Thomas Cook - cruise-only

spirite

HI

Just wondering if anyone else is trying to sort out a Thomas Cook booking with Celebrity (cruise-only - no flights). 

We had paid Thomas Cook in full for an upcoming cruise. Both Celebrity and Thomas Cook are ABTA protected, so in theory everything should be OK.

Celebrity have effectively moved us to a direct booking but our account is currently showing we owe them for the full amount. I'm hoping this will get cleared up soon as they sort through the bookings.

2 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

It’s all so new, I say give them a few days to sort it out.  When is the cruise?

Yes, I agree. I assume it’s all going to get sorted. Trying not to worry or hassle the poor people trying to sort out the mess. 

Cruise is start of Dec, so time to get it done. I expect there are people cruising sooner on same situation. 

Really sorry to hear of your situation.  

I suspect you are going to have a problem.   It sounds like Thomas Cook did not apply your payment directly to your Celebrity Account.   It may have to do with different rules in the UK than the U.S.

On all of my bookings via an agent in the U.S.,   the minute I authorize a payment via my travel agent I get a notification from my bank that a  charge from CELEBRITY was made to my credit card.   Shortly thereafter I receive via my agent a Celebrity Receipt on a CELEBRITY INVOICE and Boilerplate.   

I'm not sure if Credit Cards disputes work the same in UK but in America  if there was a similar situation I would contact my credit cared company and dispute the charge due to the Bankruptcy.   There are time limits so if similar I would first contact them.  

I’m not sure if TC worked the same way with cruises as with hotel bookings, but it seems from people who are currently on holiday that hotels haven’t been paid by TC and some are demanding money from the holidaymakers, if that’s also happened here I think maybe you’ll have to wait for Atol/abta to sort it for you?

From what I read yesterday, it seems people who are currently stuck are having to pay for new flights home and are later reimbursed by ABTA.  This would obviously be a problem for those who can't afford to buy a new ticket and wait to be reimbursed later - especially since many are finding airfares much higher now than when they originally booked with TC.

With a Dec cruise your final payment date is not too far off, there may be some way to get ABTA to pay beforehand, but the current approach seems to be you pay first and then get reimbursed after the fact.  I'm sure Celebrity is dealing with quite a few people who are in your shoes.  I'd be on the phone with them to get their advice before your final payment date passes.

As a side note......  Be thankful you didn't book flight only.  What I read said that flight-only arrangements  are not covered by ABTA.  Those people are really hung out to dry.

As per the X U.K. website:

THOMAS COOK UPDATE

Updated: 24 September 2019, 2.30pm

We’re sorry to say that on Monday 23rd September, Thomas Cook was placed into administration. Please be assured we will be doing everything we can to ensure you still have an amazing trip. We will honour all elements of the booking which Thomas Cook made through Celebrity Cruises.

I HAVE BOOKED MY HOLIDAY WITH YOU THROUGH THOMAS COOK. WHAT SHALL I DO NOW?

If you are travelling before Monday 30th September, please call 01932 834145.  

We reached out to all guests affected by the news via email on Monday 23rd September, if you have not received our email, please email us at customerserviceuk@celebritycruises.com with the following information:

• Your full name, ship name and sail date
  • Celebrity Cruises booking reference
  • Copies of receipts for payments made to Thomas Cook
  • Copy of your latest Thomas Cook invoice
  • Copy of your ATOL certificate

To ensure our team see your email as quickly as possible, please ensure your email subject line is displayed as follows: THOMAS COOK: [INSERT YOUR CELEBRITY CRUISES BOOKING REFERENCE SHIP AND SAIL DATE]

If you are travelling before Monday 30th September please call us on        0845 345 2451 – we’re open Mon – Fri 08:30 – 20:00, Sat 09:00 – 18:00 and Sun 10:00 – 17:00. 

We will now be managing your cruise booking directly – plus any other elements Thomas Cook arranged through us. If you have an outstanding balance, we’ll be in touch to organise direct payment.

WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO MY BOOKING?

Please rest assured we will honour all elements of your booking which Thomas Cook made through us and we’ll take you through the process when we’re in touch. 

THOMAS COOK BOOKED MY FLIGHTS, BUT THE CRUISE IS BOOKED WITH CELEBRITY CRUISES - WHAT SHOULD I DO ABOUT MY FLIGHTS?

