Can Princess ships' Medical Centers do routine blood tests if guest has lab order?

cj02

8 minutes ago, katisdale said:

The oxygen concentrator was a large floor model that I returned to the medical center when my pulse oxygen level returned to normal. I was impressed by the equipment available. Not only the oxygen machine, the x-ray, lab machine, and IV controller. Quite well equipped, not an intensive care unit, but almost everything you would find in an urgent care center.

They have a large crew to look after and incidentally a few passengers.

• Like 1

Yes they do have the equipment and you can have the test done. You will have to see the doctor first for the initial order. Your own doctors order will not be used on board. So there will be an initial consultation fee and then the cost of the test each time.  All billed to the on-board account.  Not sure if insurance will pay as it is a chronic condition but as some one has said the clinic is not involved in insurance claims 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, boone2 said:

Yes they do have the equipment and you can have the test done. You will have to see the doctor first for the initial order. Your own doctors order will not be used on board. So there will be an initial consultation fee and then the cost of the test each time.  All billed to the on-board account.  Not sure if insurance will pay as it is a chronic condition but as some one has said the clinic is not involved in insurance claims 

How do you know this? Have you worked onboard a Princess ship in the medical clinic?

9 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

How do you know this? Have you worked onboard a Princess ship in the medical clinic?

I worked for princess medical in the clinics  on another cruise line of the carnival group till last year.  The same medical policies are across all the carnival group fleets 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, boone2 said:

I worked for princess medical in the clinics  on another cruise line of the carnival group till last year.  The same medical policies are across all the carnival group fleets 

There is no way I would ask, rely on, nor would I take medical advice from someone on cruise critic.

No one should dispense it either. This is flat out wrong.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

There is no way I would ask, rely on, nor would I take medical advice from someone on cruise critic.

No one should dispense it either. This is flat out wrong.

Didn’t dispense advice and nor would I. Some asked if the test could be done and I told them it could -  end of

Edited by boone2
  • Like 5

Yes.  I have had protime/INR tests done at the medical center on both Coral Princess and Royal Princess.  The test costs around $100. Maybe as much as $120.  I did not attempt to turn this expense into insurance so I can’t speak to that.  I now have my own tester and I test it myself.

• Thanks 1

Hi everyone,

Thank you @brisalta very much:  Fleet Medical Office at (661)753-2680 is indeed the correct number for the onboard Medical Center procedures.  With your timely advice my friend now knows INR testing is possible on Princess ships.  Also thanks to others who helped by weighing in.

Here is the information from "Guest Medical (PCL)" <guestmedical@hagroup.com> :

• Subject:  INR Testing

Thank you for contacting the Guest Medical Support Team. Following is information regarding our INR testing on board. 

INR testing can be performed on board using a fingerprick test during office hours.  No appointment is necessary, but consultation and procedure charges will apply.

Please take your previous results with you for reference.  You should also ensure you have sufficient medication for the cruise, however should you require additional Coumadin or Warfarin due to your dose being adjusted, this is stocked on board. It is advised that you carry a note of medical necessity from your doctor regarding your prescription, as this will help when clearing customs.

Usually a doctor’s consultation is required first.  There are procedure and supplies costs for the blood test.  A first visit for and INR check will cost in the region of $175 – this cost may be less on subsequent visits

All medical charges are added to your on-board account and need to be settled before you leave the ship.  You will receive an itemized receipt detailing professional services, medications and supply charges.  This should be submitted to their travel insurance as a foreign claim.

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, cj02 said:

Usually a doctor’s consultation is required first.  There are procedure and supplies costs for the blood test.  A first visit for and INR check will cost in the region of $175 – this cost may be less on subsequent visits.

I believe I had orders from my doctor and I did not have to pay for a medical consultation fee.  

10 hours ago, brisalta said:

If you do call Fleet Medical and they say it can be done on board ship also ask them if they know what the charges will be. The ships are registered in Bermuda and Bahamas, if I remember correctly, so they are foreign territory as far as US medical insurance goes.

It does not matter where the ship is registered.

If the ship is in USA waters when the med center visit is made, then policies that cover medical treatment in the USA will cover it.

In addition, some policies that will not cover routine medical care outside the country will cover emergency treatment.

As mentioned in an above post. You will pay the charges and must submit them to your insurance company.

