Canada New England. What do I pack?

GetMeToTheSpa

South Florida girl here.  I read somewhere that bar harbor temps are on the 40's.  Is this correct?  I wasn't planning on taking any heavier winter coats or hats/gloves.  Do I need to reconsider this?  

Edited to add.. Sailing in 1 week.  Regal Princess 🙂 thanks!

Edited by GetMeToTheSpa

The daytime temps are in the 60s. No need for heavy coats. It can get down in the 40s early morning and during the night. Take long sleeve tops and sweaters and light jacket.  You can adjust what you wear during the day.  It is not out of the question you could have warmer weather.  You never know with NE weather.

I have been on 4 or 5 Canada & New England cruises.  The coldest one I was on was in the beginning of Aug.   It was so cold and rainy.  Another cruise was in late Oct.  We had beautiful weather.  So, you just don't really know how it will be.   I would bring a pair of gloves.  The kind that can be brought for about 1 to 2 dollars, that stretch to fit your hand.  They are small and easy to carry.

You can check on a weather app to see what the weather will be like closer to your cruise.  Just remember to look at the whole forecast, just not the temp.  A 65 degree day with wind and rain will not feel the same as sunny and 65 degrees.

You will not require winter coats. In early October the days are generally warm in the Northeast, overnights and early mornings can be cool and drop into the 40's. Once you get to Bar Harbor and Halifax the marine climate may feel a little chilly and temperatures could be in the 50's. In Bar Harbor a trip to the top of Cadillac Mountain could prove a little chilly and a trip on the loop road may also have a nice fall breeze off the ocean. The answer is to pack layers, including both long and short sleeve tops, socks, sweatshirt, sweater, light jacket, and don't forget the rain jacket. As you are normally in Florida temperatures a pair of light weight gloves might be handy to carry.

You will need a light sweater or sweatshirt for some on ship venues.

Edited by skynight

Depends on how cold you normally get.  Being a California girl 40s 50s and some 60s are cold for me. i wore a tank or tee under a sweater and wore a mid weight jacket that was also rain repellent. I had gloves and scarf as well.  When we got off early in the am to sight see or line up for tours i was cold...even DH was cold and he usually runs warm.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, GetMeToTheSpa said:

South Florida girl here.  I read somewhere that bar harbor temps are on the 40's.  Is this correct?  I wasn't planning on taking any heavier winter coats or hats/gloves.  Do I need to reconsider this?  

Just like Alaska - LAYERS!

• Like 1

Well I am in southern Maine as I write this.  Temperatures this year have cooled off a bit earlier than usual, and it has been going down into the 40's at night, and going up to the low 60's during the day.  That said, it is going to be warm over the next few days.  In the mornings you might need a bit more, but realize that there will be a big temperature swing over the course of the day, and the sun is quite warm.  Several years ago, I had to move my sailboat to its winter yard.  I started out in the morning with long underwear, a heavy shirt, a sweatshirt, winter coat, gloves and hat.  By the time I got to the winter storage yard, I was in shorts and a t-shirt!

Be aware that the temperatures will get cooler at night and during the day as you go further downeast (north) in Maine and into Canada.

As someone said, layer and be prepared to un-layer as the day progresses.  Have a great trip.

I grew up in the Northeast and have lived in Florida for 15 years.  The cold feels colder now.  

I'd bring a fleece jacket, a scarf, gloves, and a hat/earmuffs.  They take very little room and you'll be very glad you have them if you need them. 

You'll mostly want long sleeves, but bring things you can layer, as it's "coat dragging weather" where you'll need a jacket in the morning, but won't by midday.  I'd bring a couple of short sleeved shirts, because if you hit Indian Summer you'll be glad to have them, and you can always toss a jacket on over them if you need to.

I would offer to help keep you warm, but I have too many other obligations.

In 1966, the US Navy sent me to Maine (north of Bangor) having left San Diego. It was February and it was cold. When you will be there it will be cool (as expected), but that is during the evening. You will be there during the day. Will the sun be shining? Will it be cloudy and windy? You don't know. Pack just a little extra and be glad once you get back on the ship.

Jim

A fleece jacket or a pullover sweater with windbreaker will likely be the most you'll need.  Also, gloves and a scarf.  We were there the last week in September. 

In New York and Boston it was fairly warm.  Newport Beach was picture-perfect-post-card beautiful, war and sunny.  Bar Harbor was skipped due to fog.  It started to get cooler in St John, Sydney and Halifax.  Not really cold, just cooler.  It was overcast in St. John which made it feel cooler.  Windier in Sydney and Halifax with the same results except when you were shielded from the wind.  On Prince Edward Island the weather was once again so beautiful and clear I wanted to just stand and stare at the ocean forever.  But, again the wind was heavy around the water and I remember us running to get back on the ship and out of the wind, laughing all the way at the wind trying to push us over.  Quebec was also sunny and beautiful.  

On 9/19/2019 at 12:33 PM, GetMeToTheSpa said:

image.png

Edited by Husky61
Wrong info.

Flexibility and layering.

Long sleeve tops.  Sweaters or sweat shirts.  Light water resistant jacket.  If you are really warm blooded, maybe a silk long john top and bottom (light, small, easy to pack).

Maybe a down vest if you have one.

You can always put on two sweaters. 😄