Westbound Transatlantic

seascot

My husband and I are thinking about booking a November Westbound Transatlantic cruise on Splendor.  Could anyone who has done this itinerary please give me some insight as to the weather conditions they experienced during the crossing?  I know the weather is unpredictable and each crossing will be different,  but would still love to hear from you.  I am just a little bit concerned about being sea sick.

We have done a few westbound, on Celebrity and Wind Star. We have been very fortunate in that seas were very calm for all our crossings. We sailed from Rome, Barcelona and Lisbon.  We had considered this Splendor TA but it is too late for us, we have booked on Celebrity as we are matching up with the end of a river cruise / tour. We have also done 2 eastbound, including the Voyager this past spring and both those were also very calm. We have been very lucky, and wish you the same.

We have done this route about 5 times.  The only time that we ran into very rough seas was last year (November) when the ship had to miss ports (and added a couple not on the schedule).  On our first sailing on this itinerary, someone posted that it would be warmer than people think.  I found this hard to believe but it was true.  Yes -  I needed a jacket in some ports but, in general, we find the weather nicer than on Spring crossings.  

One unknown is Splendor.  We were on the first transatlantic voyage on Explorer which is when they discovered  that the sliding doors rattled.  Up until that point, the thought was that Explorer could be the most stable ship  of the fleet in rough water (she isn't - Mariner is).  Only time will tell how Splendor is.

Thank  you for your help.  I am a little hesitant to book as we were on a 34 day Papeete to New York cruise on Riviera earlier this year and were unable to tender to Easter Island and had five or six rough sea days until we arrived in Lima.  But I really want to sail on the Splendor and the transatlantic seems an economic way to do so.  I think sailing on Splendor will be worth it, even if the weather is not favourable.  We are going to a Regent afternoon tea event in Edinburgh soon so hopefully we will book then (and transfer booking to our travel agent for additional savings).  Thanks again for all your replies.

We have done TA’s four times on the Explorer. East and west. We like heading west because we gain an hour six times. Never had a problem to west, however on our sailing this past March, heading east, it was so windy in Bermuda, we never got off the ship there. But we were there so many times, it was fine. 

We love the TA cruises. Relaxing and enjoying the ship. 

Sheila

Edited by Bellaggio Cruisers

We were on the Voyager Rome to Fr Lauderdale in 2006.  The weather was fine throughout the cruise - in the Mediterranean, to Madeira, and across to Ft L.  Nice temperatures in the Med - averaged around 20-22C for highs.  It got warmer about 2 days before we got off in Ft. L.   Seas were calm to moderate.  there was a storm ahead of us but we didn't catch up with it.   I think the Navigator was affected by it because the captain shared some reports from her with us.   But even that didn't seem more than rain and high-ish seas.  Nothing like a hurricane or anything.

Since then we have only done East bound crossings.  None of which have been eventful as far as the weather goes and all of which have been wonderful.

My wife and I have been on numerous East & West transatlantic crossings with various companies,we have always sailed on the southern route ie  Florida to Lisbon ,Barcelona, or Rome, we have always had good weather and the sea has been calm  We are planning or first cruise with Regent Navigator in September 2020 transatlantic Lisbon to Montreal.  We are looking for first hand information on this ship, and would like to hear from anyone regarding first time referral 

1 hour ago, ROSSCOT said:

We are planning or first cruise with Regent Navigator in September 2020 transatlantic Lisbon to Montreal.  We are looking for first hand information on this ship, and would like to hear from anyone regarding first time referral 

We are on the same cruise, Barcelona to Montreal, immediately after Navigator has undergone further refurbishment.

We like Navigator and would be happy to supply details for the Ambassador programme referral programme if you post your email address.

When booking, take care with suite location as the ship suffers from vibration towards the stern. 

