Sea Food buffet

rdr525

Usually menu is posted on the wall next to the dinning room each day for the lunch then later for dinner - I often check it out pre dinner to see if there is going to be something I like.

Find if I wait till I sit to eat, I get so busy talking I forget to pick what I want for dinner...

Would not want to be the waiters - we all order strange things that they have to remember and get - two app, 1 now 1 for dinner.

no veg, 2 veg etc.... good on them they manage with a smile to do so many tables each night.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, MissP22 said:

They're listing the theme of the dinner buffet on the back page or the patter each day now - At least on the Crown & Regal Princess. 

Same on the Royal recently. It was contained within a very small "advertisment" for the Horizon Court. Every day it had what the theme was for that night. You sort of had to look to find it.

3 minutes ago, leck57 said:

Same on the Royal recently. It was contained within a very small "advertisment" for the Horizon Court. Every day it had what the theme was for that night. You sort of had to look to find it.

I just looked back at some of my old patters and it varied from ship to ship. Some show the theme for both lunch & dinner while other don't show anything. I suppose it's left up to the person in charge of printing the patter if they want to take the time to find out.  

On 10/5/2019 at 1:55 PM, Colo Cruiser said:

Thats great!  Do you know what type of oysters they were? Also were they raw or Rockefeller type?

On 10/6/2019 at 6:18 AM, Colo Cruiser said:

Shucked/opened oysters on the half shell are displayed on a bed of ice and eaten that way. I like them with a cocktail sauce made with a liberal amount of horseradish and ketchup. Not really sure how to describe the taste but if they are truly fresh  IMO they are very good. As with Escargot they are definitely not for everybody.  Princess has not had these (oysters) in the past because they are difficult to keep fresh during a cruise. I have never seen fresh oysters on the half shell on Princess. Thats why I keep asking were they fresh on the half shell. I hope so. Rockefeller type are baked with cheese etc. I hope they are fresh as I want to have them on my cruise along with my order of escargot.

Oysters a must try at least once.

We recently completed our first cruise on the Royal Princess--a 12-day Los Angeles-Alaska round trip.  We were very excited about visiting the Oceanview Terrace seafood baron the Royal Princess  because from the menu that was available on-line we saw that they offered oysters on the half-shell--a treat that we absolutely love.

On, I believe, the third day of the cruise, we made our way to the Oceanview Terrace to relax prior to dinner.  We found a table and the server came over pretty quickly.

We decided on a bottle of Albarino, and my wife asked the server, "Where do your oysters come from?"

"Texas," came the reply.

"Texas?????  This is a West Coast cruise, and you're serving oysters from Texas?"

I, pretty much, knew what was coming and tried to ameliorate, "September does have an 'R' in it."

To no avail.  I apologize to Gulf Coasters, but my wife will not eat oysters from the Caribbean.  We did find some enjoyable seafood choices, the wine was quite refreshing, and we, in fact, had a good time there.

I should also add that we were able to get Alaska oysters at two different restaurants in Ketchikan and Skagway.

2 hours ago, Sudoku said:

Lobster on the Crown today at lunch buffet.

Just tails I assume?  Were they hot or cold? Was there drawn butter? Lemon? Garlic? Were they a decent size or tiny? Did they disappear quickly and not get refilled? So many questions. I've never seen lobster in the buffet but never seem to find a listing in the Patter either so may well have missed them when they were available.

3 hours ago, XBGuy said:

We recently completed our first cruise on the Royal Princess--a 12-day Los Angeles-Alaska round trip.  We were very excited about visiting the Oceanview Terrace seafood baron the Royal Princess  because from the menu that was available on-line we saw that they offered oysters on the half-shell--a treat that we absolutely love.

On, I believe, the third day of the cruise, we made our way to the Oceanview Terrace to relax prior to dinner.  We found a table and the server came over pretty quickly.

We decided on a bottle of Albarino, and my wife asked the server, "Where do your oysters come from?"

"Texas," came the reply.

"Texas?????  This is a West Coast cruise, and you're serving oysters from Texas?"

I, pretty much, knew what was coming and tried to ameliorate, "September does have an 'R' in it."

To no avail.  I apologize to Gulf Coasters, but my wife will not eat oysters from the Caribbean.  We did find some enjoyable seafood choices, the wine was quite refreshing, and we, in fact, had a good time there.

I should also add that we were able to get Alaska oysters at two different restaurants in Ketchikan and Skagway.

I agree not sure I would be happy about those oysters. 

I was aware of the oysters at OT.

What I was questioning was the supposed offering of oysters in the buffet. Someone posted they were told that the oysters were there but have not had any first hand confirmation if they were actually offered and what type.

It would be great if there are oysters.

On 10/6/2019 at 6:18 AM, Colo Cruiser said:

Shucked/opened oysters on the half shell are displayed on a bed of ice and eaten that way. I like them with a cocktail sauce made with a liberal amount of horseradish and ketchup. Not really sure how to describe the taste but if they are truly fresh  IMO they are very good. As with Escargot they are definitely not for everybody.  Princess has not had these (oysters) in the past because they are difficult to keep fresh during a cruise. I have never seen fresh oysters on the half shell on Princess. Thats why I keep asking were they fresh on the half shell. I hope so. Rockefeller type are baked with cheese etc. I hope they are fresh as I want to have them on my cruise along with my order of escargot.

