Live from the Viking Star 9/28/19 Venice to Barcelona

zitsky

Day 1 Venice 

Vce airport
Automated immigration with biometrics.
Don't forget manual stamp of passport

Near the exit are people holding viking signs. Then many people guiding you.

Long walk to bus

They did not wait to fill the bus.  We left with the bus only partly full.

I do NOT like the smell of food in the World cafe.

Explorer lounge very nice.  Not crowded at 1.30pm.  Classical music playing.  More people in Living Room.

Luggage delivery was fast about 1.5 hr after getting into room.

Muscadet Wine in World Cafe was decent but warm.  Asked for ice.

Champagne I ordered delivered warm no ice.

Gondola and water taxi bumpy.  It's the ocean!  But we had music and song on the gondola!  We didn't pay for a private gondola but that's what we got.  We tipped well.

Overall, Viking is well organized.  Similar to what we saw with river.

Edited by zitsky
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, BruceLovesSailing said:

Zitsky

what did the restaurant/hotel manager say when you told him about the smell at the WC? 

I didn't mention it.  I was too busy settling in.  My only suggestion would be more ventilation.  It's about picking my battles.  They will hear from me about warm champagne!

44 minutes ago, RJ2002 said:

Thanks for these initial reports!

Call room service.  They'll bring you some ice for that bubbly.  🥂

Oh yes.  And I know the one weird trick using ice and water to cool it faster.  But most restaurants would bring the wine chilled AND in an ice bucket.  Hospitality 101.

Something to mention to the restaurant manager at the World Cafe.  The placemats are not hygienic.  If you spill something it soaks through.  If you don't notice it, it just stays there on the table.

This is not a problem unique to the WC.  I have a similar design at home.

Do people post pics in these live threads?  

Had a wonderful tour of Venice this morning.  Had a couple that was very aggressive, trying to be first in line at all times!

Just had a recommendation from our guide to visit the Peggy Guggenheim museum next time. 

Edited by zitsky
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Do people post pics in these live threads?  

Had a wonderful tour of Venice this morning.  Had a couple that was very aggressive, trying to be first in line at all times!

Just had a recommendation from our guide to visit the Peggy Guggenheim museum next time. 

Please do post pictures. Very easy now after the forum upgrade. They add a LOT to live threads and are much appreciated. 

Agree the Peggy Guggenheim is a great stop. We went on our last visit to Venice. Try to get there early, right after opening. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peggy_Guggenheim_Collection

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zitsky said:

The passengers do tend to skew older.  My husband and I are in our early 50's.  I think we've seen one couple in their 30's.  Everyone else is in their 60's or older.

Hey-don’t be picking on us in our sixties, you’ll be here soon, bless your heart. 

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Rezzonico Palace was nice.  Only took an hour and a half.  Some people ignoring the no photo rule.  Guides didn't seem to mind.  Picture with no flash is ok.

The museum offers audio guides (tablets) and many people are using them.

Waiting for a water taxi back to the terminal. 

1 hour ago, Clay Clayton said:

Hey-don’t be picking on us in our sixties, you’ll be here soon, bless your heart. 

It was a statement of fact.  And, I live in Raleigh so I know what "Bless your heart" means.

Edited by zitsky
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I loved the Guggenheim Museum!  There is a little spot in a hallway with pictures showing how it looked when she lived there and was residing in the space with all those beautiful things. I highly recommend searching it out. It’s fun to imagine all the things in their place. She really slept under that magical headboard by Alexander Calder! 

I spent a while on the veranda imagining what it must have been like early in the morning when she sat there enjoying her morning cup of coffee. 

And those blue blue glass goddess like figures in the window are also a favorite!

Photos are from a weekend in Venice in June 2018. 

65C5BE57-761A-4654-9AD3-4CA8B64819AC.jpeg

F29F08FD-2033-44DF-8AF5-5B0BE26E691E.jpeg

6315EDAB-2EE7-45B6-873A-3AE26D9DE04C.jpeg

98E99CD2-E1C7-4208-82F7-E3236616E238.jpeg

B37D5489-1939-42B5-A60F-2188B52504C6.jpeg

I tried posting pics but they didn't show up.  I'm not sure how readable these are.  Using a cell phone camera.  If they are readable, I will post more.

Looking at these online, they don't look so good.  Sorry about that.

20190929_140729.jpg

20190929_140746.jpg

Edited by zitsky
  • Like 1

Your pictures of the daily newsletter are perfect! I click on them and they open and I can zoom in and read everything easily!

I noticed as you depart Venice the Viking Historian will be providing live commentary in the Explorer Lounge. I am wondering if that is broadcasted on the TV as well so if you wanted to sit on your balcony you might be able to leave the door ajar and hear it...

It might also be great if you could here it on those headphones you use in port from anywhere on the ship... but I think those have a particular range.