7 hours ago, ROSSCOT said:

My wife and I have been on numerous East & West transatlantic crossings with various companies,we have always sailed on the southern route ie  Florida to Lisbon ,Barcelona, or Rome, we have always had good weather and the sea has been calm  We are planning or first cruise with Regent Navigator in September 2020 transatlantic Lisbon to Montreal.  We are looking for first hand information on this ship, and would like to hear from anyone regarding first time referral 

My husband and I will be 1st time Regent cruisers along with you! (Barcelona to Montreal)

Sailed our first TA last October from Copenhagen to NYC which was chilly and blustery with high waves and wind spray to the 14th deck. Loved it regardless and looking forward to our southern route to San Juan this November. 

Thanks for the information on vibration in stern located suites, are there any E class  suites you can recommend, and what ones should we avoid.  Can you please forward Ambassador programme referral  details to bill.sutherland@live.co.uk  and yes we are sailing from Barcelona not Lisbon. We are Sailing from Lisbon in November with Azamara to Rio

Can you please forward Ambassador programme referral  details

I have emailed the details to you

are there any E class  suites you can recommend?

Personally I would go for one on Deck 7 as they are located Forward. 

SuiteGuru is a good resource to see what other CC members think of specific suites.

What is the "Ambassador programme"?  Have not heard of this on Regent!

Since we do not yet know how Splendor will do in rough seas, I would recommend a mid-ship suite on decks 7, 8 or 9.  In my opinion, it is better to be midships than forward because, on any ship, the more forward you are, the more you feel the seas - both forward and aft and side to side.

Edited by Travelcat2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

What is the "Ambassador programme"?  Have not heard of this on Regent!

Since we do not yet know how Splendor will do in rough seas, I would recommend a mid-ship suite on decks 7, 8 or 9.  In my opinion, it is better to be midships than forward because, on any ship, the more forward you are, the more you feel the seas - both forward and aft and side to side.

go on Regents web page and under Menu you'll find the section.  Which states:

Do you have friends and family who love to travel? With our Regent Ambassador referral program, we invite you to share your passion for Regent Seven Seas Cruises® with others. Spread the news and be rewarded for your advocacy.

When you refer friends and family as new guests and they book their first voyage with Regent Seven Seas Cruises, a $250 savings will be added to your booking or profile, to show our appreciation. Additionally, we will provide a $250 savings, to your referred friends or family’s booking as our way of welcoming them to our family.

Once your referred guest makes a booking, they should complete the form below within 14 days from date of deposit for the $250 savings to be applied to the booking.

For a limited time, when someone you refer sails on any 2019 Alaska voyage aboard Regent Seven Seas Cruises® for the first time, they will receive DOUBLE the savings — now $500 — to apply to their Alaska cruise. And in appreciation for your recommendation, you too will receive a $500 savings that you may apply to any future cruise of your choice.

* = THIS IS A REQUIRED FIELD TO SUBMIT

Just now, ronrick1943 said:

go on Regents web page and under Menu you'll find the section.  Which states:

Do you have friends and family who love to travel? With our Regent Ambassador referral program, we invite you to share your passion for Regent Seven Seas Cruises® with others. Spread the news and be rewarded for your advocacy.

When you refer friends and family as new guests and they book their first voyage with Regent Seven Seas Cruises, a $250 savings will be added to your booking or profile, to show our appreciation. Additionally, we will provide a $250 savings, to your referred friends or family’s booking as our way of welcoming them to our family.

Once your referred guest makes a booking, they should complete the form below within 14 days from date of deposit for the $250 savings to be applied to the booking.

For a limited time, when someone you refer sails on any 2019 Alaska voyage aboard Regent Seven Seas Cruises® for the first time, they will receive DOUBLE the savings — now $500 — to apply to their Alaska cruise. And in appreciation for your recommendation, you too will receive a $500 savings that you may apply to any future cruise of your choice.

* = THIS IS A REQUIRED FIELD TO SUBMIT

Okay - got it!  Thank you.  For some reason I look at that program as people vying for the referral/credit and (on CC).  Not my thing so was not aware of the name.  On the other hand, if it were a friend or relative, I would be happy to refer them (not for savings for us but for the friend/relative that we are referring).