Family in Mariner Suite

jashah

I was planing on booking side-by-side Concierge E suites on the SS Mariner for my family of 4.  I received an (unexpected) call from a Regent agent today and when we were talking he mentioned that a Mariner Suite would work for us.  He said they allow a rollaway in the suite so my wife and I could take the bedroom and one child would be on the pullout sofa and the other on the rollaway.  He assured me that the rollaway is very comfortable.  With the discount offered for children sharing a room with adults, the price for the Mariner Suite is $2,000 more than two Concierge E suites.

Has anyone ever traveled in a similar setup?  When the kids were younger, sofa beds and rollaways were fine but I worry if this may not be the best setup for (young) teenagers.  Any experience with the sofa beds and/or rollaways on Regent?  Is an extra $2,000 worth it for the Mariner Suite?

Thanks

Plus - and I just thought of this - taking two side-by-side suites means you are giving your children "their" space.  This, IMO, is important for teens.  Since there are no rowdy parties or discos for teens on the Regent ships they are unlikely to come to any harm!!

10 hours ago, jashah said:

I was planing on booking side-by-side Concierge E suites on the SS Mariner for my family of 4.  I received an (unexpected) call from a Regent agent today and when we were talking he mentioned that a Mariner Suite would work for us.  He said they allow a rollaway in the suite so my wife and I could take the bedroom and one child would be on the pullout sofa and the other on the rollaway.  He assured me that the rollaway is very comfortable.  With the discount offered for children sharing a room with adults, the price for the Mariner Suite is $2,000 more than two Concierge E suites.

Has anyone ever traveled in a similar setup?  When the kids were younger, sofa beds and rollaways were fine but I worry if this may not be the best setup for (young) teenagers.  Any experience with the sofa beds and/or rollaways on Regent?  Is an extra $2,000 worth it for the Mariner Suite?

Thanks

THe rollaways are horrible.  We had our daughter with us in our room and she had two mattresses plus an egg crate and could still feel the middle bar!  Don’t know about sofa bed.

Jackie - Master Suite on the Mariner indeed does have two bedrooms - but they have been offered an upsell from two suites together to a Mariner Suite for an additional $2k  Personally I do not think this is a good idea...  Master Suite would work perfectly but will cost a lot more.

Edited by Hambagahle

29 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

Jackie - Master Suite on the Mariner indeed does have two bedrooms - but they have been offered an upsell from two suites together to a Mariner Suite for an additional $2k  Personally I do not think this is a good idea...  Master Suite would work perfectly but will cost a lot more.

Gerry, thank you for the explanation. IMO, the suite is too small but does have an extra half bath. 

Thanks for all the comments.  We will stick with the two adjacent suites.

To clarify, they said to book one adult and one child in each room own paper but can have sleeping arrangements any way we like.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jashah said:

Thanks for all the comments.  We will stick with the two adjacent suites.

To clarify, they said to book one adult and one child in each room own paper but can have sleeping arrangements any way we like.

FWIW, the one time we brought our daughters with us we booked three PH cabins - one for us, one for the girls, and one for the in-laws.  We figured having adults flanking the girls would provide an adequate buffer in case the kids were up late watching movies or anything.

Yes, we had to book one each adult/kid in our suites and just shift the girls over but no one seemed to mind.  We also read the girls the riot act and let the stewards know to let us know if they had any problems whatsoever.  We had no issues at all.

I also recommend the adjacent suites.

We did 2 adjacent concierge suites with our boys as well. We considered a large named suite but we were going to use Regent air and in the large suite only the 2 adults get the included air. That along with the very substantial discount we received for the 2 suites it was more economical AND I think we had more space  (at least separate space).

Just to be clear, Mariner regular suites are only 256 sq. ft. with a 49 sq. ft. balcony while the Mariner suites are 650 sq. ft. with a 89 sq. ft. balcony.  Mariner suites are dramatically nicer and more spacious.  

Also, for the record, we would have never left our younger teenage children in their own suite.  For 16-18 years olds, I would still want to know where they were and would not go to sleep if they were still out and about.  

The TS's daughter is definitely old enough to stay in her own suite but isn't there a "thing" about double occupancy or, does the special offer allow for your daughter to stay in her own suite without paying for a second person?  This is a rather unusual question/situation on the Regent board.  And, after reading the description for the Mariner suite, there is room for a 3rd person.  

Given the research I just did, I would book the Mariner suite.  It is one of our favorite suites on the ship.  However, my DH would not stay in a regular suite under any circumstances.  It is difficult for two people to pass each other at the foot of the bed due to lack of space.

And just to be more clear, the TS has 2 children. Not one. And he mentioned that his children are young teenagers. 

As as I mentioned, we booked adjacent suites, but we did not allow our boys to stay in their suite alone. My dh and I split up. Now that my oldest is a college student and the younger right behind we would be able to if needed. And before any slights about college students- he is at a top 10 school, thriving and a model citizen. 

• Like 2

Another thing you can do - on the old ships anyway - is to ask to have the balcony divider removed between the cabins. That would give you easier access to both cabins. The dividers swing open - that is how the crew do what needs to be done on the balconies -  but can be removed as well.

Peggy

Edited by xrvlcruiser
  • Like 3

For my 70th birthday celebration, we took our family on a cruise. Lots of grandchildren. We had 11 cabins, all balconies, in one row on the ship. Children over 12 years old,  shared their cabin with either a older sibling or older cousin.

Younger grandchildren were with their parents.. It was wonderful. All was great. Children were all well behaved. Lots of private space for everyone!
Sheila

Edited by Bellaggio Cruisers
  • Like 3