7 hours ago, boone2 said:

Didn’t dispense advice and nor would I. Some asked if the test could be done and I told them it could -  end of 

Gotta love when someone who has actual working knowledge of a subject from firsthand experience is poo-pooed for providing a direct, clear, and informative answer to a query posed by someone wanting access to the information that someone with actual working knowledge would possess... 😛 

Thanks for answering the question, @boone2! 🙂 Working in the medical field myself, I now find myself curious what equipment they have in their medical area. Do they only have x-ray, or do they have CT, ULT, or MRI as well? We've learned they can do certain labs onboard, can they perform any other outpatient (or, I suppose, inpatient as well) testing or procedures?

Thanks in advance! 🙂 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, winnifer said:

Gotta love when someone who has actual working knowledge of a subject from firsthand experience is poo-pooed for providing a direct, clear, and informative answer to a query posed by someone wanting access to the information that someone with actual working knowledge would possess... 😛 

Thanks for answering the question, @boone2! 🙂 Working in the medical field myself, I now find myself curious what equipment they have in their medical area. Do they only have x-ray, or do they have CT, ULT, or MRI as well? We've learned they can do certain labs onboard, can they perform any other outpatient (or, I suppose, inpatient as well) testing or procedures?

Thanks in advance! 🙂 

Yes of course.  After all everything that's on the internet is the absolute truth.  🙄

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, winnifer said:

Thanks in advance! 🙂 

Thank you for your comments 

there is an ICU on board and most basic lab tests can be performed. In fact some more than the ER I worked in here at home 

most ICU drugs are supplied and patients can be intubated if needed. Surgery is not done on board.  There is basic X-ray but any further diagnostic imaging is sent to medical facility ashore as are urgent consultations 

Of course you don’t need to believe any of this because it’s on the internet😜

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

I received medical care onboard after developing a sinus infection and clogged ears while on a Caribbean cruise.  The Doctor cleaned my ears and gave me a prescription for an antibiotic that they filled right there.  The cost totaled about $211.00 for the whole procedure which was charged to my stateroom account.

When I got home I had to submit my claim to Medicare who denied it because the ship was not registered in the US, I then had to submit my claim to Tricare for Life (secondary insurance) who alsop denied it for the same reason.  I then submitted my claim to my Travel Insurance along with both deniles and they paid the claim in full.

Also, once my wife had to see the Doctor on board for a  check up after surgery she received before we left for the cruise.  At that time the Doctor examined her and checked the incision area from her heart surgery and told her everything looked good and we left with no charges.

Edited by famski740
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

DH has visited the ship's medical center on a couple of cruises. We paid the bill on the ship then submitted to our insurance. It paid a portion of the costs. We submitted the amount not reimbursed to travel insurance. It paid the remainder fortunately.

I am a retired physician.  I self diagnosed a problem which I knew would require medical intervention (I&D of an abscess).  I waited until the appropriate time, saw the on board physician, who provided excellent care and had the bill added to my shipboard account.  When I returned home I submitted the charges to my Medicare advantage plan so I could then send the denial to my travel policy.  Instead the plan covered everything except a small amount equivalent to the copay I would have paid for the same procedure at home.  This occurred in the waters off Norway.   Every insurance plan may vary but let’s not make blanket statements as to how things will be handled.  In this case I was pleasantly surprised.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have to say I have been impressed with the Med Center. My Mom had an issue and they did blood work, did an ECG and a few other items. The doctor was amazing. We were charged quite a bit for the first visit (which was probably normal for what they did) but then the doctor wanted us to check in daily for the next several days. He did not charge us for those visits. Only for additional medications. He also provided detailed reports and a CD of her ECG for us to take home to give to her doctor. Long story short - her GP was thrown by the details of what we gave him and agreed completely with the steps he took to deal with her issue.

I did have issues with her medical insurance and submitting it - they didn't pay or deny the claim, they just kept it hanging out there for months until I called them multiple times. They did pay a portion and travel insurance paid the rest.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Yes of course.  After all everything that's on the internet is the absolute truth.  🙄

I completely understand and agree with some healthy skepticism when it comes to info on the internet. But why would boone2 lie? What would they have to gain from providing false information? Moreover, as stated (in reply to your direct query), they worked onboard Princess in the medical department. If anyone would know the information requested, it would be someone in that unique position.

