Disembark self assist

katykrol

Hi, does regent allow you to “self assist” or in other words take your own luggage off the ship? We disembark in Miami on a Thursday (no other ships on port).  I royally messed up on our flights and flying out of ft Lauderdale. So in order to save some time was hoping we could just take our own luggage off the ship. And no aren’t going to change our flights because paid for first class and too cost prohibitive to change. Any remarks would be appreciated. 

13 minutes ago, katykrol said:

Hi, does regent allow you to “self assist” or in other words take your own luggage off the ship? We disembark in Miami on a Thursday (no other ships on port).  I royally messed up on our flights and flying out of ft Lauderdale. So in order to save some time was hoping we could just take our own luggage off the ship. And no aren’t going to change our flights because paid for first class and too cost prohibitive to change. Any remarks would be appreciated. 

I’ve only sailed out of Miami once so I’m not really sure but from what I’ve read, Miami is pretty strict on luggage handling so my initial thought would be no.  I think others have said that no one can disembark in Miami until all of the luggage is off the ship and having passengers take their own luggage off would cause issues with that (not to mention the backup it would cause lugging luggage down the ramps...)

Edited by UUNetBill

Bill is correct. Of course you could carry your luggage off the ship. But that would actually be slower.  Nobody is allowed to leave the ship until all luggage is removed and positioned for retrieval. 

If if you take your own, you would have to wait for a elevator.  Then you will walk past everyone else’s luggage in the security hall on your way out the door. 

Edited by Anchorbuoy

We have taken our luggage off ourselves (with Regent assistance) on last two cruises (Buenos Aires and Sydney) as we had early flights; wasn't an issue.  Of course, if Miami is your first port in USA and you have to clear customs and immigration then it might be a problem; I would just ask when you get onboard.

Marc

35 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

We have taken our luggage off ourselves (with Regent assistance) on last two cruises (Buenos Aires and Sydney) as we had early flights; wasn't an issue.  Of course, if Miami is your first port in USA and you have to clear customs and immigration then it might be a problem; I would just ask when you get onboard.

Marc

Miami is unique. Port procedures in Miami require all luggage to be removed before anyone can disembark. Regent has no control and cannot alter the schedule.

Procedures in other ports around the world don’t affect Miami. 

2 minutes ago, Anchorbuoy said:

Miami is unique. Port procedures in Miami require all luggage to be removed before anyone can disembark. Regent has no control and cannot alter the schedule.

Maybe Regent should move back to Ft Lauderdale (Port Everglades) which is a much easier port and airport to navigate; and flights are cheaper, too!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Anchorbuoy said:

Agree with you.  The Port of Miami is "unique" (not in a good way).  Sometimes the dock workers manage to get the luggage off within an hour or so (the last time we were there they didn't begin until 7:00 a.m. - even though the ship arrived at 6:00 a.m.) and other times you don't get off of the ship until after 9:00 a.m.

Unfortunately, we'll be sailing into the Port of Miami in December and April ....... the only part of the trip that we are not looking forward to.

We almost always carry all our luggage off the ship.  Not because of wanting to get off the ship at a particular time, but because we had luggage attempted to be stolen from us in Athens a very long time ago.  We are fit and carry our luggage at airports, etc, so we just take our suitcases with us most times and don’t have to worry about finding them at the port.  Regent definitely allows this.

• Like 2

One thing to consider if you thinking about carrying off your own luggage at disembarkation.  Regent asks that you be out of your suite by 8am.  If the ship is not ready for disembarkation of guests yet,  you'll need to find a spot to wait with your luggage, as well as dealing with the bags on the elevators and stairs.   This can sometimes be a challenge with larger cases.

• 3 months later...

I toted our luggage off of Voyager last January in Miami.  All of my bags have wheels.  It wasn't a problem.  I've always taken my bags off of other lines, too.  I plan on toting it off later this month upon arrival in Miami.  

This is, of course, because I am fully capable of doing this and it is my preference. If I had any infirmities, I would put it outside the night before and let the staff handle it.

1) if docked at terminal J, currently there is no global entry available

2) just came through Miami with Crystal - passengers who wanted to disembark with their own luggage were allowed to do so, providing that they were off the ship prior to the dock workers removing the luggage from the ship. Once the dock workers were working and moving heavy bins of luggage, for safety purposes no one is allowed off the ship. I was watching the process from my balcony and when customs agents were leaving the ship, the dock workers were ordered to stop working and no equipment could be in use while the agents walked from the ship to the terminal.

3) FLL is about a 40 minute ride from the Port of Miami