Suggested Off-Menu Requests for QG?

MarkBearSF

A couple of days ago I got bad news and went into "cruise therapy mode" and booked our first QG "suite" since the QE2, 25 years ago (got a great price on the 12/15 westbound crossing).

We've always been pleased with the offerings in the restaurants. I recall back when, we were hard-pressed to come up with a request for a special order. Does anyone have a recommendation of something at which they excel - and which we might enjoy. (We generally like basic food and the usual cruise ship menus of "country club classics" suits us just fine).

Also, any QG experiences on the QM2 that we should be sure to experience are welcome. (We're already planning on Afternoon Tea in the Princess Grill.)

Edited by MarkBearSF

Also - I was looking at the Cunard site, and they mention a butler as a perk for Queens Grill guests. I had always thought that butler service was for the penthouse cabins and better (Q1-4) - but are they available to Q5 passengers?  (Not that I have a lot of stuff for the butler, but I figure they can get mixers for our cabin bar setup.)

Duck a l'orange, chateaubriand and beef Wellington. Also flambed desserts such as cherries jubilee and bananas foster. These are dishes I've come across in previous posts. We have a first foray into QG shortly so I'm really interested in this topic too. We've been in PG where we really enjoyed the food but there wasn't the same opportunity to order off menu.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Aspidestra99 said:

Duck a l'orange, chateaubriand and beef Wellington. Also flambed desserts such as cherries jubilee and bananas foster. These are dishes I've come across in previous posts. We have a first foray into QG shortly so I'm really interested in this topic too. We've been in PG where we really enjoyed the food but there wasn't the same opportunity to order off menu.

Be sure to report back Aspidestra99!  (When is your trip?)
...as for flaming desserts, somehow the thrill is gone. Most likely, due to my current difficulties with lactose in ice cream. But as a gay man from San Francisco, it may be that I'm simply over flaming things. :classic_wink:

Speaking of that, I keep forgetting to out a couple of Lactaid tablets in my jacket pocket for dinner and bypass the dairy. But over the past year of so, I've discovered the joys of lactose-free ice cream. Does anyone know if they make or stock it onboard?

• Like 2

HHi MarkBearSF. I'm on QE next month, so I'll let you know how I get on regarding QG off menu ordering.

6 hours ago, MarkBearSF said:

Be sure to report back Aspidestra99!  (When is your trip?)
...as for flaming desserts, somehow the thrill is gone. Most likely, due to my current difficulties with lactose in ice cream. But as a gay man from San Francisco, it may be that I'm simply over flaming things. :classic_wink:

Speaking of that, I keep forgetting to out a couple of Lactaid tablets in my jacket pocket for dinner and bypass the dairy. But over the past year of so, I've discovered the joys of lactose-free ice cream. Does anyone know if they make or stock it onboard?

Hi MarkBearSF. I can ask on board regarding lactose free offerings and get back to you on my return.

Edited by Aspidestra99
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Aspidestra99 said:

HHi MarkBearSF. I'm on QE next month, so I'll let you know how I get on regarding QG off menu ordering.

Hi MarkBearSF. I can ask on board regarding lactose free offerings and get back to you on my return.

Thanks!

Disembarked Victoria on Friday and quite a few of the suggestions eg Chateaubriand, Duck a l'orange, Steak Diane were on the regular dinner menu and Rack of lamb is definitely on the a la carte, which doesn't mean of course, you can't order them as specials any night should you wish.

As I have often said on this board, in Queens Grill, if the ingredients are on the ship, you can have it. We're quite fond of Salmon Scallopini which is cooked table side. I like the pasta dishes too, Spaghetti Carbonara, cooked table side is really tasty.

• Like 1

The a la carte changes every now and then but looking at my photo

Lobster Thermidor

Dover Sole, Meuniere or Grilled

Duck a l'Orange

Rack of lamb

beef wellington

Chateaubriand

were on the ''order at lunchtime' [used to say by 2pm] a la carte

There are other entrees on the list, but they can be chosen at point of ordering.