Please refer to the ATOL certificate you received from Thomas Cook at the time of confirmation. If your flights were booked through a non-Thomas Cook airline, please contact them directly to discuss your booking. 

You can also visit the dedicated CAA webpage for further advice – https://thomascook.caa.co.uk/

We will honour all elements of your booking which Thomas Cook made through us, so the cruise portion of your booking is unaffected.

THOMAS COOK BOOKED MY FLY-CRUISE PACKAGE WITH CELEBRITY CRUISES, WHAT DO I NEED TO DO?

If we arranged your flights as part of the package, they’re covered under Celebrity Cruises ATOL certificate which you received from Thomas Cook at the time of confirmation and are unaffected. 

THOMAS COOK HAS CEASED TRADING, SO IS MY ATOL CERTIFICATE STILL VALID? 

Yes.  ATOL, which stands for Air Travel Organiser’s Licence, is a scheme which protects customers if a travel company they booked with stops trading. This stops you becoming stranded abroad or out of pocket.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

• All package holidays with a flight sold by Thomas Cook are protected by ATOL. ATOL certificates are issued at the time of confirmation and give details about the level of protection this provides you
  • Cruise-only holidays sold by Thomas Cook are protected by ABTA
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Wow... That communication really sounds good.    I'm sure it gives you a certain sense of confidence that things will be sorted.

Yes - I saw it online - reassuring. But still unnerving while waiting for them to get to sorting out our specific case.🤞

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2019 at 7:53 PM, villauk said:

As per the X U.K. website:

THOMAS COOK UPDATE

Updated: 24 September 2019, 2.30pm

We’re sorry to say that on Monday 23rd September, Thomas Cook was placed into administration. Please be assured we will be doing everything we can to ensure you still have an amazing trip. We will honour all elements of the booking which Thomas Cook made through Celebrity Cruises.

I HAVE BOOKED MY HOLIDAY WITH YOU THROUGH THOMAS COOK. WHAT SHALL I DO NOW?

If you are travelling before Monday 30th September, please call 01932 834145.  

We reached out to all guests affected by the news via email on Monday 23rd September, if you have not received our email, please email us at customerserviceuk@celebritycruises.com with the following information:

• Your full name, ship name and sail date
  • Celebrity Cruises booking reference
  • Copies of receipts for payments made to Thomas Cook
  • Copy of your latest Thomas Cook invoice
  • Copy of your ATOL certificate

To ensure our team see your email as quickly as possible, please ensure your email subject line is displayed as follows: THOMAS COOK: [INSERT YOUR CELEBRITY CRUISES BOOKING REFERENCE SHIP AND SAIL DATE]

If you are travelling before Monday 30th September please call us on        0845 345 2451 – we’re open Mon – Fri 08:30 – 20:00, Sat 09:00 – 18:00 and Sun 10:00 – 17:00. 

We will now be managing your cruise booking directly – plus any other elements Thomas Cook arranged through us. If you have an outstanding balance, we’ll be in touch to organise direct payment.

WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO MY BOOKING?

Please rest assured we will honour all elements of your booking which Thomas Cook made through us and we’ll take you through the process when we’re in touch. 

THOMAS COOK BOOKED MY FLIGHTS, BUT THE CRUISE IS BOOKED WITH CELEBRITY CRUISES - WHAT SHOULD I DO ABOUT MY FLIGHTS?

Please refer to the ATOL certificate you received from Thomas Cook at the time of confirmation. If your flights were booked through a non-Thomas Cook airline, please contact them directly to discuss your booking. 

You can also visit the dedicated CAA webpage for further advice – https://thomascook.caa.co.uk/

We will honour all elements of your booking which Thomas Cook made through us, so the cruise portion of your booking is unaffected.

THOMAS COOK BOOKED MY FLY-CRUISE PACKAGE WITH CELEBRITY CRUISES, WHAT DO I NEED TO DO?

If we arranged your flights as part of the package, they’re covered under Celebrity Cruises ATOL certificate which you received from Thomas Cook at the time of confirmation and are unaffected. 

THOMAS COOK HAS CEASED TRADING, SO IS MY ATOL CERTIFICATE STILL VALID? 

