Limited use of Lanai "terrace" due to construction works

HeinBloed

When I am booking Lanai cabins on HAL's S-Class-Ship, I booked the space in front of my cabin incl. the two reserved deckchairs.

Now they work above us and I have next to me an access to the life/tender boats by a ladder.

Fact: when I was sitting and "enjoying" their noise, I also enjoyed the dirt, which I found later on my hair and around my "personal space" (since I am German: next time, I will get my "fence", "artificial lawn" and a "Garden Dwarf" with me)...

Now they announce more works to do and you should not use anymore your "personal space"...

But we paid for the use of the "personal space".

To fellow-cruisers who experienced the same before: how did you or the ship handle the situation to find a solution they could work and you could enjoy your "personal space"?

2019-VEENDAM-050904.jpg

2019-VEENDAM-022203.jpg

2019-VEENDAM-022204.jpg

I had a similar issue when booking a lanai cabin. They were painting the railings and the fumes from the paint came into the cabin causing a problem for my husband. Of course, they could be painting the railings on any cabin veranda too.It is a fact that the maintenance has to go on.

If it makes you feel any better, when we are on our longer cruises, they are always doing our verandah.  It means they are there and we can’t use it until it dries.  

Of course we don’t open the balcony doors since it bothers others HVAC so that part is not an issue and the fumes barely get in, but no question, it’s an inconvenience.

Sadly, they are sailing on salty seas and salt causes rust so they have to do it.

Sorry that above you affected you and you have a day of total non use, but it is a fact of life on board.  I don’t like it either, but I get it.

Sorry, OP.  I wouldn't like it either, but there isn't much you can do, except find somewhere else to sit.  In fact, you may find a place which doesn't have as much foot traffic.  When traveling, especially cruising, stuff happens.  Our motto is: Roll with it.  It isn't worth stressing over nor is it worth ruining the rest of the cruise.

Thanks for posting this, HeinBloed, as I hadn't thought about maintenance going on that would affect a whole day without using the privilege that comes with the lanai.  My son and I have booked a lanai on the Volendam for 2020 Christmas/New Year's, so I can warn him that we may be inconvenienced at times due to maintenance.  He has Asperger's that sometimes doesn't allow him to roll with the punches as much as I'd like, although he is getting better.  If he's forewarned, he does fine, so thanks for this post.

2 hours ago, Mickb said:

How unfortunate. Maybe you could ask them to come you a private cabana for the time that they are working in the space you thought was yours? Worth a try!

Lanai are only on the smaller ships... like R-/S-Class

Cabana are on EURODAM and following ships... that would not work...

My suggestion: they pay all coffee from Exploirations lounge plus medical treatment if you have high blood pressure the night...

20 minutes ago, sevenseasnomad said:

Sorry, OP.  I wouldn't like it either, but there isn't much you can do, except find somewhere else to sit.  In fact, you may find a place which doesn't have as much foot traffic.  When traveling, especially cruising, stuff happens.  Our motto is: Roll with it.  It isn't worth stressing over nor is it worth ruining the rest of the cruise.

Thanks for posting this, HeinBloed, as I hadn't thought about maintenance going on that would affect a whole day without using the privilege that comes with the lanai.  My son and I have booked a lanai on the Volendam for 2020 Christmas/New Year's, so I can warn him that we may be inconvenienced at times due to maintenance.  He has Asperger's that sometimes doesn't allow him to roll with the punches as much as I'd like, although he is getting better.  If he's forewarned, he does fine, so thanks for this post.

Well - to "warn" your son:

Have a box for money with you (like in Churches) to collect money for your provided show.

Although they tell you it is "mirrored": when outside is dark and inside is illuminated, you could see every little details of your life in your cabin... So be sure to have the right "costumes" for a show with you. There are many people who are looking inside when you have the door open...

And it is quite "noisy": from 04:30 hrs they start to clean the deck and to set up the chairs...

LAST NOT LEAST: Check if you have the Galley above you: we have this part... it is like a New York Metro is above you when they move their trolleys with food around... it starts at 04:00 hrs and ends around 01:00 hrs.

It is also important to know:

do you have a life boat above you or a tender boat?