The day's menu will appear in your door fan early morning but the Head Waiter will have a copy of the following day's menu should you feel the ned to order anything which might require more than a lunch time.same day ordering.

We make a habit of ordering Peking Duck [that's for the table] once during a two weeker and that needs three days prior notice.

Anything else, just ask. I am now nearing 300 days in QG so have a bit of experience although not on QM2.

• Like 1

On QV in July we ordered all of the interesting offers. Duck al 'Orange, Rack of Lamb, Beef Wellington, Chateaubriand etc. On our last evening, we requested that the chef cook us a traditional Indian meal. He was brought up in India, so we thought it would be good. It was fabulous! He made two starters, samosas and an interesting ground meat kabob. For the main course he made shrimp curry and chicken curry accompanied by a wonderful fragrant rice. He even made a special desert. Indian ice cream! It was mango and served with clear noodles and a mango sauce. Everything was so good!

• Like 2

Mark,  all Queens Grills suite have butler service. One of the things you might enjoy is having your butler serve a meal in your suite which they will gladly do. And perhaps you will meet some new friends you want to have an in suite party for. 

The Chateau and the Beef Wellington are for two, so If your pal enjoys them have at it. As a solo, I don't ask for food for two, but often there will be Beef Wellington on the dinner menu, and I have it then. Sole meuniere is great, Lobster Thermador wonderful, and my rule for my last night is always two steamed lobster tails, with drawn butter, baked potato and steamed veg. 

And on all formal nights, a full caviar service. 

On 9/24/2019 at 2:45 PM, majortom10 said:

With regards to being served a meal in your suite I do not fancy trying to eat a  meal in the Q6 suite we had on QE and have it off a small coffee table.

Major, since the refurb, Q5s have a oval writing desk that has knee holes on front and back it can be positioned to make a nice dining surface for two diners. See the attached 

3 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

The Q5s on all Queens are much nicer than the Q3/4 penthouses on QE/V, it's a pity that on QE/V there are no Q5s midship.

@Windsurfboy: Would you mind elaborating on why you prefer the Q5's?  We are currently considering a change from a category guarantee Q6 to a specific Q4 on QV.  Our only experience with any of this is a Q5 on QM2 last year.

The Q5s at the back of Q.V. have a simple square layout  which uses space better, giving a bigger settee a 3 seater rather than 2 seater ,  extra single chairs and more spacious feeling. The Q3/4 seating area is cramped compared to Q5, absolutely fine for 2 but no good if you have people around. On the other had Q3/4 have more clothes storage.

Have a look at the room plans cruisedeckplans.com and at videos on You tube.

We go midships as my wife gets sea sick. Q5s on QV/E are all at the aft.

Agree - as we much prefer the layout of the Q5/Q6 aft on QE/QV.   More open layout which may not suit some and of course more movement at the back and further to walk.

It can certainly hold more guests, even our PG cabin on QE seated people more comfortably than friends who had a Q4, so we tended to host the pre-dinner drinks.

It's getting more confusing.

When QV went into service, the suites at the stern were Q4's and the ones on Deck 7 were Q6's.

They then swapped them over so Q4's became Q6's and vice versa. On QE, that's still the case, but on QV some of the stern Q6's have been changed again, back to Q4's.

We always book the stern as you can use your balcony in any weather condition, being sheltered.

We've taken Q3's on QV a couple of times. The only real difference from a Q4 is an extra half wardrobe.

On QM2, Q5's and 6's are identical, and 2 modules wide, but Q3's are three modules wide, with proper dining facilities, and an extra toilet.

Stewart 

On 9/28/2019 at 12:00 PM, Windsurfboy said:

The Q5s on all Queens are much nicer than the Q3/4 penthouses on QE/V, it's a pity that on QE/V there are no Q5s midship.

When Queen Victoria was first built the suites that are now Q3/4 were Q5/6 and the Q4's were aft, now Q5/Q6. I guess Cunard figured they could sell a lot of Q4s because there are now a lot of them. On my first QV voyage I was in a Q5 midship, I believe on Deck 7.  It had a minimal amount of storage then and I had to stack empty suitcases next to the bed.