Celebrity-Room Key on Front Door? Maybe not such a great idea

bobrxlex

Thank you for this thread. We are on the Connie in December and have sent in photo's - I wasn't sure why they asked but now I have an idea!

My question is: the old way the card is also how you charge things. Is this still the case and if someone takes your card, as in OP's case, could they then have charged drinks, etc? Yes, it would be reversed, but again the time to get it done is holiday time!!

No system is perfect!  In 2015 we sailed, with another couple, from Amsterdam on the Silhouette. Being 2015, the "old" check-in process was being followed where we were given our SeaPass in the terminal.  We waited until the announcement that staterooms were ready for occupancy before entering.  We, DW and myself, entered our standard balcony stateroom and started checking it out. 

Our friends knocked on our door, came in and in very hushed voices told us that someone was sleeping in their beds (their stateroom was next to ours).  What should they do?  They didn't want to wake the sleepers for fear that they might become aggressive. 

We contacted Guest Services and a manager immediately came up to our cabin.  She first checked our traveling companions SeaPass and documents to ensure that they were entering the correct stateroom and then proceeded into their assigned room and found a couple partially dressed (or undressed) and soundly sleeping in the beds.  

As it turned out, once the sleepers were awake and dressed, they were actually assigned a cabin on the other side of the ship.  They had just arrived on a long, overnight flight, from the U.S. and were exhausted.  They looked for their stateroom and when the thought they had fond it, also found the door open.  At the time the stateroom attendant was still in the process of preparing the rooms.  Finding no one around to ask, they entered, closed the door, and went to bed. 

They went on to their assigned room, with the guidance of staff.  The stateroom attendant was summoned and proceeded to strip and remake the room.  While this was going on we all went to the closest watering hole to refresh and have a good laugh. 

This is still our favorite cruise story when we get together with our friends.  The only thing missing was The Three Bears.  It just proves that no system is perfect, you just have to roll with the waves. 

Edited by Old Coastie
  • Like 6
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, 2flacruisers said:

I am not against having to provide our pictures ahead of time...that speeds up the process at the terminal...what concerns me is that if the keys are left at the room, and you are able to drop off your carry on luggage early, what stops someone from going in and getting your key, dropping off their luggage in your room, and then going off and doing whatever it is that they want to do, leaving you to deal with the mess until they find out where your room keys are.  Because as you know, some people don't pay attention to the rules, nor do they abide by them. 

or they honestly think that the room is the correct one, and are off exploring the ship without a care in the world. (and buying drinks with your room key!)

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, dodger1964 said:

or they honestly think that the room is the correct one, and are off exploring the ship without a care in the world. (and buying drinks with your room key!)

As far as 'buying' things with someone else's room key, your photo will show up on the computer, in many instances and upon seeing that a different person in front of them than on the card would let the server know it is not the same and prevent the sale.

Do I have this process incorrect?

Cheers and bon voyage

1 minute ago, Bo1953 said:

As far as 'buying' things with someone else's room key, your photo will show up on the computer, in many instances and upon seeing that a different person in front of them than on the card would let the server know it is not the same and prevent the sale.

Do I have this process incorrect?

Cheers and bon voyage

There's no question that if someone is using your sea pass card, the photo will not match the person with the card.  I don't know how often bartenders, etc.  look at the photos when the card is scanned, but it wouldn't surprise me if they do it on embarkation day.  

• Thanks 1

As others have said Royal has been using this process for many years on some of their ships.  Have heard of more concerns than actual incidents but this thread shows it can happen unfortunately.  I am fine with the process but not with the way it was handled by guest services.  That was totally unacceptable and the OP has every right to be upset by it.

6 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

There's no question that if someone is using your sea pass card, the photo will not match the person with the card.  I don't know how often bartenders, etc.  look at the photos when the card is scanned, but it wouldn't surprise me if they do it on embarkation day.  

A few days can go by before they notice pictures on the seapass card!  In April the guy who checked us in mixed up the pictures!  Mine on DH's card and vice versa!  We were off the ship a few times before someone caught it.  I was appalled at how we were treated by the security guard who was working at the boarding area.  We were at the front of the line of passengers coming off the tender and she was shouting at us, "STAND OVER THERE"!  it was like, "sit, stay, roll over!  You'd think we had mixed the pictures up or were trying to scam our way onto the ship.😒   We had no idea what was wrong and she wouldn't tell us. Kudos to her for noticing, but she needs to take a course in people skills.  We're not animals.

