not  the way it used to be a few years back  I would agree on that

I would be interested in what lines you have sailed  that you are comparing?

We have found that the food quality is not the same as it used to be on any of the  lines we have sailed on.  We prefer smaller ships, so will stick with Oceania for that reason.  Also we enjoy meeting with the people who travel on Oceania.  We pick our cruises by itinerary and if we have to tender or not and also if it fits into our timetable.

Sorry that Oceania did not meet your expectations, but hope there are other lines that do meet your expectations.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mosaic said:

Jeeze, Oceania is considered a luxury cruise line.  How much money am I suppose to spend to get a good steak?

What was wrong with your steak?  And did you send it back?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sny said:

Sorry you were disappointed.  We were on the Marina in the Baltic last summer and had a wonderful experience.  I dislike your implication that those in PH or above are treated better.  Would be interested in specifics.

I think they get a butler.  We had one casual interaction in the hallway with a butler while he was on his way to the suite next door to us, and he was the kindest and most helpful crew member we spoke to.  This led me to believe that we would have had more personalized service and attention if we had booked that level of stateroom. 

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

everyone has different expectations 

Oceania is not a Luxury line  so maybe  that is where your problems started

I am a regular on Oceania  but do not think we get extra special service

The  food while still good  is not  the way it used to be a few years back  I would agree on that

I would be interested in what lines you have sailed  that you are comparing?

Disney, Carnival and RCCL for many years when our kids were young. Celebrity more recently in the Mediterranean.  Ponant not too long ago in the Adriatic. 

Oceania certainly holds itself out as luxury, and creates very high expectations (“Finest Cuisine at Sea”) so, of course, our expectations were very high.  

Edited by jawlaw
Complete reply
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, no fuss travel said:

We have found that the food quality is not the same as it used to be on any of the  lines we have sailed on.  We prefer smaller ships, so will stick with Oceania for that reason.  Also we enjoy meeting with the people who travel on Oceania.  We pick our cruises by itinerary and if we have to tender or not and also if it fits into our timetable.

Sorry that Oceania did not meet your expectations, but hope there are other lines that do meet your expectations.

We also enjoy meeting other folks.  This cruise had an alumni group of over 200 that we were not part of; maybe this had an impact on the “vibe”. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, jawlaw said:

We also enjoy meeting other folks.  This cruise had an alumni group of over 200 that we were not part of; maybe this had an impact on the “vibe”. 

Oh that makes a huge difference. The alumni group gets all sorts of perks, they close off the lounges for special parties for them and so on.  I have been on an alumni cruise and was glad that I was travelling with others that I had met on previous cruises.  The alumni group definitely changes the vibe or at least that is how it felt to me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sny said:

I think they get a butler.  We had one casual interaction in the hallway with a butler while he was on his way to the suite next door to us, and he was the kindest and most helpful crew member we spoke to.  This led me to believe that we would have had more personalized service and attention if we had booked that level of stateroom.   

4 minutes ago, bigmjh said:

Are you are saying (implying) that 'O fails relative to Carnival and RCCL? THAT will definitely ruffle a few feathers here.

No.  I just answered the question about what other lines I’ve been on.  I’m not comparing Oceania to any other line, but rather measuring my experience on this cruise based on the expectations created by Oceania. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jawlaw said:

Yes you said that

but  they also pay more for the PH & Suites to have that extra service

You could also book a suite with a butler

Having a large group onboard will certainly change the  service/vibe of the ship

Yes I would imagine you would get more bang for your buck on Carnival, Celebrity & Disney ..they have larger ships with more to do & more pax

Food is subjective ..we are not foodies  so not sure  who has the best food at sea

Good you found out  what lines suit your needs/wants  

Enjoy what ever cruise you choose

Personally, I have never felt that the Alumni Groups or the Wine Groups bring any negative vibes to the ships. At 200 cruisers that would have only represented one sixth (16.23%) of the passengers. In many cases they a larger percentage of 40 & 50 year olds than Oceania’s normal demographics. This can indeed bring a vibe other than stoic, but I don’t consider that a bad thing. Also those demographics are Oceania’s near term future . Sadly who’s paying for those other cabins will be gradually changing in coming years. 

I doubt believe O has ever touted itself as a luxury line but as a premium line, fwiw.

Having a Butler will definitely spoil you! Most of us will agree that O’s claim as “ Finest Cuisine at Sea” is being challenged.

Good Luck with your future sailing and thanks for the Post.

