WOW Bands

We will be on Anthem of the Seas in November and I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons of the WOW band I'm reading about.  I realize the cannot be used to disembark the ship.   In particular, I was wondering if these bands waterproof.   Also, is it the type of band that is put on and cannot be taken off?   I still like to dress for dinner and I don't want to be stuck with a band, but it might be useful during the day.

1 minute ago, barb1256 said:

In particular, I was wondering if these bands waterproof. 

Yes.

1 minute ago, barb1256 said:

Also, is it the type of band that is put on and cannot be taken off?  

It goes on and off like a watch.

46 minutes ago, barb1256 said:

We will be on Anthem of the Seas in November and I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons of the WOW band I'm reading about.  I realize the cannot be used to disembark the ship.   In particular, I was wondering if these bands waterproof.   Also, is it the type of band that is put on and cannot be taken off?   I still like to dress for dinner and I don't want to be stuck with a band, but it might be useful during the day.

Same here.  We will be on Harmony and wondering about the usefulness of them.  We have 3 kids, who will be 15, 13, and 6 at the time.  Thinking they might be good for the kids so that they can’t lose them as easily as a card.  Curious if the WOW band can be used as an ID for the little one when she’s in AO (not sure if they have a band reader in AO fir this purpose).  

• Like 1

I purchased a band on Anthem this year.  They are like a watch band.  I am going to bring the band on the Harmony next month and see if they can update it to my new cruise.  I liked the band, don't have to wear a lanyard all the time.  Not sure if it is water proof or if they provide them to kids.

5 hours ago, barb1256 said:

They are just a piece of rubber. Gets hot and sweaty quickly. You still need to remove them at many bars and locations you need to swipe. 

image.png.ebdffcf4d9569c88b27ee5bac668e83e.png

image.png.26c1082ff3aee9a19990857c0b10807f.png

I love mine.  It doesn't make me "sweaty".  It is waterproof.  It does everything that your seapass does except ding you on and off the ship.  I love being "hands free".  No digging around for my seapass card.  (I DO NOT WEAR lanyards 😝)

• Like 3

Last time on anthem, nov 18...they would not exchange my lanyard. You have to purchase a new one. It is done at a desk in boleros. 

I believe most ships have movable scanners, but if sitting by the pool and ordering a drink from a waiter, they have to come off. 

Bring a permanent marker to distinguish them from your roomate. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, GTO-Girl said:

We were told on our last cruise on the Harmony we could bring our WOW bands on our next cruise and they would reprogram them.

Not sure if that’s true as we have not sailed again yet....

I've read here that they are stopping the practice of re-using WOW bands.  We shall see if this turns out to be a fleetwide practice.

1 hour ago, Host Clarea said:

I've read here that they are stopping the practice of re-using WOW bands.  We shall see if this turns out to be a fleetwide practice.

When we were on Symphony in July our Wow bands had our Muster station on it and they could not re-use old ones.  Unless you have the same muster station.

We had a choice of 2 colours, black or white.

22 hours ago, A2Mich said:

Same here.  We will be on Harmony and wondering about the usefulness of them.  We have 3 kids, who will be 15, 13, and 6 at the time.  Thinking they might be good for the kids so that they can’t lose them as easily as a card.  Curious if the WOW band can be used as an ID for the little one when she’s in AO (not sure if they have a band reader in AO fir this purpose).  

You still have to have your sea pass card with your name on to pick up at AO. 

• Like 1

My 10 year old broke his the first day he had it.  They replaced it for him, but the next one fell apart too.  I don't know why he had such a hard time with it as he has no problem wearing a watch.   My wife liked hers.  We got used to going up to the bar for them to swipe it as opposed to taking it off all of the time.  

Ovation still exchanges them for free.  They did in May and September 2019.  Symphony did too back in 2018, no cost.

Only Anthem has been stingy and will only re-coded an existing Wow band if the muster station matches old vs. new.  If the muster doesn't match on Anthem, $5 for a new one.  

I took an old Anthem Wow band onto Symphony where they traded it at no cost for a new Wow band that has no muster station.  When I go onto Anthem next I plan to re-use that one since they *should* re-coded it without a fee.   

EDIT - come to think of it I'm in a JS so I should get a new Anthem Wow band for free.

Edited by twangster

We had them two weeks ago on Harmony as we were in suite and they were provided.  I tried it, didn't like it all that much.  I think it would be great if you spend a lot of time at the pool, on the slides, zip lines, etc.  I don't.  I don't wear a lanyard.  I simply  have a small card holder and carry my SeaPass in it.  It's what I'm used to I guess.  I found the WOW Band annoyed me.  Personal preference.  If you could use it to get off the ship at Coco Cay or Labadee, then that might be worth it to me.  But you still need your SeaPass to get off the ship.  

I find them easier than carrying the sea pass, unless I'm leaving the ship... some ships have them color coordinated to match your muster station so you don't have a choice of color..

8 hours ago, Host Star said:

I find them easier than carrying the sea pass, unless I'm leaving the ship... some ships have them color coordinated to match your muster station so you don't have a choice of color..

On Allure, we had no choice, and muster station was on them (5 years ago?).  On symphony, we could pick from three colors, and no muster station on them (this year).

28 minutes ago, vacationlover_mn said:

On Allure, we had no choice, and muster station was on them (5 years ago?).  On symphony, we could pick from three colors, and no muster station on them (this year).

Interesting! When we were on Symphony  3 weeks ago, you couldn't pick and they had the muster station on them.

1 hour ago, vacationlover_mn said:

That IS interesting!

Definitely makes you wonder what the story is because you hear variously that Royal's moving *towards* having the muster station bands and *away* from having the muster station bands. I think there might have been one or two stations where they had multiple colors available (perhaps from previous sailings?) but our muster station only had the black ones available.