Security outside a cabin

JBRN1982

Could be many reasons.  Quarantine, drugs, law enforcement, striking or otherwise abusing a crewmember or other passenger, smoking in the stateroom or on the balcony, not dressing properly for formal night, etc.

• Like 14
  • Haha 9

18 minutes ago, raider01 said:

Ship /room arrest.  Someone or something has someone in trouble and the ship and captain are allowing them to stay on board but in their room,  not enjoying the ship or go anywhere..    Someone will be talking to them at the home port

Doesn’t sound like a good time to me. Neither does all this food I’m currently walking off on the track 😂😂😂

• Haha 1

Just got off the NCL Breakaway and there was a security officer in front of a cabin door on day 2 (sea day) until the passenger was expelled off the ship the next morning when we got to Roatan.

The passenger was a young lady who got a little too enthusiastic with the drink package and disrobed what little she was wearing while dancing around the main pool.  When security intervened she got belligerent so they arrested and confined to her cabin until the next port.

It happens quite often, last march a bunch of Frat-Brats were confined to cabin and kicked off the ship I was on for fighting, last year on the Navigator 2 people were arrested.  The cruise lines don't advertise it, but the "buzz" usually gets around the ship fairly quickly. :) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, JBRN1982 said:

Doesn’t sound like a good time to me. Neither does all this food I’m currently walking off on the track

43 minutes ago, JBRN1982 said:

It isn’t! It’s so good I’m eating way too much.

Understood.  I thought you meant that the food you are currently walking off doesn't sound like a good time.

Edited by time4u2go

1 hour ago, Host Clarea said:

Could be many reasons.  Quarantine, drugs, law enforcement, striking or otherwise abusing a crewmember or other passenger, smoking in the stateroom or on the balcony, not dressing properly for formal night, etc.

or maybe...

missing the muster drill

reusing a plate at the buffet

not accepting a squirt of Purell when the crewmember says, "Washy, washy!"

using flash photography at the show

insufficient tipping

towel animal cruelty

not wiping down exercise equipment

making bunny ears behind the captain on your photo

cheating at trivia

peeing in the pool

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, JBRN1982 said:

AOS

FYI - there are 3 ships that can be abbreviated AOS...

1 hour ago, Pat.D said:

The passenger was a young lady who got a little too enthusiastic with the drink package and disrobed what little she was wearing while dancing around the main pool

Why can't this happen when I'm on board/near the pool?

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, JBRN1982 said:

Her family didn’t look too pleased this evening when they were waiting outside her room

Guessing whatever she did her travelling party got clemency from the Captain if she's just being detained in her cabin.  Normally offenders get expelled at the next port.  Keeping guards at a cabin door 24/24 is not cost efficient for the cruise line.

6 hours ago, Pat.D said:

J When security intervened she got belligerent so they arrested and confined to her cabin until the next port.

I notice you use the word arrested. We have never had anything to do with security other than getting our cards ‘bonged’ but always been curious what powers they actually have.

For example as they are not police officers do they have the power to confine you anywhere?

I guess Maritime Law and international waters has something to do with it.

6 hours ago, MightyMike said:

or maybe...

missing the muster drill

reusing a plate at the buffet

not accepting a squirt of Purell when the crewmember says, "Washy, washy!"

using flash photography at the show

insufficient tipping

towel animal cruelty

not wiping down exercise equipment

making bunny ears behind the captain on your photo

cheating at trivia

peeing in the pool

I was under the impression that you could be asked to leave the ship if you refused to go to the muster drill. 

Can someone clarify please.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Bloodgem said:

I was under the impression that you could be asked to leave the ship if you refused to go to the muster drill. 

You're correct. You can definitely be disembarked (kicked off) for refusing to attend the muster drill.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bloodgem said:

First they will be offered to do the muster drill on their own with a crew member.

It is compulsory so everyone has to go for their own safety and if they refuse they will and deserve to be kicked off the ship.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tin can said:

I notice you use the word arrested. We have never had anything to do with security other than getting our cards ‘bonged’ but always been curious what powers they actually have.

For example as they are not police officers do they have the power to confine you anywhere?

Yes, they do have that power.    When I've seen security outside a stateroom 24 hours, it's been because the passenger is being handed over to some law enforcement authority on land.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tin can said:

I'm not sure "arrest" is the right word but it's as good as any. The Captain has the right to confine any passenger that he deems to be a danger to others or to the ship. It's not an authority that is taken lightly. Oftentimes a passenger who is confined to their cabin will be "invited" to leave the ship at the next port of call.

4 hours ago, Tin can said:

Regardless of where the ship is (international or national waters), the law onboard the ship is the law of the flag state, and the Captain is that nation's designated authority onboard the ship.  He has the sole authority to detain anyone onboard, and to administer punishment.  In decisions relating to the safety of the ship, crew, cargo (passengers), or the environment, the Captain has "over-riding authority", meaning he is able to make these decisions without regard to checking with higher authority at either the company or national level.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Pat.D said:

When security intervened she got belligerent

This is literally all it takes to get confined to your cabin with a security guard outside your door.  I watched this happen with a friend of mine in 2015 on Freedom of the Seas and rightfully so.  I heard Captain Ron threw 8 people off the ship that week. I personally witnessed 4 being disembarked in Falmouth.   Im guessing whoever it was, will be immediately disembarked at the next port of call unless its a quarantine for sickness.  Im not sure that they put security outside your door for sickness though?  Anyway,  If the next port of call is Coco Cay or Labadee, they would be removed from the ship at the next port after that. 

Edited by ryano
  • Like 2

Years ago we were in a room up the hall from the Royal Suite.  The wife threw a bottle of red wine against the wall, it broke all over the white carpet, lamp shades, piano, etc.  Took them 2 days to clean it all up.  They were in an argument when she did this, and she was drunk.  They made them stay in their room, guards outside until the next port.  Then they assisted them off the ship.  I bet they got a hefty cleanup bill added to their credit card!!

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, ryano said:

... Im not sure that they put security outside your door for sickness though? ...

They do if they feel you are contagious and cannot be trusted to cooperate with the quarantine.

• Like 3