Price Drop but Cabin Category Sold Out

rimmit

Hello,

I tried searching for this topic but nothing came up.  Celebrity is currently running a Kids Sail Free Promo.  Our cabin category is currently sold out about 500 days in advance.  This is an inside cabin with 4 berths in the Silhouette for the Jan 31, 2021 cruise.  There are only 5 rooms on the ship that are inside that fit 4.

I know that the price is a $1000 dollar plus two perks difference as on the other two sailings with the category available that are even a smidge more;  the price is notably lower.  These are my options.  

Upgrade to an ocean view for $200 less than my current booking price plus get two perks vs no perks right now.  This will open up the inside cabin.  As long as no one snatched it up in the couple minutes it would take to rebook it, we could save a $1000 and get two perks.  In the unlikely event someone snatched it in that time span, I will still come out ahead with the ocean view cabin.  If Our TA and X aren’t fast enough at repricing and changing,  worst case is we come out $200 ahead in Price plus two perks.  Best case scenario is we come out $1000 ahead and two perks. 

Or can X price adjust on a sold out cabin category avoiding the small risk of losing the cabin.  We actually prefer insides compared to a room with windows or balconies as our kids sleep better without the windows.

44 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

In my experience, if the category is sold out they will not reprice. If you want to take a chance you could do the upgrade and see what happens. The price on the inside might increase once you release it.  Did you ask your TA about this?

I have emailed them but am waiting for them to get back to me.

It is highly doubtful it would increase a total $1000 dollars and two perks, but anything is possible.  Worst case is i upgrade save $200 and get two perks.  Only negative is it’s an ocean view and we prefer insides.  Has any one ever tried to swap an ocean view on a ship for an inside cabin?   Like could guest relations ask the inside cabins if they’d like to upgrade to an ocean view for free, once on board?

I'm so confused by this. I assume you are before final payment? You are currently in an inside cabin, and want to keep the same people in the same cabin but use an ocean view as a middle man in the hope that once your cabin is empty the price for it will drop $1,000?

I guess you (the OP) are posting a great example why we choose to book all of our cruises through excellent high volume cruise agencies.  In such a situation we would simply e-mail (or call) our cruise agent and ask if they can simply negotiate a lower price on our existing booking (reprice).   In fact, we are involved in such a maneuver today on an expensive 28 day Princess booking.   With Celebrity repricing can get very complicated (and dicey) because Celebrity plays all kinds of games with "perks" and related promotions.  Having a travel professional working on your behalf (one who deals with this stuff on a daily basis) can be rewarding.   

If you booked your cruise directly with X you can certainly call and speak to a reservations agent about your questions and options.  But since those folks work for the cruise line, and they already have your booking, there is little incentive for them to do things in your best interests...vs simply trying to maximize profits for the cruise line.  While some posters here on CC will tell you that they prefer to maintain "control" of their own booking by dealing directly with the cruise line, the only folks who are really in "control" are the cruise line.  Your only leverage is as a single booker and that is really very little leverage.  Another game, often played by many cruise lines (not just Celebrity) is to say that a new promotion or lower pricing applies to "new bookings only."  If you are outside of the penalty period you can always cancel a reservation and rebook (then it is a new reservation) but not guarantee that you will be able to get that desired inside cabin.

Hank

40 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I guess you (the OP) are posting a great example why we choose to book all of our cruises through excellent high volume cruise agencies.  In such a situation we would simply e-mail (or call) our cruise agent and ask if they can simply negotiate a lower price on our existing booking (reprice).   In fact, we are involved in such a maneuver today on an expensive 28 day Princess booking.   With Celebrity repricing can get very complicated (and dicey) because Celebrity plays all kinds of games with "perks" and related promotions.  Having a travel professional working on your behalf (one who deals with this stuff on a daily basis) can be rewarding.   

If you booked your cruise directly with X you can certainly call and speak to a reservations agent about your questions and options.  But since those folks work for the cruise line, and they already have your booking, there is little incentive for them to do things in your best interests...vs simply trying to maximize profits for the cruise line.  While some posters here on CC will tell you that they prefer to maintain "control" of their own booking by dealing directly with the cruise line, the only folks who are really in "control" are the cruise line.  Your only leverage is as a single booker and that is really very little leverage.  Another game, often played by many cruise lines (not just Celebrity) is to say that a new promotion or lower pricing applies to "new bookings only."  If you are outside of the penalty period you can always cancel a reservation and rebook (then it is a new reservation) but not guarantee that you will be able to get that desired inside cabin.

Hank

We are booked with a TA.  Unfortunately, my TA is having health issues and only works 3 hours a day right now so she is a little slow on the adjustment.  

1 hour ago, sanger727 said:

I'm so confused by this. I assume you are before final payment? You are currently in an inside cabin, and want to keep the same people in the same cabin but use an ocean view as a middle man in the hope that once your cabin is empty the price for it will drop $1,000?

Basically yes.  We are 500 days out.  I wasn’t sure if they could just reprice it, or if we would have to vacate the cabin so the system would reprice it appropriately.  

22 minutes ago, rimmit said:

We are booked with a TA.  Unfortunately, my TA is having health issues and only works 3 hours a day right now so she is a little slow on the adjustment.  

Basically yes.  We are 500 days out.  I wasn’t sure if they could just reprice it, or if we would have to vacate the cabin so the system would reprice it appropriately.  

The fact that you have used a TA means that your TA must be the one to deal with the repricing issue.   Since you will be on one of the last "drive by" cruises in the Antarctica area, I suspect that bookings will be heavy for your cruise.  By 2022 there will be no large Celebrity ships permitted to go into Antarctic waters.

In your situation I would ask my TA (or another agent in their office) to explore repricing options while keeping your current cabin.  Once you hear the possible options you will be in a much better place to make the best decision.

Hank

14 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

The fact that you have used a TA means that your TA must be the one to deal with the repricing issue.   Since you will be on one of the last "drive by" cruises in the Antarctica area, I suspect that bookings will be heavy for your cruise.  By 2022 there will be no large Celebrity ships permitted to go into Antarctic waters.

In your situation I would ask my TA (or another agent in their office) to explore repricing options while keeping your current cabin.  Once you hear the possible options you will be in a much better place to make the best decision.

Hank

Yes we are well aware of the polar code.  I have been to Antarctica twice on expedition ships with quark and one ocean, but would like to take my two kids to at least see it from a ship before the rules tighten and the big cruise ships are gone.  Hopefully it will give them an appreciation for the climate change issues.  

Plus being on a big ship will hopefully mitigate some of the drake passage.  

The two other sailing have ample insides still.  Ours for some reason sold out two weeks ago.

3 hours ago, voyager1964 said:

It looks like the public is more tolerable these days than eight years ago:

Wow,  I am grateful everyone on this forum was a little more helpful as it was definitely reprised without any issues.