IDK... I just don't see the reason to come to someone else's post and reply to the one qualified person who answered that you wouldn't request medical advice. That's not what happened, nor is boone2's answer medical advice in the least. It was information on procedure. It would be NO different from calling a clinic to ask if they would do labs with an outside order. They would tell you their procedure and that is not in any way medical advice. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, winnifer said:

I completely understand and agree with some healthy skepticism when it comes to info on the internet. But why would boone2 lie? What would they have to gain from providing false information? Moreover, as stated (in reply to your direct query), they worked onboard Princess in the medical department. If anyone would know the information requested, it would be someone in that unique position.

IDK... I just don't see the reason to come to someone else's post and reply to the one qualified person who answered that you wouldn't request medical advice. That's not what happened, nor is boone2's answer medical advice in the least. It was information on procedure. It would be NO different from calling a clinic to ask if they would do labs with an outside order. They would tell you their procedure and that is not in any way medical advice. 🤷‍♀️

a belated welcome to Cruise Critic ... enjoy the postings ... and keep the shaker of salt handy .. for the popcorn and all :classic_ninja:

I've learned quite a bit from this thread about the medical center that we have never had to use and hopefully never will, but would now be much more comfortable doing so if that happens

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, voljeep said:

a belated welcome to Cruise Critic ... enjoy the postings ... and keep the shaker of salt handy .. for the popcorn and all :classic_ninja:

I've learned quite a bit from this thread about the medical center that we have never had to use and hopefully never will, but would now be much more comfortable doing so if that happens

I suppose that salt will also be handy for taking posts with grains of it... and rimming my margarita glass! 😛 🍸

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, winnifer said:

Never said they lied.

The info they gave was not that they worked on a Princess ship but "another" cruise line.

So you qualify them and that make its all ok? 

Qualified person?  Oy Vey...........Giving the "OK" to a poster that needs critical medical advise for their cruise as to what is handled onboard and what is not is flat out wrong. They should be directed to Princess. 

Calling a clinic versus receiving medical advice from an unknown person on the internet is the same??? Yeah that makes sense.

Not sure why you are so triggered. Don't be a bully.

4 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Never said they lied.

The info they gave was not that they worked on a Princess ship but "another" cruise line.

So you qualify them and that make its all ok? 

Qualified person?  Oy Vey...........Giving the "OK" to a poster that needs critical medical advise for their cruise as to what is handled onboard and what is not is flat out wrong. They should be directed to Princess. 

Calling a clinic versus receiving medical advice from an unknown person on the internet is the same??? Yeah that makes sense.

Not sure why you are so triggered. Don't be a bully.

Clearly we're both looking at different sides of this, and that's OK. FWIW, I'm neither triggered, nor am I a bully. I simply didn't understand your reply directed at boone2 is all. I looked back at their first answer to see what you were referring to. I was looking at their statement "I worked for princess medical in the clinics". Upon further looking at this sentence, I see two spaces after that, which could indicate either there was originally an "and" or perhaps an ampersand, or that it was a typo and there is something called "Princess Medical" on other cruise lines, which didn't seem to make much sense. But I will openly admit my ignorance on that - I don't know what facilities may be called. To me, I took it as "if anyone answering would know if they perform INRs on board, this person would."

Yes, ideally OP would be best served to contact Princess directly, but I can say from personal experience that contacting Princess for specific questions that aren't directly related to the Princess reps' bank of dining-, entertainment-, pricing-, or excursion-related info like this is unreliable. And while I found a phone number for the fleet medical department in seconds with a quick google search, I have learned that not everyone knows how to quickly and accurately find this information, and sometimes it's preferable to get the "human element" and looking for the addition of personal experiences. 

But I see your point. I hope you can also see where I was coming from. No harm, no foul, no shade, no hate. 🙂 ☮️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just to clarify. I worked for Princess medical department  which covers the medical departments of the carnival group I.e. Princess,Hal, Seabourn and P&O.   My main focus was in one of these fleets although I have also worked on one of the other The policies and procedures are across the carnival fleet and staff are often interchangeable in the medical departments.  I wanted  to answer a question and gave the same reply as the OP obtained from Princess. I was just trying to helpful and don’t understand the tone of two of the replies -   ah well  what can you do when someone  chooses takes offence - behind the keyboard 

• Like 5