Life boats like with us have a ceiling between boat and our "private area".

If you have a tender boat you look always on the bottom of a tender boat:

when they clean them with water from the top to the bottom: this gives you an extra feeling of sitting in a rain forest since all the drops will fall down on you sooner or later...

AND

the part under a tender boat has more sun since the ceiling between life boat and lower promenade deck exceed over the line of the railing and it is more shady.

BUT ONE UNBEATABLE ADVANTAGE:

no need to wait for an elevator after the life drill!

Edited by HeinBloed
  • Like 1

I’m sorry this has happened to you OP.  Thank you though for posting.  I’ve read a couple of posts about lanai cabins and issues - I was contemplating a solo cruise & booking a lanai but have changed my mind.  

Hope the inconvenience doesn’t last too long for you.  Submit a comment card at the front desk to say how unhappy you are about this.  Hope everything else has been going well.

I have stayed in a Lanai on the Rotterdam.  I loved it.  None of the negatives that you refer to.  Yes, people can see in at night, which is why we closed our drapes and were warned by other CC members to bring a clothespin to shut the gap.  Not a problem.  We were not under any public space where we noticed any noise.  We book far in advance to select a specific cabin that doesn't come with noise issues such as lounges/restaurants.  On Volendam, it does look as though we'll have a lifeboat over our heads, but we already know this.  It's no big deal.  If we get dripped upon, it will dry.  We'll be in the tropics, heading to the Panama Canal.  IMO, what could be better?  Not much. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, sevenseasnomad said:

I have stayed in a Lanai on the Rotterdam.  I loved it.  None of the negatives that you refer to.  Yes, people can see in at night, which is why we closed our drapes and were warned by other CC members to bring a clothespin to shut the gap.  Not a problem.  We were not under any public space where we noticed any noise.  We book far in advance to select a specific cabin that doesn't come with noise issues such as lounges/restaurants.  On Volendam, it does look as though we'll have a lifeboat over our heads, but we already know this.  It's no big deal.  If we get dripped upon, it will dry.  We'll be in the tropics, heading to the Panama Canal.  IMO, what could be better?  Not much. 

the OP obviously has a bee in their bonnet.

They didn’t look at the deck plans or took a guarantee and are not happy with their location.

I’ve seen several lanais on the Rotterdam and a couple of other ships and the occupants were very happy.  

but they looked at deck plans and had great spots 😄 

It’s a great alternative to an OV although I found the lanais a bit smaller than the good OV’s so it’s a matter of what’s important.  the people with the lanais liked opening the door to get to the promenade deck and the cabins were really well laid out.

Lots of people love them and I understand why.

3 hours ago, Homosassa said:

Maintenance happens. It can happen anywhere at any time on the ship and a passenger will be temporarily inconvenienced.

Sit somewhere else for the day and be thankful that the tender will be in good working order if needed.

True...but, they shouldn't have to pay for something that they can not reasonably use.

58 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

I’m sorry this has happened to you OP.  Thank you though for posting.  I’ve read a couple of posts about lanai cabins and issues - I was contemplating a solo cruise & booking a lanai but have changed my mind.  

Hope the inconvenience doesn’t last too long for you.  Submit a comment card at the front desk to say how unhappy you are about this.  Hope everything else has been going well.

Please read other reviews of Lanai category cabins.  You'll find many passengers love them for their convenience to the Promenade Deck.   As Kazu mentioned, they're well laid-out, perfect for a solo.  Plus you have two reserved deck chairs where you can watch the seas go by.  Sometimes people watching is just as fun.  Why don't you investigate further, or start your own thread and ask for opinions before making your decision final.

4 minutes ago, sevenseasnomad said:

Please read other reviews of Lanai category cabins.  You'll find many passengers love them for their convenience to the Promenade Deck.   As Kazu mentioned, they're well laid-out, perfect for a solo.  Plus you have two reserved deck chairs where you can watch the seas go by.  Sometimes people watching is just as fun.  Why don't you investigate further, or start your own thread and ask for opinions before making your decision final.

agree and don’t take a guarantee - look at the deck plan and choose your cabin wisely.  There are some great locations 🙂 

23 minutes ago, sevenseasnomad said:

I think I would consider if traveling with my husband.  What I read before was it is difficult to open the door for outside and for the particular solo cruise I was thinking about I’d hate to not be able to open it (I have arthritis issues in my hands).  So it’s not ruled out in the future totally, just if I was going solo.  Thanks for the positive feedback.  They certainly look tempting. 