Yes.  ATOL, which stands for Air Travel Organiser’s Licence, is a scheme which protects customers if a travel company they booked with stops trading. This stops you becoming stranded abroad or out of pocket.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

• All package holidays with a flight sold by Thomas Cook are protected by ATOL. ATOL certificates are issued at the time of confirmation and give details about the level of protection this provides you
  • Cruise-only holidays sold by Thomas Cook are protected by ABTA

Trust me it is not as straight forward as they say..

Celebrity have not contacted me at all apart from receipts of my emails.

I am impacted and I have heard nothing despite 10 phone calls and 3 emails.

Annie

Edited by anniegb

13 minutes ago, anniegb said:

Trust me it is not as straight forward as they say..

Celebrity have not contacted me at all apart from receipts of my emails.

I am impacted and I have heard nothing despite 10 phone calls and 3 emails.

Annie

Hi Annie

I had a similar issue. I did have an email from Celebrity last week saying that it was being sorted out. Meanwhile, my reservation was showing a huge outstanding balance.

Good news is that today my balance is showing as zero (fully paid). I have yet to receive an invoice confirmation but it does look like they are sorting through everything.

14 minutes ago, spirite said:

Hi Annie

I had a similar issue. I did have an email from Celebrity last week saying that it was being sorted out. Meanwhile, my reservation was showing a huge outstanding balance.

Good news is that today my balance is showing as zero (fully paid). I have yet to receive an invoice confirmation but it does look like they are sorting through everything.

Thanks.

You are lucky - I have still heard nothing and cruise this month.

I did not telephone in September to allow everyone time to sort things out.  However no-one is chasing me for money. 🙂

Annie

7 minutes ago, anniegb said:

Thanks.

I did not telephone in September to allow everyone time to sort things out.  However no-one is chasing me for money. 🙂

Annie

Another number that may help you: 01932 834300.

Just now, anniegb said:

Thanks but I am not telephoning anymore and running up my telephone bill.

Other cruise lines have 0800 numbers but NOT Celebrity.

Annie

I think that's a normal geographic number - included in most mobile packages.

7 minutes ago, spirite said:

I think that's a normal geographic number - included in most mobile packages.

Mobile packages??

They have my contact telephone numbers - customer service?? sadly missing.  Would they ask US customers to telephone them at their expense??

Rant over 🙂

Annie

1 hour ago, anniegb said:

Thanks.

Annie

I wouldn't worry too much. A friend of mine embarked on Silhouette a few days ago after booking through Thomas Cook. As they had ABTA protection Celebrity have honoured the booking at no additional cost. 

I suspect they have many bookings that they will be currently working through giving priority based on sail date perhaps. I'm sure it will all work out for you. 

8 minutes ago, Mynki said:

I wouldn't worry too much. A friend of mine embarked on Silhouette a few days ago after booking through Thomas Cook. As they had ABTA protection Celebrity have honoured the booking at no additional cost. 

I suspect they have many bookings that they will be currently working through giving priority based on sail date perhaps. I'm sure it will all work out for you. 

Thanks.

I am not worrying - just annoyed they are not responding to anything.  

Annie

47 minutes ago, anniegb said:

Thanks.

I am not worrying - just annoyed they are not responding to anything.  

Annie

It must be frustrating and I do feel heartedly sorry for all those caught up in the Thomas Cook mess, customers and employees alike. Keep us updated, if possible, on your particular case and I do hope you have a great cruise 😉.

1 hour ago, villauk said:

It must be frustrating and I do feel heartedly sorry for all those caught up in the Thomas Cook mess, customers and employees alike. Keep us updated, if possible, on your particular case and I do hope you have a great cruise 😉.

Frustration was the word I used in today's emails.

I am just following the advice given on the ABTA website but I can't

get anyone to answer the phone or reply to my emails.

It is not just those who booked through TC shops that are impacted but I will update if I hear anything.

Annie

Edited by anniegb

5 hours ago, anniegb said:

Mobile packages??

Would they ask US customers to telephone them at their expense??

Rant over 🙂

Annie

Most US phone plans, landline and mobile no longer have per call charges, so, yes they would ask US customers to call them with questions.

Sorry about your situation and hope it is resolved in your favor quickly.