• Like 1

To the OP, I would be interested to know why you think the Marina is in badly need of refurbishment.  I was on Marina in June of this year and I didn’t see that. I doubt it could have deteriorated that much in 2 months.  There were a couple of little paint chips on the wall of our cabin that you would have to be up close to in order to see it.  I observed the public areas to be in excellent condition and saw nothing that was in bad need of refurbishment.   Interesting........

i did not encounter any staff who couldn’t care less if someone had a good time. 

As others have mentioned,  Oceania does not bill itself as a luxury line.  It’s a premium line, which as I see it, means it is between the mass market lines and the luxury lines. With that said, I think that the expectations someone has before you set foot on the ship has a lot to do with how much you are going to enjoy your cruise. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Sny said:

53 minutes ago, sunlover12 said:

To the OP, I would be interested to know why you think the Marina is in badly need of refurbishment.  I was on Marina in June of this year and I didn’t see that. I doubt it could have deteriorated that much in 2 months.  There were a couple of little paint chips on the wall of our cabin that you would have to be up close to in order to see it.  I observed the public areas to be in excellent condition and saw nothing that was in bad need of refurbishment.   Interesting........

i did not encounter any staff who couldn’t care less if someone had a good time. 

As others have mentioned,  Oceania does not bill itself as a luxury line.  It’s a premium line, which as I see it, means it is between the mass market lines and the luxury lines. With that said, I think that the expectations someone has before you set foot on the ship has a lot to do with how much you are going to enjoy your cruise. 

Totally agree regarding expectations, which were set by Oceania before we set foot on the ship.  Right after we booked, I began to receive 2-3 emails per week, and 1-2 printed brochures per week, all touting the elegance of Oceania.  And the experience simply wasn’t elegant.  

As to the refurbishment, I could go to town here.  Stained carpeting in the hallways.  Broken equipment in the Concierge Lounge and fitness center.  Stateroom televisions that are completely outdated.  We had a broken balcony door, a broken mirror in the bathroom, and badly worn bathrobes, sheets and towels.  

I will say that the art collection throughout the ship is lovely.  

6 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Deja vu all over again or a CC glitch? 😀

Nope. Just me not being good at posting stuff. And I totally get that people could be in love with this ship and this line.  

Thought I could try to help folks trying to decide.  Peace.  Out. 

7 minutes ago, jawlaw said:

Nope. Just me not being good at posting stuff.

No problem - just wondering as CC has been known to “act up” at times and repost.

Sorry that O did not live up to your expectations.

Hopefully your next cruise will be more satisfying with whichever cruise line you choose.

We have cruised with Oceania and loved the experience.

We found the staff friendly and caring in their approach to us at all levels.

The food was great especially the breads and croissants, freshly baked.

We are not big alcohol drinkers so the cruise line is good for us.

Agree with the others, fortunately their are many choices and its just a matter of finding a cruise product that is a good fit for you.

Luxury lines are available like crystal and silverseas and others.

Marvellous to have multiple options and pays to do lots of research.

• Like 3

We've sailed on Oceania 6 times since 2004, and find it a better fit for us than any of the other 4 lines we've tried. 

Only once did we book a PH suite; couldnt really appreciate having a butler.

We have found all staff to be friendly and helpful. Even the maintenance people on their way to do a job give every passenger a smile and a greeting.

To us, the food is the best of any line we've sailed. They handle DH's liw sodium diet incredibly well.

I agree that the entertainment is sometimes poor. I don't cate for instrumental music and don't have enough class for classical music, so we always skip those shows.

Whenever we board an Ocesnia ship, I am immediately happy.

I'm sorry you didn't have a good experience. 

• Like 4

We did a 12 day baltic cruise on the Marina in July. It was our second cruise on the Marina (the first was over 2 years ago).

The cruise met our expectations. Our expectations were that it should be a better, more inclusive experience than the mass market lines we have enjoyed in the past (Cunard, RCCL, and Princess). It is certainly more elegant than RCCL and Princess, but also less formal than Cunard. But we weren't expecting a 'luxury' experience as promoted by Silversea, Regent etc.

I do not think the Marina is in bad need of refurbishment, although I did comment at the time that the dark cabinetry in the cabins is starting to look a little dated. From what I could see the public areas were immaculate.

I used the fitness center daily. I think there was one machine that was out of order at one point.  The fitness center did become crowded at times, particularly on the two sea days we had.

Food was very good (relative to mass market lines which was our measuring stick), although we noted the reduced choice of menu items in the GDR. The meals we had there though were very enjoyable. We also enjoyed the company of the people we met.

I agree that the entertainment is rubbish, but it doesn't worry me - its not why I go to sea.

We booked on board again for next year. Its not perfect, but it meets our expectations.

• Like 3