1 minute ago, canadianbear said:

I think I would consider if traveling with my husband.  What I read before was it is difficult to open the door for outside and for the particular solo cruise I was thinking about I’d hate to not be able to open it (I have arthritis issues in my hands).  So it’s not ruled out in the future totally, just if I was going solo.  Thanks for the positive feedback.  They certainly look tempting. 

Oh, yes.  That would make a world of difference.  I, too, have weak hands.  My friend had to open the door for me every time.  Sorry, I forgot about that.  So, winding back to my comments, if you're traveling with someone who can open the door for you, yes, these cabins are fabulous.  If on your own with strength issues, not so fabulous.  I understand.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sevenseasnomad said:

Inquire if there is an empty  verandah cabin.  If there is  , ask to be moved  there  Don't delay asking  because your neighbors  might   be  asking already.   First  in line and all that.

Edited by sail7seas

10 hours ago, kazu said:

agree and don’t take a guarantee - look at the deck plan and choose your cabin wisely.  There are some great locations 🙂 

Yes, on that.  I had to upgrade from a guarantee after I found out that cabins in my category could be under the galley.  

OP, I sympathize.  IMO lanais are obstructed ocean views with a door cut in them with a big price attached.   I would rather have the privacy of an inside if I didn't spring for a balcony.   Have balconies on other lines but the cost differential on HAL for the relatively few balconies has created a market for lanais...but not for me.

2 hours ago, HokiePoq said:

Yes, on that.  I had to upgrade from a guarantee after I found out that cabins in my category could be under the galley.  

OP, I sympathize.  IMO lanais are obstructed ocean views with a door cut in them with a big price attached.   I would rather have the privacy of an inside if I didn't spring for a balcony.   Have balconies on other lines but the cost differential on HAL for the relatively few balconies has created a market for lanais...but not for me.

I think you're right that the small number of balconies on the R and S ships drove the decision to do the lanai conversions. I don't think they were ever considered obstructed cabins, though. It isn't like looking out your porthole and seeing the sea and sky, but it isn't behind part of the superstructure, either. 

I've thought about getting a lanai, but the lack of privacy puts me off. I like to leave the drapes open at night and let moonlight and early sunlight in, and I couldn't do that in a lanai.

3 hours ago, HeinBloed said:

Obstruction with HAL:

Also rooms you are watching on railings etc.

Our cabins in front and aft were formal obstructed view!

If you look at the deck plans, the OV cabins near the Lanai cabins (cat D, which is what the Lanais used to be) are listed as ocean view but not obstructed. The H and HH obstructed are the ones forward and aft where the superstructure encloses the promenade. Those cabins look out at the wall. 

I would prefer an OV on 1 or 2 rather than an "unobstructed" view of the promenade. But HAL does not consider the cat D ocean view or Lanai cabins obstructed.

We've been intrigued by the lanai cabins and have one booked for a short, one-week cruise just to see what they're all about.  After reading this thread, I'm re-thinking the whole thing.  Gotta go back and do the cost-benefit analysis with all this new information.

Thanks, CC'ers.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

We've been intrigued by the lanai cabins and have one booked for a short, one-week cruise just to see what they're all about.  After reading this thread, I'm re-thinking the whole thing.  Gotta go back and do the cost-benefit analysis with all this new information.

Thanks, CC'ers.

You have to think about what you want from it and how you use a balcony. Like a balcony, it gives quick access to outside and fresh air, and also your own loungers. Unlike a balcony, there is the privacy issue at night (can't open drapes or go out for a late-night bit of fresh air in your jammies). Your view isn't as open to sea and sky, so it isn't as bright.  And it's a smaller cabin than the "vista suites," which are really just balcony cabins. But the lanai is less expensive than a balcony. 

• Like 1