Cheapest way to order wine onboard?

mama_2_boys

2 minutes ago, Crusin Karen said:

Just curious, if you were caught with a rum runner, what would happen? They'd take it away? I remember in the "olden days" they would hold your smuggled bottles for you and you could pick up before you left the ship the last morning.  

Technically I believe they can deny boarding according to the cruise contract.  If I am incorrect, I am sure some of my friends will step in and correct me.  Of course, that is a harsh course of action for breaking some rules, but maybe one they should strongly consider.

24 minutes ago, coevan said:

What an odd way to look at the 50% discount. We go to the Steakhouse at least twice a week, the 50% off is just a bonus. 

So do we. I’m the one that suggested it in the first place.  If you read the post I was answering it didn’t seem like he was aware that the 50% was a steakhouse offer.   I was just making him aware

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Crusin Karen said:

Just curious, if you were caught with a rum runner, what would happen? They'd take it away? I remember in the "olden days" they would hold your smuggled bottles for you and you could pick up before you left the ship the last morning.  

Either they would take it away and dispose of it or hold it until the end of cruise.

15 minutes ago, coevan said:

Jimbo, I doubt they EVER denied boarding for a Rum Runner, slap on the wrist in the naughty room. They want your liquor money even more now 😀

Cannot argue that.  That said, maybe for repeat offenders they should. 

2 hours ago, ed01106 said:

Either they would take it away and dispose of it or hold it until the end of cruise.

No, I know they don't hold it until the end of the cruise anymore.  WAY BACK I smuggled a bottle of something....can't remember what it was, vodka maybe.  I'm talking about maybe 15-20 years ago.  At that time, they would take it if found and before you debark at the end of the cruise, you could pick it up.  I think CCL got wise and realized that people were thinking, WTH, I'll smuggle, if they find it, I get it back anyway.  I learned that from this forum AND from personal experience.  I am embarrassed to say this, but I tried to get one of those little boxes of wine in my checked luggage years ago.  And they found it.  Just put a note in my suitcase that it was taken.  We went on a tour of the galley later in the cruise and darned if I did not see my box of wine right there on the counter with all the liquors, liquers, etc they use in the various dishes they make.  All I could do not to swipe it and tuck in under my shirt lol.  DH is a retired cop and both DS'es are cops,1 a detective.  Arrest me!!!!  Now I know to follow the rules.  I was riskier in my younger days! Just wondered if they are more strict nowadays! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BeckyT said:

If you are on a ship that does not have a steakhouse, can you get this same deal in the MDR?

It is enhanced over what they serve daily in the MDR, and advertised as steakhouse quality but not the same meal.  I have never tried it, cannot give a strong recommendation. 

On 9/30/2019 at 6:41 PM, mama_2_boys said:

With cruise the Vineyard do you have to order 3 different types or could you order multiple of the same? 

Granted, it's been two years, but the last time we did it, I was able to order all of the same.  It may have changed (though I am hoping not!)

On 10/5/2019 at 4:56 PM, xitappers2bx said:

Granted, it's been two years, but the last time we did it, I was able to order all of the same.  It may have changed (though I am hoping not!)

You can order the same wine over and over and we have done so, at times a certain wine was no longer in stock later in the cruise.

Edited by jimbo5544

We haven't been charged a corkage fee in a very long time. Between the platinum card and my DH to overtips everyone (just his thing) even on the first night. Our waiter this last time, however, recited to us an obviously memorised script when we brought our bottle to the MDR on two different nights, "I must tell you that I adhere to the company policy, and there will be a $15 corkage fee this evening". Never had that happen before. 

16 hours ago, Wanna_Cruize said:

We haven't been charged a corkage fee in a very long time. Between the platinum card and my DH to overtips everyone (just his thing) even on the first night. Our waiter this last time, however, recited to us an obviously memorised script when we brought our bottle to the MDR on two different nights, "I must tell you that I adhere to the company policy, and there will be a $15 corkage fee this evening". Never had that happen before. 

While we have never had it happen,  when traveling in a large group, someone brought a bottle and was going to be charged, but our waiter jumped over, had a quick conversation with the other waiter and they dropped it.  It might have been because we are Diamond, do not know.

• 4 weeks later...

We carried 2 on and had 2 bottles delivered to our room prior to boarding. Our plan was to try the wine and then order more via cruise the vineyards. We ended up not needing more because DH stuck with beer and mixed drinks plus I got a terrible rash from the cheap bottle of cabernet. I've had my fair share of wines (plenty of cheap ones too) over the years and never had issues before. I'm 100% sure it was from the wine too. Hopefully next year they have a different cabernet selection.

46 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

Question for those who pour a glass in the cabin and take it to dinner (Or anywhere else). Does anyone take the empty glass back or do you just keep asking for more either at bars or from room steward?

I keep my glass and pour the wine that I order throughout the evening into it (or the bartender does this for me).  Then, at the end of the night, I take my glass back to my cabin and wash and dry it.  But it's actually my glass.  That I bring from home.  I own it.  So my situation is different from that of most others that take a glass from their cabins.:classic_blush:

image.png.9148754dfc7567625b9dbd78c5b6a416.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShakyBeef said:

But it's actually my glass.  That I bring from home.  I own it. 

seriously, you bring a wine glass on a cruise? 

2 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

Question for those who pour a glass in the cabin and take it to dinner (Or anywhere else). Does anyone take the empty glass back or do you just keep asking for more either at bars or from room steward?

I have forgotten my glass in the MDR, no problem. You can get a glass from any bar or your room steward, if you want to wait.

29 minutes ago, coevan said:

seriously, you bring a wine glass on a cruise? 

They did say their “situation is different” so didn’t really address my question 

I have forgotten my glass in the MDR, no problem. You can get a glass from any bar or your room steward, if you want to wait.

I was thinking it might look awkward to carry the empty glass from the MDR. But then I read the above comment and realize some may look more “awkward”. Ship glassware is fine for me.

1 hour ago, coevan said:

We couldn't get wine glasses from our steward, only water goblets.

22 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

I was thinking it might look awkward to carry the empty glass from the MDR. But then I read the above comment and realize some may look more “awkward”. Ship glassware is fine for me.

If I am still finishing a drink at the end of dinner I will take the glass with me, but I leave empties there.  There will be a combination of glasses being used by passengers: glasses brought from home, water goblet filled with something else, drinks from a bar, drinks ordered in MDR.  We are fine with ship glasses in general, but we also carry insulated water tumblers around the ship.

1 hour ago, 2wheelin said:

If drinking my Pinot Noir from a decent Pinot Noir glass makes me look "awkward", that's fine with me.  I'll happily be awkward.   I'm not willing to sacrifice the pleasure of my wine for the sake of what passengers on a Carnival ship might think of me.:classic_rolleyes:   I'm a little spoiled by my Riedel crystal glasses, I admit.  And when I can easily avoid it, I won't subject my wine (and my palate) to the clunky, ill-fitted, non-aerating glasses Carnival provides. 

Life is too short to drink good wine out of crappy glasses.

• Like 1