International date line Problem??

LynnTTT

I'm CONFUSED and also feeling very stupid,  Our Costa cruise isn't showing the intinerary by actual calendar date, but by day of the cruise.  So day 1 is a Sunday and I'm filling in a calendar.

I get to Rarotonga in the Cook Islands  which is the 47th day.  That's Feb 18

Then we cruise for 5 days ( 19,20,21,22, 23) until we get to Tauranga NZ.  So that day is February 24, right?

I've been looking at times right now and up thru the Cook Islands, it is today (Saturday) and then in NZ it's Sunday.

I want to book some excursions but want to make sure I have the days correct.  Actually, we get free excursions in NZ and Australia.  Maybe they're afraid we'll disappear into the Twilight Zone.:-) 

Suggestions?  Calm me down  :')

Well, I think I figured out that we don't lose a day.   But I still don't understand it!!

I was a student in North Carolina when they first adopted Daylight Saving Time.  I had a hard time getting people to understand that " No, days won't be only 23 hours long the future.  When you go to bed at 2:00 (hey, it was college) just move your clock to 

3:00 AM, then when you wake up, just carry on"

19 hours ago, LynnTTT said:

I'm CONFUSED and also feeling very stupid,  Our Costa cruise isn't showing the intinerary by actual calendar date, but by day of the cruise.  So day 1 is a Sunday and I'm filling in a calendar.

I get to Rarotonga in the Cook Islands  which is the 47th day.  That's Feb 18

Then we cruise for 5 days ( 19,20,21,22, 23) until we get to Tauranga NZ.  So that day is February 24, right?

I've been looking at times right now and up thru the Cook Islands, it is today (Saturday) and then in NZ it's Sunday.

I want to book some excursions but want to make sure I have the days correct.  Actually, we get free excursions in NZ and Australia.  Maybe they're afraid we'll disappear into the Twilight Zone.:-) 

Suggestions?  Calm me down  :')

It is very confusing, I agree.  But surely Costa can provide you with the actual dates of the itinerary, if you ask?

I did find a calendar for the itinerary and have it straightened out.  But it does kind of boggle the mind.

And frankly, Costa is not the most easy to navigate web site especially for an English speakers.  

At least now I can book non-ship excursions without being afraid I'm booking it for a day after the actual day.... or before the actual day... Oy. 

Once you've done this once it will get easy to figure it out.

We've done it several times.

Yes Costa tougher because they show days and not actual dates.

The line we primarily sail shows the date so they might show February 7, February 8 cross the dateline (meaning you skip the 8th) and then the 9th.

Keith

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Once you've done this once it will get easy to figure it out.

We've done it several times.

Yes Costa tougher because they show days and not actual dates.

The line we primarily sail shows the date so they might show February 7, February 8 cross the dateline (meaning you skip the 8th) and then the 9th.

Keith

Thanks Keith, so when I look my my schedule and see "Feb 8, Crossing the International Dateline", that means we'll go from Feb.7 straight to Feb.9 I guess.  And I don't have to count that as an extra sea day.

Just now, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Thanks Keith, so when I look my my schedule and see "Feb 8, Crossing the International Dateline", that means we'll go from Feb.7 straight to Feb.9 I guess.  And I don't have to count that as an extra sea day.

You are very welcome.

Yes you will go to sleep on February 7 and wake up to February 9.

On our first World Cruise coincidentally February 8 was when we crossed the international dateline.  I remember the date as it is our daughter's birthday.  A World Cruiser who we know also has a February 8 birthday so the good news for her is she keep the same age for another year.  Well, just kidding about that.  

Keith

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, wishIweretravelling said:

On the 2016 WC on Crystal, the date after the first crossing of the date line never happened. When we crossed back over, the same date happened twice. 

Yes, that's precisely how it works.

Going East to West you skip the date on the return you have the same date two days in a row.  

Keith

1 minute ago, Keith1010 said:

Yes, that's precisely how it works.

Going East to West you skip the date on the return you have the same date two days in a row.  

Keith

So going one way, westbound, we'll never get that day back!  And yes, for someone whose birthday it falls on, it would be like leap year babies, you just don't age!

7 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

So going one way, westbound, we'll never get that day back!  And yes, for someone whose birthday it falls on, it would be like leap year babies, you just don't age!

Yes.  On most of our World Cruises we've just lost the day and never gotten it back.  One one or two we got the day back.  I love going East to West though as you turn the clock back which to me is so much easier than forwarding the clock..

Yes, those leap year babies don't age as much as most of us do.  :classic_laugh:

Keith

Just to add to the confusion, I did have one westbound crossing where the ship "crossed" the dateline (ship time) on a different day than was shown on the itinerary, either the day before or after, I don't remember.  It was in the middle of a series of sea days, though, so it did not change any of the port dates from the original itinerary.