Edited by TeaBag
  • Like 1

You know, I have said that too. Security needs to be reminded of how to treat people. It's just been the last few cruises but I am tired of being screamed - yes screamed - at by security. It hasn't been at us directly but at the line up of people waiting to go through the scanners. No please, no smile, just orders and demands. 

Security staff was also very over the top at Infinity safety drill  .. told  elderly to sit on the dirty carpet and threatened to confiscate ALL phones if even 1 was on...Oh   Really???

Edited by hcat

I give the security folks a pass, they have a terrible job dealing with all of the entitled passengers.   I am not surprised that they lose their tempers or have an off day.   The behavior of passengers at the muster drill was especially bad.   Some folks think they know everything and continue talking through the drill.   If you cannot stand for the muster drill inform your steward so you can muster with the disabled passengers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On September 25, 2019 at 9:51 AM, Old Coastie said:

No system is perfect!  In 2015 we sailed, with another couple, from Amsterdam on the Silhouette. Being 2015, the "old" check-in process was being followed where we were given our SeaPass in the terminal.  We waited until the announcement that staterooms were ready for occupancy before entering.  We, DW and myself, entered our standard balcony stateroom and started checking it out. 

Our friends knocked on our door, came in and in very hushed voices told us that someone was sleeping in their beds (their stateroom was next to ours).  What should they do?  They didn't want to wake the sleepers for fear that they might become aggressive. 

We contacted Guest Services and a manager immediately came up to our cabin.  She first checked our traveling companions SeaPass and documents to ensure that they were entering the correct stateroom and then proceeded into their assigned room and found a couple partially dressed (or undressed) and soundly sleeping in the beds.  

As it turned out, once the sleepers were awake and dressed, they were actually assigned a cabin on the other side of the ship.  They had just arrived on a long, overnight flight, from the U.S. and were exhausted.  They looked for their stateroom and when the thought they had fond it, also found the door open.  At the time the stateroom attendant was still in the process of preparing the rooms.  Finding no one around to ask, they entered, closed the door, and went to bed. 

They went on to their assigned room, with the guidance of staff.  The stateroom attendant was summoned and proceeded to strip and remake the room.  While this was going on we all went to the closest watering hole to refresh and have a good laugh. 

This is still our favorite cruise story when we get together with our friends.  The only thing missing was The Three Bears.  It just proves that no system is perfect, you just have to roll with the waves. 

We once flew to Rome, checked into our hotel, and went to bed to take a nap after the long flight. We were awakened by someone opening our door. Seeing our luggage, the person yelled out, "Is someone in here?" We, of course, replied that we were in the room. I called the desk and was informed that they had checked someone else into the same room by mistake, and all was well until we left our room and tried to return. Our keys would not work because the keys had been deactivated when the first incident had occured. 

18 hours ago, sportsmum said:

You know, I have said that too. Security needs to be reminded of how to treat people. It's just been the last few cruises but I am tired of being screamed - yes screamed - at by security. It hasn't been at us directly but at the line up of people waiting to go through the scanners. No please, no smile, just orders and demands. 

Yes, that can be a bit disconcerting, I guess I would scream back 'Okay Thank You for the remindier'.... and smile when passing through.

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, sportsmum said:

Nope, security not getting a pass from me! :O)  There will always be the entitled few but the majority of people are good. Treat people with respect - that is what they are paid for- and it will be returned by most. Kindness is never misplaced.

Security personnel are trained differently than customer service personnel. Their role is not to be your friend. They should treat people with respect but I have found that it often does not seem like they do in general, not just cruise line security. 

8 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Security personnel are trained differently than customer service personnel. Their role is not to be your friend. They should treat people with respect but I have found that it often does not seem like they do in general, not just cruise line security. 

Yes they are trained for a different job, true. I still believe that it can be done without screaming and disrespect. Even when I get a ticket for going minimally over the speed limit..hahaha... the officer is polite and respectful. If he can do it when not knowing who he/she is coming up against, so can a Celebrity security guard standing at a machine.

If we are juggling bags, cameras, parcels, our sea pass card, people jostling us in line after a fantastic port day it dampens the Celebrity experience when being screamed at to move along , hurry - hurry,  have your change out, don't hold up the line!! All while the line is not moving as it is backed up due to volume NOT people being slow. And, if I moved up any further it would be considered inappropriate contact in most countries. The times I have really been upset with it is when I look at who's screaming and they are busy on their phone while shouting orders. 

I agree with you, respect in general has taken a left turn. 

• Like 1