Barrel Chairs and Tables on Grand Princess

mek

4 minutes ago, skynight said:

mek - don't think any up front gratuity is necessary or will help in getting a chair. We didn't supply one and we got the chair. We did provide a nice tip at the end. The chair was one consideration.

I never tip upfront - only if an above and beyond service is provided.

23 minutes ago, Beave8920 said:

Hey Mek.....no explanation necessary.  You wanted some basic info and asked for it.

Looks like you've been around long enough on these boards to know that all most do is complain about something.  I hate to even post anymore because someone always has something smarta$$ to say!

I look to them occasionally for good info from good people......but always shake my head at all the neysayers and or complainers.  Like my mother taught me years ago.....if you have nothing nice to say, keep your mouth shut!

Have a great cruise.

Oh, I've been around forever - way back when CC was AOL - like 1995ish.  Everyones enrollment date and post counts starred over unless we requested them to carryover - I didn't mess with that but I think some did.

All I'm doing today is finishing my packing, relaxing a little,  and spending too much time here because I feel chatty.  LOL

Thanks, we will have a great cruise to Alaska - my favorite destination.

• Like 2

Been here before and I would like to say that wanting a chair may depend on length of cruise and physical need. However basic furnishings in a mid-priced cabin is a normal expectation. Princess made a serious mistake. it is up to us to choose a cruise line.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, MissP22 said:

No extra costs involved. Just carrying it might be troublesome. I travel by plane it would be lsited as extra baggage and would incur extra cost for a comfortable chair

There are other quiet locations all around the ship. But not ones I prefer but when did you get to decide the seating arrangements for people

Go ahead & send it. The check will be in the male. Yes and from the way things go your male may be as slow as the mail.

I feel the same way about other things.

Live with it.  NO

No one is complaining about your situation. Only trying to be logical about what seems to a major concern that there's not really a solution for. Yes you are. Your logic leaves much to be desired.

Didn't the last 3 or 4 posts go that way? 

28 minutes ago, maggie777 said:

Been here before and I would like to say that wanting a chair may depend on length of cruise and physical need. However basic furnishings in a mid-priced cabin is a normal expectation. Princess made a serious mistake. it is up to us to choose a cruise line.

Well, like I said I'm feeling chatty today.  I can't possibly imagine not going on a line because of not having a chair in my cabin.  I have short 5 night cruise planned in February for a 5 year olds introduction to cruising to tie in with a Disney land vacation. It's on Carnivals Elation and I assure you the cabins don't get much more basic than that.  We have an OV that has a desk chair in the corner and that's it.  It was either Carnival or Disney and our 5 year old won't know the difference, so we opted for Carnival.

I know the first response to this is that people possibly have higher expectations from Princess than Carnival, but my point is that the Carnival cruise is the right one for our group and the chair really doesn't matter. I don't think I would pass on a Princess cruise just because of the chair issue.

OK - I'm done. I need to get my cat ready to go to the Kitty Spa - I'll be sure to ask if they have a chair in his kitty condo.  Sorry, couldn't resist that.

Edited by mek
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, mek said:

OK - I'm done. I need to get my cat ready to go to the Kitty Spa - I'll be sure to ask if they have a chair in his kitty condo.  Sorry, couldn't resist that.

Nice- reminds me of the time we took our Cocker ( RIP ) to his place to spend the week ... we booked a medium sized 'house' with a little run space ( larger than most Princess balconys ..)

Anyway, when we dropped him off, they told us he had been 'upgraded' to a mini-suite with a bed and a tv playing Animal Planet ... while we had our inside cabin on the cruise ...

but yeah we don't do much room service , if any, so not sure how much we will/may miss the chair

• Like 1

Mek, Have a wonderful cruise!!!   I am sure that Princess will try to accommodate you as best they can!  We will be on the Grand in December (first time on Princess)  and are planning to ask for the chair.  Guest Services confirmed (over the phone) that it is a first come- first served basis but I am not worried.  I know we can always bring in a deck chair.

1 hour ago, Potstech said:

I travel by plane it would be lsited as extra baggage and would incur extra cost for a comfortable chair

Isn't it worth the cost. You seem to require it. 

But not ones I prefer but when did you get to decide the seating arrangements for people

It's only a helpful suggestion. 

Yes and from the way things go your male may be as slow as the mail.

You haven even given it a chance. 

Live with it.  NO

Since Princess has decided what other recourse does it leave? 

Switch to an upgraded cabin with a chair?

Yes you are. Your logic leaves much to be desired.

It all depends on how you look at it. I don't want the chair so it's OK by me.

You want it so make a decision at to what to do. Leave Princess for another line, upgrade cabins or don't cruise. 

55 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Isn't it worth the cost.

You seem to require it.  Not if I have to bring my own chair when on previous cruises they were  part of the cabin. Now you and others think someone would not only pay for one but pay extra by bringing it on an airplane

It's only a helpful suggestion. Yet you keep repeating it. so to your suggestion NO

You haven even given it a chance. So send me a check and we will see what happens.

Since Princess has decided what other recourse does it leave? To constantly remind Princess that it is a bad decision and hopefully they will change it.

Switch to an upgraded cabin with a chair? Why should I pay that much more money in order to get a chair?  Seems like a wrong use of my money.

It all depends on how you look at it. I don't want the chair so it's OK by me. So does that make it OK with everyone else who have used it on their past cruises? Not likely

You want it so make a decision at to what to do. Leave Princess for another line, upgrade cabins or don't cruise.  None of those ideas are correct except to you which shows they must be wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

Update - just got off the Grand today.  We had a barrel chair in our cabin.  Our steward told us that he made the decision to keep the chair in the Premium OV cabins because there is so much space and it would be terrible to not have a place to sit with those floor to ceiling windows.  The views were spectacular and we enjoyed being indoors because the weather was dicey for most of the time.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

I can live with it but I hope they can live with no gratuities.....comfort is part of service and if something that basic is missing then  so be it!!!

That's for you to decide. 

Removing gratuities from the crew for something that corporate decided to do?

I'm not sure that's a way to go.

I've though along the same lines for other things that they done & it just didn't seem right. 

13 hours ago, PrincessLuver said:

I can live with it but I hope they can live with no gratuities.....comfort is part of service and if something that basic is missing then  so be it!!!

Sorry, IMO that is punishing the wrong person. 

14 hours ago, PrincessLuver said:

And the crew's pay should be diminished because of a decision made by their employer?  Short-sighted and shameful. 

Wouldn't it be better to notify Princess prior to making final payment that you will short-pay your cruise fare by an amount equal to the gratuities?  That'll show 'em!

• 2 weeks later...