Oysters a must try at least once.

in total agreement!  I'll add that to me they taste fresh and  like the way you would like to think that the water they came should taste.  

• Like 1

Here are the photos of the lobster and oysters from today's lunch on the Crown. I got there at the end. A couple I know a few people behind me did not get any lobster. A lot of people were taking more than two. I just took photos. They were split lobsters, including the claws. I decided they looked like too much trouble to eat and passed on them.

20191007_155435.jpg

20191007_155447.jpg

1 minute ago, geoherb said:

Here are the photos of the lobster and oysters from today's lunch on the Crown. I got there at the end. A couple I know a few people behind me did not get any lobster. A lot of people were taking more than two. I just took photos. They were split lobsters, including the claws. I decided they looked like too much trouble to eat and passed on them.

20191007_155435.jpg

20191007_155447.jpg

That is awesome! Thanks!  

• 2 weeks later...

I was on the Regal a few years ago and they had the same seafood extravaganza at lunch buffet on one of the last sea days - lobster, giant prawns, oysters, etc.  They were quite secretive about it - I saw them setting up large icebeds and asked what it was for and they wouldn't tell me.  The cruise I was on was a repositioning cruise from NY to FL and I believe the Crown cruise mentioned above is a transatlantic.  My theory is that after a repo, they need to refresh their food supply (menu changes for new itinerary?) and had to get rid of whatever was still leftover in storage.  Anyone experience this on a non-repo cruise?

On 10/6/2019 at 9:02 AM, tere247 said:

I remember on the Regal Princess, they did have the shrimp and oysters the same tune they had the cake/chocolate Extravaganza

They never seem to advertise the chocolate buffet. BUT you will know it if you eat breakfast at the buffet. That is when the chocolate comes out. Not just the chocolate doughnuts, pastries, fruits on a stick you can put under the chocolate fountain, chocolate  parfaits and lots of chocolate cakes and cookies.

Sali

MissP22:  were you on the 10 day Southern Caribbean and those were served on the 2 last sea days?  I will be on the Crown on the 28th, same itinerary (except Aruba instead of Curacao) - I wonder if they'll do the same....

On 10/6/2019 at 7:31 AM, knotheadken said:

Maybe they don't tell you in advance so people will book the specialty restaurants ahead of time. Otherwise the ship might not get the specialty restaurants reservations they need to fill them and then the buffet would be packed.

That's what I think as well. I remember the days when they had carb legs in the buffet on the first night. The ships capacity is too big now to provide expensive all you can eat seafood. Advertising it would result in a lot of disappointed passengers.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2019 at 9:14 AM, Iamcruzin said:

It looks more like lobster parts in the pic. I would't give up the MDR or Specialty for that either.

I believe the picture showed the remaining lobster after being attacked by the crowd.

On the Oct 8 trip the served lobster thermidor one night at the buffet but on the Oct 18 cruise it wasn't there- only oysters on the 1/2 shell. 

• Like 1

On 10/18/2019 at 9:14 AM, Iamcruzin said:

It looks more like lobster parts in the pic. I would't give up the MDR or Specialty for that either.

I have been standing outside the DMV since 7am. It opens at 8am. I guess it would be the same if I wanted a lobster tail at the buffet.

• Haha 1

Just now, Reader0108598 said:

Hope you get in first! Thankful I can do most things online! Good luck!

I’ll be 3rd. The two in front of me must have slept here overnight. I’m surrendering plates so it was either go to DMV or rely on snail mail.  Last year I was here 9 hours waiting to renew my license with real ID.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

I’ll be 3rd. The two in front of me must have slept here overnight. I’m surrendering plates so it was either go to DMV or rely on snail mail.  Last year I was here 9 hours waiting to renew my license with real ID.

We sold one of our cars we were told we did not have to turn the plate in!  Still sitting in a cabinet!

Either way DMV is a PITA

Edited by Reader0108598

On 10/17/2019 at 1:40 PM, dns20 said:

I was on the Regal a few years ago and they had the same seafood extravaganza at lunch buffet on one of the last sea days - lobster, giant prawns, oysters, etc.  They were quite secretive about it - I saw them setting up large icebeds and asked what it was for and they wouldn't tell me.  The cruise I was on was a repositioning cruise from NY to FL and I believe the Crown cruise mentioned above is a transatlantic.  My theory is that after a repo, they need to refresh their food supply (menu changes for new itinerary?) and had to get rid of whatever was still leftover in storage.  Anyone experience this on a non-repo cruise?

Royal 2018 Christmas Cruise Last day lunch as well

On 10/18/2019 at 7:41 AM, dns20 said:

MissP22:  were you on the 10 day Southern Caribbean and those were served on the 2 last sea days?  I will be on the Crown on the 28th, same itinerary (except Aruba instead of Curacao) - I wonder if they'll do the same....

It's hard to say. They had cold lobster on the crossing for lunch, they had hot lobster thermidor on the Oct 8th sailing for dinner and nothing for the Oct 18 sailing.

Let us know about the 28th.