Unlimited Dining Package - Worth It?

Hello Loyal RCL Cruisers!

We have sailed on RCL several times now and we are curious about giving the specialty restaurants a shot.  We have never tried any of them as we have always gone with other family and friends who did not want to pay the extra $$.

It will be just me, my husband and our 2 teenage boys sailing this go-round.  I'd love to get feedback on other's experiences.

We will be sailing on the Freedom after it's AMP'ed, and we love food.  LOL.  If that helps anyone. 

Thanks!

18 minutes ago, KelSny1011 said:

We will be sailing on the Freedom after it's AMP'ed, and we love food.  LOL.  If that helps anyone. 

Thanks!

Generally the food is better in the specialty restaurants then in the MDR or Windjammer. As Host Clarea stated worth it is very subjective. We have enjoyed it and my only recommendation would be get the Ultimate/unlimited dining package for better value. & night on a Freedom class can be purchased for 154 pp

Edited by Tulsacoker
  • Like 1

Yes, for the unlimited and I was a dollar short its $168 pp.  The math makes it around $24 pp a night.  I know it also includes Johnny Rockets which can be a different lunch option too.  We have been on several cruises through Royal and were just wondering if it would be fun to change up the dining options a bit.  

2 hours ago, KelSny1011 said:

We have sailed on RCL several times now and we are curious about giving the specialty restaurants a shot.....

Thanks!

I'm very much a fan of specialty over MDR, however in this case for the AMP'ed Freedom I would say save your money and do a 3 day package maximum rather than the UDP....

I understand the AMP'ed Freedom only has Giovanni's, Izumi, Playmakers & El Loco Fresh?

No Chops... no Wonderland... obviously no CP150... no Hooked.

For $168 x 4 of you so totally not worth it in my humble opinion for this specific ship.

Best price you normally get for any specialty is $20 per person (+/- a buck). I just paid $219 on 11 day Adventure ($20 per day).

Black Friday is coming up, and I've seen actual very good deals (especially last year) for all dining packages and other things on the cruise planner.

• Thanks 1

We (I) had grown tired of MDR food, so we (I) decided to get the UDP on Symphony.  We loved it!  It was a great treat, and I got it for $130 on Black Friday.  My advice- take a look at the specialty restaurants, and see if you really want to eat at them every night.

Symphony had so many options (including Hooked, which we loved), and we got a free embarkation lunch at chops, and 2 lunches on sea days, so we thought it was worth it.

We won’t do it every cruise, but it’s fun once and a while 🙂

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

I understand the AMP'ed Freedom only has Giovanni's, Izumi, Playmakers & El Loco Fresh?

No Chops... no Wonderland... obviously no CP150... no Hooked.

El Loco Fresh is a free eatery. 

I haven't heard anything about taking out Chops -- where did you get that rumor?  

5 minutes ago, brillohead said:

Be realistic about whether your boys will want to eat with you every night, too.... my son loved to eat with his buddies and get back to doing teen things, versus sitting down for a served meal.

I never thought about that since we have always been with other family and friends (they would have friends-family too).  Good point.  I would honestly be ecstatic if either met other teens on the ship.  The hubby and I dont need them trailing us saying how bored they are.  

5 minutes ago, brillohead said:

El Loco Fresh is a free eatery. 

I haven't heard anything about taking out Chops -- where did you get that rumor?  

Is Chops staying? Apologies if I'm incorrect.

No mention of it in the press releases, so I suspected it was no longer there.

10 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

Did the press releases mention the MDR, Windjammer, Cafe Promenade, Sorrentos, etc.?

I would imagine if it's not changing, it wouldn't be mentioned....

18 minutes ago, KelSny1011 said:

I never thought about that since we have always been with other family and friends (they would have friends-family too).  Good point.  I would honestly be ecstatic if either met other teens on the ship.  The hubby and I dont need them trailing us saying how bored they are.  

Have them attend the Teen Meet-n-Greet the first night (which is usually at 8pm, which is often when people are eating dinner!).  They'll meet tons of kids, and if they're at all social, they'll be out of your hair for the rest of the week! 

I only saw my son's sleeping body when I wandered back to the room at 3am or so, and occasional random encounters in the Promenade or Solarium, etc.   

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

Chops is still prominently featured on Royal Caribbean's page of things to do on Freedom post-amplification, so it's a sure thing it's staying.

16 minutes ago, brillohead said:

Did the press releases mention the MDR, Windjammer, Cafe Promenade, Sorrentos, etc.?
I would imagine if it's not changing, it wouldn't be mentioned....

Yep, I get it. Noted

12 minutes ago, timf2001 said:

Chops is still prominently featured on Royal Caribbean's page of things to do on Freedom post-amplification

I get it. Thx 

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships/freedom-of-the-seas/things-to-do

Too me they made it look like it was not part of the amplification. What brillohead said above

Edited by Hoopster95
  • Like 1

We recently did the Unlimited Dining Package on the Voyager--just Chops, Giovanni"s  and Izumi on a 9 day cruise with a few sea days for lunch there. There was plenty on the menus to have enough variety without ever eating in the MDR and only once in the Windjammer for embarkation lunch. We paid $199@ which I thought was a great deal. DW is now spoiled and wants to do this on every RCI cruise.

• Thanks 1

When I sign onto my cruise planner it shows that specialty dining options will be

Chops

Sabor

Giovanni's

Chefs Table 

Izumi 

For those who are questioning what will be on the refurb ship. 

Edited by KelSny1011
  • Like 1

I don't think the UDP includes Chef's Table. That is usually a multi-course wine pairing meal. I do agree with others about trying the 3 night package and eating other places on other nights. I think Johnny Rockets is about $10 p/p plus gratuity, so maybe. It is difficult to know if you would get value from it or not.