Karen

• Like 1

One thing about the international dateline is when you go over the line you will feel a bump so if you are up when it happens you will know.  😀

And for anyone who believes me, I have a bridge to sell you at an excellent price.  😎

Keith

• Haha 1

On 9/30/2019 at 9:01 AM, Wendy The Wanderer said:

You don't actually lose the day, you just live that day for 1/2hr or 1 hr every time the cloxs are moved back. As pax, we all enjoy the cloxs going back, but at the Date-Line you pay for all that extra sleep by the loss of an entire day.😢

• Like 1

20 hours ago, SusieQft said:

Just to add to the confusion, I did have one westbound crossing where the ship "crossed" the dateline (ship time) on a different day than was shown on the itinerary, either the day before or after, I don't remember.  It was in the middle of a series of sea days, though, so it did not change any of the port dates from the original itinerary.

Karen

The dateline (antimeridian) is generally 180 degrees from the Prime Meridian, but it does not follow the Meridian, as many Island Nations have changed their time zone, to better align with major trading partners. Therefore, the ships Latitude greatly affects when you actually cross the actual Date Line.

When developing a cruise, the planners estimate when the Date Line is crossed, but the actual timing is up to the Captain.

2 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

The dateline (antimeridian) is generally 180 degrees from the Prime Meridian, but it does not follow the Meridian, as many Island Nations have changed their time zone, to better align with major trading partners. Therefore, the ships Latitude greatly affects when you actually cross the actual Date Line.

When developing a cruise, the planners estimate when the Date Line is crossed, but the actual timing is up to the Captain.

Actually, on the cruise I mentioned, we crossed the physical date line several times on the way from Hawaii to American Samoa, but in ship time the Captain waited until after American Samoa because it is on the US side of the line.  (Formerly Western) Samoa is on the east side of the line, along with Kiribati which I think causes the biggest glitch in the line, jogging it to the east by about 30 degrees longitude, well east of Hawaii.  Some older maps show Western Samoa on the east side of the international date line because it moved across to the west side the line in 2011 to align their calendar with New Zealand.

Speaking of Kiribati, we stopped there before American Samoa, so our "ship date" was not the actual date there.  I don't think I realized that at the time, but looking back and reconstructing our route, that must have been the case.  I don't think there was any way to book independent tours there, so the date did not really matter.  It would have really been confusing if the ship time crossed the date line 3 times to match our actual itinerary!

Karen

8 hours ago, SusieQft said:

Actually, on the cruise I mentioned, we crossed the physical date line several times on the way from Hawaii to American Samoa, but in ship time the Captain waited until after American Samoa because it is on the US side of the line.  (Formerly Western) Samoa is on the east side of the line, along with Kiribati which I think causes the biggest glitch in the line, jogging it to the east by about 30 degrees longitude, well east of Hawaii.  Some older maps show Western Samoa on the east side of the international date line because it moved across to the west side the line in 2011 to align their calendar with New Zealand.

Speaking of Kiribati, we stopped there before American Samoa, so our "ship date" was not the actual date there.  I don't think I realized that at the time, but looking back and reconstructing our route, that must have been the case.  I don't think there was any way to book independent tours there, so the date did not really matter.  It would have really been confusing if the ship time crossed the date line 3 times to match our actual itinerary!

Karen

Thanks for explaining, I can definitely visualise multiple crossings of the IDL sailing HI to Pago Pago.

When Samoa changed a few years ago, I was surprised that although Samoa & American Samoa are only about 60 - 70 miles apart, the IDL runs between them. I recall the Pago Pago to Apia hop was only 80 - 100 miles

10 hours ago, SusieQft said:

(Formerly Western) Samoa is on the east side of the line, along with Kiribati

This particular "east" should have been "west".  I guess I am still confused.  Asia is on the west side of the IDL, which is just a bit counter-intuitive.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/30/2019 at 11:58 AM, Keith1010 said:

You are very welcome.

Yes you will go to sleep on February 7 and wake up to February 9.

On our first World Cruise coincidentally February 8 was when we crossed the international dateline.  I remember the date as it is our daughter's birthday.  A World Cruiser who we know also has a February 8 birthday so the good news for her is she keep the same age for another year.  Well, just kidding about that.  

Keith

I know a woman born on Feb 29th that claims to be in her early 20s rather than mid 70s.

• 2 weeks later...

A friend of ours was on a west bound trans-Pacific cruise last year.  There was a large multi generation family group to celebrate a gentleman's 100th birthday - his birthday was the day skipped.  To bad they weren't going eastbound and then he would have got to celebrate twice. 

The day missed was also a significant religious day for some people.  Some of them contacted the religions national office to get proper guidance.