First Time Oceania what restaurants?

Salf777

WOW! Thank you all so much! Were going to try them all

We are in a PH category and it says we can make reservations 75 days in advance.

I have seen some topics about getting on at midnight exactly to get reservations, is that necessary to wait up the night before?

Do the fill up so quickly?

On 9/17/2019 at 6:15 PM, JPR said:

Jacques would clearly be our #1 choice because it’s not available on the R ships (and is far better than Regent’s French offering Chartreuse).

Currently on the Explorer and had dinner at the Chartreuse tonight and I generally agree although the lobster (in panko batter and with scallop mousse) might have been the best lobster I ever had 😊

I also agree with your restaurant ratings on O ships.

1 hour ago, Salf777 said:

WOW! Thank you all so much! Were going to try them all

We are in a PH category and it says we can make reservations 75 days in advance.

I have seen some topics about getting on at midnight exactly to get reservations, is that necessary to wait up the night before?

Do the fill up so quickly?

We were also in a PH and didn't make the reservations as soon as it opened up at midnight.  We made them around 9AM the next day and got all 4 of our reservations at the time we wanted.  There was a lot of availability.

Enjoy your cruise.

When we've been in PH category we've never had a trouble getting the reservation we wanted -- usually sharing: sometimes with strangers, sometimes pre-arranged with others on our Roll Call.  Usually at 7:30 or 8:00.  I've never tried to be at the head of the line when bookings open.

It's easier if you are in a higher suite but I haven't found that it mattered in getting what we wanted.

If you are insistent on a particular time or only want a two-top, then it could be more difficult. 

All of that said, as the cabin categories descend, I can see where there would be problems ... in which case it would be a good plan to try to book asap.

Mura

On 9/16/2019 at 6:29 PM, Sny said:

Also, try to book the specialties on days you do not have long, full day shore excursions.  You will likely to too tired to fully enjoy and/or won't have time to get changed for one of the earlier times.  I agree that you should make your reservations as soon as they open.  Also, if you are taking one of the afternoon classes in the Culinary Center (and they are lots of fun), you may not want to eat in one of the specialties that night.  Not that you will eat an entire meal in the class; but you will taste a bit of everything you cook (you can't take anything you make out of the Culinary Center).  Enjoy your cruise.

I wish I had seen your advice prior to our Marina Culinary Class, which was Steak Diane and Potatoes Dauphinoise.  We got to eat it (albeit while standing up -- and you do not get your own preparation), and it was really delicious.  Had a Toscana res that eve, and called it our 2nd dinner!  The Culinary main chef was also dining near our table, so I would have to say Toscana and Polo.  Hard to rank them.  GDR also very nice on most occasions.

On 9/17/2019 at 7:15 PM, JPR said:

Jacques would clearly be our #1 choice because it’s not available on the R ships (and is far better than Regent’s French offering Chartreuse).

Then Red Ginger, which is consistently excellent and just different than the others.

Followed by Polo, which always does a solid job with steak and lobster and has that unique clubby atmosphere for a change.

Finally, Toscana, which is pretty good too but nothing special. We go for the Veal Milanese if it’s available that night.

if you haven’t done La Reserve, which is a separate fee reservation, we have enjoyed their Odyssey menu. We think the Dom Perignon menu is overpriced, and prefer to have a red wine with meat courses.

I totally agree - Jacques is a really good French restaurant.  Red Ginger is wonderful (but we only eat the appetisers there - far prefer them to the main courses so we order lots of them!)  Polo is a good steak house.  Toscana we avoid like the plague.  Portions, even when we requested small portions are way too big for us and the food is more "American Italian" than Italian.  (We live 45 mns from northern Italy where the food is very very good!).   la Réserve is simply wonderful.  We have had two meals there and enjoyed every mouthful/sip of wine.  It is well well worth the extra you pay.

34 minutes ago, clo said:

Glad to have that input.  We're pretty picky about Italian food.  Thanks.

It’s best to try things for yourself and form your own opinion - how likely are you to have the same tastes in food as someone else whom you have never even met. 😊

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

It’s best to try things for yourself and form your own opinion - how likely are you to have the same tastes in food as someone else whom you have never even met. 😊

Oh, I can generally read the menu and get a sense.

https://www.thecut.com/2014/09/for-real-italian-food-skip-these-seven-dishes.html

14 minutes ago, clo said:

Oh, I can generally read the menu and get a sense.

https://www.thecut.com/2014/09/for-real-italian-food-skip-these-seven-dishes.html

That aside - what if I were to tell you that Toscana’s Osso Buco (which is not on that “do not try this” list 😀) is the best I ever had (or the worst I ever had), how would you know which is true for you unless you try it yourself?

Edited by Paulchili

32 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

That aside - what if I were to tell you that Toscana’s Osso Buco (which is not on that “do not try this” list 😀) is the best I ever had (or the worst I ever had), how would you know which is true for you unless you try it yourself?

Oh, we'll certainly go there and probably have three or four primis.  As far as Italian cooking goes I'd say it's the thing I cook most regularly at home, including making pasta on occasion, so I am picky. And we don't have big appetites so unlikely to get the larger (meat or pasta) dishes.

5 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Or try my DW’s recipe, which the Los Angeles Times food critic enjoyed and printed in this article; this story is a hoot:  https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2005-may-18-fo-matters18-story.html

Edited by JPR

1 hour ago, JPR said:

Or try my DW’s recipe, which the Los Angeles Times food critic enjoyed and printed in this article; this story is a hoot:  https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2005-may-18-fo-matters18-story.html

What a lovely writeup. I must say that Osso Buco is my go to recipe for dinner parties to this day. In the cooler months, everyone seems to really enjoy it. I must try including the anchovies. I usually end my OB dinner with a fresh carrot cake. Congrats to your DW.

10 hours ago, Nymich said:

What is the reason for this?   

This has been discussed here many times, but using your few specialty restaurant guaranteed bookings on the first night is a waste because you can generally get into one  without an advance reservation that night.

The second night generally features an upgraded menu in the GDR, with caviar, foie gras, etc. (on a few cruises it’s the third night), as does the next to last night.

I was not aware of that. Thank You.

I appreciate you not giving the old "do a search" when CC has the worst search I have ever seen.  It is also important to be able to ask questions and I think that is one of the best things about CC.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NoWhiners said:

We're also new to O. I know which day we will be able to reserve, and it seems from previous posts reservations open at midnight of whatever day it opens. Can someone confirm this? Also, is this ET? 

Thanks

oas

I'm new also but yes.  We're on the Left Coast so I can do it 9PM our time.  So are you two hours different from the East Coast/Miami.

• 3 weeks later...

As a newbie also, is it important to book the reservations prior to sailing for your prescribed amount of restaurants or are you able to walk up (or check a few days before) to the restaurant of your choice.  I will be on the Insignia and it is my understanding that there is Polo and Toscano and a main dining room (is that correct?).

Looking at the schedule and only seeing 9pm is a bit disconcerting.

On 9/23/2019 at 10:44 AM, JPR said:

This has been discussed here many times, but using your few specialty restaurant guaranteed bookings on the first night is a waste because you can generally get into one  without an advance reservation that night.

The second night generally features an upgraded menu in the GDR, with caviar, foie gras, etc. (on a few cruises it’s the third night), as does the next to last night.

Yes but the second night often is the night of the Captain's reception and the GDR often gets very crowded by a surge of guests immediately after the reception ends. We have had very poor service under this circumstance more than once. Thus we avoid the GDR on second night of cruise either by booking a specialty restaurant or eating early in the Terrace.