Need some unexpected help

shelby2002

We leave in 3 weeks to board the Allure of the Seas, my mom who is in her 70's fell 3 weeks ago hurt her leg and broke her shoulder.  The Dr's have cleared her to sail.  Here is my question we got her a scooter from Special Needs at Sea she is only 110 lbs so I got the standard one that is 20" wide so that should fit through the door of a regular cabin correct?  We are in a 2 bedroom suite.  Also I need to know do I have to call someone now for a wheel chair at the port or can I just ask a porter for one, she is not fighting me on any of this she said please get me the assistance I need so I can enjoy myself so yeah takes a little stress off of me.  Thanks for any help and experiences anyone can share with me.

23 minutes ago, shelby2002 said:

We leave in 3 weeks to board the Allure of the Seas, my mom who is in her 70's fell 3 weeks ago hurt her leg and broke her shoulder.  The Dr's have cleared her to sail.  Here is my question we got her a scooter from Special Needs at Sea she is only 110 lbs so I got the standard one that is 20" wide so that should fit through the door of a regular cabin correct?  We are in a 2 bedroom suite.  Also I need to know do I have to call someone now for a wheel chair at the port or can I just ask a porter for one, she is not fighting me on any of this she said please get me the assistance I need so I can enjoy myself so yeah takes a little stress off of me.  Thanks for any help and experiences anyone can share with me.

Yes, a 20” wide scooter will easily fit through the door 

I don't recall which port it was, but I know that one time as I was boarding, they had the rental scooters in the terminal so you could ride them onto the ship, rather than having to get a wheelchair and wait until the room is available.  

Maybe check and see if that's an option.  

And I know some places will deliver it to your hotel the night before, so you can have it for getting around prior to embarkation.

We sailed out of FLL in January the last 2 years using Special Needs at Sea for MIL’s scooter needs.  Both years we asked a porter for wheelchair assistance the minute we arrived and they began getting our luggage out of the shuttle.  We always had to wait a short amount of time but it was always very easy and they brought one out to the curb.  We arrived before 10:15 each year.  

Special Needs at Sea was super easy to find inside the terminal .. always grabbed her scooter just after checking in and before boarding the ship.

Just curious ... which 2 room suite do you have?  We are sailing in cabin 12648 in January ... can’t wait!!!

I rent from Scootaround.  When I rented at Port Canaveral I picked scooter up in the terminal and did NOT have it waiting in the cabin.  It was less expensive to pick up in terminal.  I did not need both hands to drive the scooter I rented and the nice feature was it had variable speeds not like grocery stores which have I speed...very slow.  You could adjust the speed for her.  Can't remember if Allure is sailing out of Port Everglades or another port.  I have not had good success with wheelchair service at Port Everglades;  I will be renting from Scootaround for my November Harmony cruise from Port Canaveral.  Hope your mother enjoys her cruise.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, shelby2002 said:

To be safe, I would call Royal and ask that they add your mother's name to the list. You will also need to add her name to the disembarkation list as soon as you get on board. It has been my experience that if your name is not on the list you are last in line meaning if someone on the list comes up, they take them first. On our Liberty cruise this past May, they disembarked in the order you registered.

Would suggest you double check to make sure she is able to drive a scooter. I had a broken shoulder, but mine was a pretty serious break and involved my arm too; however, my arm was totally immobilized in an orthopedic sling.  I was not able to remove other than very briefly to get dressed and I needed help.  I am not sure that I could have operated a scooter with one hand. You might want to investigate. 

Also, Special Needs will provide a shower chair if you think she needs it.  

She will be fine to use both hands at the time we have been through the immobilized shoulder in the slinge for many weeks now so on the ship the surgeon said she will only need a sling to keep her shoulder still at night.  When the concierge contacts us a week prior to the cruise I will let them know about the wheel chair for embarking and dis-embarking  and Jay Hawks fan we are in the cabin right next door to yours.  Thank you all for all the help and suggestions it is much appreciated.

• Like 1

Our experience boarding in Baltimore was that wheelchairs are available.  They actually came after my Dad to offer one (he was using a rolling walker). They had us sit for a few minutes, and then wheeled him on board and up to the WJ.

My father requires a wheelchair assist for embarkation and disembarkation.  Every time I have sailed with him, it's been a simple procedure.  For the scooter - make sure you know if your ship has a Special Needs at Sea kiosk or not (SNaS will be able to help you with this).  If they do, you will need to pick up the scooter at the kiosk, and she will be able to use it for embarkation and disembarkation.  If not, it will be waiting for you in her cabin, and you can arrange a wheelchair assist.  This is a very easy procedure.  Either call Royal or your travel agent (whoever you actually booked through), and have them add it to your reservation.  Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

On 9/13/2019 at 4:12 PM, shelby2002 said:

Broke her shoulder?  While I could have sailed, I definitely could not have operated a scooter with two hands after I broke my shoulder.  I assume she is near you and you know what her range of motion is?  Hope your mom is feeling better... that was one injury that I would not wish on my worst enemy... so painful!

I use Special Needs at Sea for a scooter quite often.  Since you have already booked the scooter for Allure out of Ft Lauderdale, be sure to call them back with your booking info and request that the scooter be made available in the terminal.  If you do not, they will have it waiting in the cabin.  (In the terminal is preferred.)

Sea ya!