Port of Miami

ropomo

We have never sailed out of the Port of Miami and received our final cruise docs from O this morning for our cruise leaving in about 3 weeks.  The information provided seems incorrect and I am hoping some of you seasoned Miami sailors might steer us straight.  The docs indicate that Regatta will be docked at Terminal J with an address of 1015 N. America Way.  In looking at the port map, that address is on the other side of Dodge Island (doesn't even appear to be a terminal building) and google indicates a Caribbean Way address which makes sense.  Bottom line, will a taxi driver most likely know where to go if we just say Terminal J or if we need an address, what address should we use?

TIA

The driver should know, but there could be exceptions.  We had an Uber driver who didn't know or purposely missed the turn to pad the bill, inspite of his Google map route in front of him.  He tooks around all the other terminals before returning to J.

25 minutes ago, ropomo said:

We have never sailed out of the Port of Miami and received our final cruise docs from O this morning for our cruise leaving in about 3 weeks.  The information provided seems incorrect and I am hoping some of you seasoned Miami sailors might steer us straight.  The docs indicate that Regatta will be docked at Terminal J with an address of 1015 N. America Way.  In looking at the port map, that address is on the other side of Dodge Island (doesn't even appear to be a terminal building) and google indicates a Caribbean Way address which makes sense.  Bottom line, will a taxi driver most likely know where to go if we just say Terminal J or if we need an address, what address should we use?

TIA

Once you enter the port area there are many signs directing you to terminal J.  Even the names of the cruise ships are posted.  You shouldn’t have any trouble finding it.  Your taxi driver has likely been there many times.  I believe that terminal J is used almost exclusively by Oceania.  The big mass market ships dock on the other side.  Perhaps the Google info is dated.  Terminal J is somewhat newer.  We’ve sailed from J three times and have never had a problem.  Good Luck!

1 hour ago, Roccaforte said:

Once you enter the port area there are many signs directing you to terminal J.  Even the names of the cruise ships are posted.  You shouldn’t have any trouble finding it.  Your taxi driver has likely been there many times.  I believe that terminal J is used almost exclusively by Oceania.  The big mass market ships dock on the other side.  Perhaps the Google info is dated.  Terminal J is somewhat newer.  We’ve sailed from J three times and have never had a problem.  Good Luck!

I followed on my phone.  The map was correct.

3 hours ago, Roccaforte said:

Oceania does not always sail from terminal J.   Every once in a while it goes from the other side.  Also Regent sails from J, so be sure to read the signs. 

• Like 1

If you don't want to use ride share, the taxi rate from MIA to cruise port is a flat rate of $27 per vehicle.  (Check the MIA website --->  Ground Transportation beforehand, in case of any change. )  Have used this several times.  No extra charges if driver cannot find correct terminal.  I recall that to get to Term. J, you have to drive around almost the entire cruise port.

40 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

If you don't want to use ride share, the taxi rate from MIA to cruise port is a flat rate of $27 per vehicle.  (Check the MIA website --->  Ground Transportation beforehand, in case of any change. )  Have used this several times.  No extra charges if driver cannot find correct terminal.  I recall that to get to Term. J, you have to drive around almost the entire cruise port.

Thanks, staying at nearby hotel night before, figure I will take Uber

On 9/23/2019 at 3:17 PM, FetaCheese said:

Was still $27 flat rate as of July. 

Greetings, ropomo, from South Beach. Terminal J is behind the docking area where Royal Caribbean has a terminal and NCL will soon have its terminal. too. Other ships dock on that side, as well. When you arrive, whatever your docs say, check the signs listing the locations for your cruise. For our March 6th Caribbean cruise on Riviera, our docs said Terminal J. When we arrived, a sign said that Riviera was docked at another terminal. One fellow I met aboard missed the signs. His taxi took him to J and left him. Bad business. A worker eventually called someone at the port who took him to the ship. It helps that we live on South Beach, and are familiar with P of M, as is our driver.

Mary

3 hours ago, warburg said:

a sign said that Riviera was docked at another terminal. One fellow I met aboard missed the signs. His taxi took him to J and left him.

Somehow, if I didn't see the appropriate funnel for my ship, I'd be asking a few questions and not be left.

But then, what do I know.

4 hours ago, warburg said:

Greetings, ropomo, from South Beach. Terminal J is behind the docking area where Royal Caribbean has a terminal and NCL will soon have its terminal. too. Other ships dock on that side, as well. When you arrive, whatever your docs say, check the signs listing the locations for your cruise. For our March 6th Caribbean cruise on Riviera, our docs said Terminal J. When we arrived, a sign said that Riviera was docked at another terminal. One fellow I met aboard missed the signs. His taxi took him to J and left him. Bad business. A worker eventually called someone at the port who took him to the ship. It helps that we live on South Beach, and are familiar with P of M, as is our driver.

Mary

Mary,

Can you advise us on terminal parking? We were told by the Oceania agent that the parking is directly across the street from Terminal J and that we can just walk over.  Is that accurate? Dragging our luggage behind????  LOL  Thanks, Carol

The parking garage is just across the street from the terminal.  Easily walking distance.    When you arrive you simply drop off your bags with the porters who are waiting there for you.  Be sure your luggage tags are on all of your bags.  The porters did double check.   Keep your carry-on bags  -  park in the garage and cross back to the terminal.   When we returned after the cruise we had a porter (red-cap) load our bags on a dolly and accompany us back to our car which was on the top floor.  We simply gave him a nice tip and we were on our way.  Our only wait was in line waiting to pay the parking fee.  The whole process was easy and efficient.  We never had to pick up a heavy bag.   It costs more than off-site parking but we tried that once and “never again”.  

11 hours ago, Roccaforte said:

The parking garage is just across the street from the terminal.  Easily walking distance.    When you arrive you simply drop off your bags with the porters who are waiting there for you.  Be sure your luggage tags are on all of your bags.  The porters did double check.   Keep your carry-on bags  -  park in the garage and cross back to the terminal.   When we returned after the cruise we had a porter (red-cap) load our bags on a dolly and accompany us back to our car which was on the top floor.  We simply gave him a nice tip and we were on our way.  Our only wait was in line waiting to pay the parking fee.  The whole process was easy and efficient.  We never had to pick up a heavy bag.   It costs more than off-site parking but we tried that once and “never again”.  

I agree - you can save a few bucks by parking offsite.  But, the convenience of being close is worth the difference.  This is even more true at Tampa where valet parking is available for a bit more!