Celebrity Tech is still awful

StillLooking4Adventure

I received an email from Celebrity saying they were offering up to 25% off on shore excursions (among other discounts) on my cruise.

Error 1: When I click on the link it takes me to the Celebrity page and shows my cruise and excursions with no discounts.

Error 2: When I go to Celebrities main page and I am signed in it shows me my two upcoming cruises, one which is in 4 weeks. When I click on "Plan my cruise" it takes me to a page asking me what cruise, reservation number etc... even though it was showing the cruise on my main page and I clicked from there.

Error 3: I was "chatting" online with a celebrity rep (the opportunity showed up on the screen" and I told her my shore excursions were not showing any discount, she asked my reservation number. When I gave it to her she said, yes there were discounted excursions. When I went back to the excursion page, the chat window disapeared but kept "dinging" in the background meaning she was responding but my chat window was gone.

It is really hard to understand why a corporation that relies on its marketing can't find tech people who can fix their IT problems. This hasn't changed for years. They are really frustrating. Of course I can call, wait on hold, that have the rep go through my 15 day trip and read me a list of all the discounts. Yeah, not going to happen. I'll just book discounted shore excursions by finding ones on Trip adviser that are not through the ship.

• Like 1

I have found that the website malfunctions as you said above every time  there is a flash sale. You're right, it's extremely frustrating. I think that X is using the tech problem tickets to make new ship builds because they sure aren't addressing the problems with the site!😜

I had the same experience you had, but was finally able to get into my account and book the discounted shore excursions about an hour after first receiving the e-mail.  It took a lot of switching browsers, trying Incognito mode, etc., but it finally worked.  Yes, very frustrating and I felt like X was playing with me - hey, here's a discount, but you can't access it and it will probably expire before we fix it!  That didn't happen in the end, but still not fun.  The shore excursions I wanted were only discounted by 5%, so wasn't a huge savings anyway 😞

C‘mon people, posters around here are always complaining that this cruise line or that cruise line is changing too many things about cruising and abandoning those cruising traditions that a vast majority of CCer's embrace. Celebrity is simply upholding their long, long, long tradition of lousy IT services. 

DON'T MESS WITH CRUISE TRADITION!!

😊

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Celebrity’s IT department seems to be staffed by a group of prisoners in a third world non-English speaking country who have never seen the ocean or a cruise ship.  With a sprinkling of gremlins.  

Accomplishing anything on on their website is such a challenge.  Then.....before I complete a transaction.....it all disappears.  When will I learn to just call 🥴?

• Like 1

On 9/22/2019 at 1:27 AM, Beanb41 said:

we managed to get the shore excursion discount but are having issues getting a dining package with a discount

Was there a discount on dining packages?   None of our cruises had discounts on dining packages 😞

58 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

I'm forever grateful that the ship systems and navigation software are not serviced by the same IT team who service the customer and travel agent websites.

THIS!!! A thousand times THIS!!!

You know...., OMG, it just might be and they just haven't had enough cruises for the gremlins to strike.

I am JUST KIDDING, people.

• Haha 1

Each time they fix something on the Celebrity website, they manage to mess up something else.

Even the features that do work were poorly designed,  for the most part being cumbersome and inefficient.

Their motto appears to be:

"For anything simple that can be accomplished easily in only one or two steps, make sure you program it to require the user to go through at least 10 steps."

But one feature of their website that appears to work flawlessly is taking our money. 

We never have a problem with making payments online.

It is easy to see where they put their priorities. 😉

3 hours ago, jelayne said:

Was there a discount on dining packages?   None of our cruises had discounts on dining packages 😞

I am not sure if the dining packages on offer for our two cruises were discounted but the cost for the three (two dinners and a lunch) was acceptable to us in an effort to use up a lot of OBC that we have. WE already have drinks packages and there are only so many Celebrity T shirts one can buy. My issue with the packages on offer was the requirement to dine at a specialty restaurant on day 1 of a 15 day cruise. The call centre response was tough so I have escalated it by e mail to Head Office for a reason. I get a 35% discount on day 1 anyway as does just about everyone else who wants to dine on day 1.

Waiting with baited breath

2 hours ago, cangelmd said:

THIS!!! A thousand times THIS!!!

You know...., OMG, it just might be and they just haven't had enough cruises for the gremlins to strike.

I am JUST KIDDING, people.

They did strike last year when the Constellation came out of dock after 2 week refurb. The ship couldn't get up to full power after a software upgrade and the cruise was delayed 2 days missing Monaco for the Grand Prix. They gave us a great compensation package though as well as putting us up in a hotel in Barcelona and flying us up to Monaco for the GP all at Celebrity's expense

Just tech? It is all Celebrity websites. Incorrect or old (sometime very very obsolete) information, which has nothing to do with tech, just content and some love.

The tech part (redirect between country websites, missing pages, wrong links, etc.) are just normal for most of industries, and this is sad, especially for a premium line.

Luckily we have this board, and Celebrity knows how to create good cruises (on board).