Seasickness Medication

smile145

Tiredness or sleepiness is a possible side effect, but this varies greatly from person to person. To avoid it (and since you only need to take it once a day), I just take it at bed time. So it's never been a problem for me. Since I know I'm highly susceptible to motion sickness I start taking it the night before departure, and continue each night.. I haven't had a problem drinking alcohol while taking it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, smile145 said:

I am planning to bring Bonine.  If you take this, does it make you tired?  Also do you start it the day of the cruise or before?  Anyone have any issues drinking alcohol with the medication?

It sounds like it will be your first cruise. If it is. Give yourself time and see if you get sea sick. The small patch works for many and no problems with drinking. Although drinking and a rough sea can bring on seasickness. I have given advise on how to beat it. Just check out other posts that have asked the same question.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

It sounds like it will be your first cruise. If it is. Give yourself time and see if you get sea sick. The small patch works for many and no problems with drinking. Although drinking and a rough sea can bring on seasickness. I have given advise on how to beat it. Just check out other posts that have asked the same question.

Thanks.  It’s not my first cruise but I haven’t encountered rough seas before.  The cruise before mine (this week and I go next week) is having incredibly rough seas and I want to be prepared.

14 minutes ago, smile145 said:

Thanks.  It’s not my first cruise but I haven’t encountered rough seas before.  The cruise before mine (this week and I go next week) is having incredibly rough seas and I want to be prepared.

A very rough sea may not cause you any problems. it is the rocking motion that can do it. With a very rough sea the ship is moving in every direction and you will loose your balance if not very careful. Your mind can handle that but not the slow rocking back and forth. Anyhow. if you have not been sick before. You may not be this time. Happy cursing.

4 hours ago, smile145 said:

I am planning to bring Bonine.  If you take this, does it make you tired?  Also do you start it the day of the cruise or before?  Anyone have any issues drinking alcohol with the medication?

On  my 1st cruise, I  found out, that  I am prone to sea sickness. (And this was  on the Inside Passsage, going south from Whittier-not even the "open seas"). I did a lot of research, and found out what worked for me. I took a bonine, each morning and evening, starting the day before the cruise. I also took ginger  capsules, the same way.  I never got sick again.Bonine did not make me sleepy, and I  could still drink adult beverages.Smooth sailings!

10 hours ago, smile145 said:

If I take Bonine I will fall asleep at dinner and at the evening show.Both tend to be quite embarrassing. A travel agent told me that he takes Ginger pills.I tried it for the last cruise and it worked. I take 2 pills a day with 8 ounces of water beginning 3 days prior to the cruise and the first day of the cruise.

there a quite a few natural remedies. 

Eat:

Candied ginger (even drink ginger ale)

green apple

and make sure you eat something, no empty stomach

avoid:

lots of fluids

alcohol

for position, low mid ship would be the best. And if possible keep an eye on horizon.

Good luck!

• Like 1

On 10/12/2019 at 11:45 AM, mom says said:

Tiredness or sleepiness is a possible side effect, but this varies greatly from person to person. To avoid it (and since you only need to take it once a day), I just take it at bed time. So it's never been a problem for me. Since I know I'm highly susceptible to motion sickness I start taking it the night before departure, and continue each night.. I haven't had a problem drinking alcohol while taking it.

That's exactly what I do; if it's going to make me sleepy, I'm in bed anyway!  I like the fact that I can have a glass of wine or a cocktail (or two) without it making me feel like a zombie.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

I am extremely prone to motion sickness - cars, trains, boats, amusement rides, etc

What works best for me is Bonine (generic:  Meclizine HCL).  Take it the night before and it lasts up to 24 hours.  While everyone is different, this does not make me sleepy.  Dramamine (generic: Dimenhydrinate HCL) makes me sleepy and only lasts me around 6 hours.  Interesting fact - Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) is composed of Dimenhydrinate and a stimulant

Hey I thought I would share a natural product that has worked well for me, and my daughters... Motioneaze

its a liquid that you apply behind your ears, it has no side effects like all the other meds. It comes in a very small glass vile, so it fits well in a small pocket. You can do a google search and find it easily to purchase, I have also bought it at a local health store and once on a cruise ship. An other thing that helps is ginger. Remember sweets amplify motion and sea sickness, and salt helps, also I find I get sick more often on a empty stomach. 

I wouldn't take alcohol with any of the sea sickness pills. I wouldn't take even a drop when I feel sea sick.

Try to keep your belly full with dry and starchy food. Crackers and cheese usually do the trick.

Avoid spices and a lot of caffeine and liquid.

Drink Ginger Ale and take some ginger pills.

Green apples will do too.

Last resort take a pill and go lie down for few hours.

Remember not to starve. It's important you have a full belly with the right stuff to keep you going.

On 10/17/2019 at 2:19 PM, Kate P.C said:

I wouldn't take alcohol with any of the sea sickness pills. I wouldn't take even a drop when I feel sea sick.

Try to keep your belly full with dry and starchy food. Crackers and cheese usually do the trick.

Avoid spices and a lot of caffeine and liquid.

Drink Ginger Ale and take some ginger pills.

Green apples will do too.

Last resort take a pill and go lie down for few hours.

Remember not to starve. It's important you have a full belly with the right stuff to keep you going.

Green apples never worked for me.

On 10/12/2019 at 7:35 PM, lenquixote66 said:

If I take Bonine I will fall asleep at dinner and at the evening show.Both tend to be quite embarrassing. A travel agent told me that he takes Ginger pills.I tried it for the last cruise and it worked. I take 2 pills a day with 8 ounces of water beginning 3 days prior to the cruise and the first day of the cruise.

Bonine wiped me out. I was so drowsy I took a nap in the morning and a nap in the afternoon. I spent the first day at sea sleeping. I stopped taking it and was fine without. 

I get woozy if I turn to quickly in my office chair so I thought for sure I would get sea sick but I barely felt the ship moving. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/21/2019 at 2:29 PM, vacationut said:

Bonine wiped me out. I was so drowsy I took a nap in the morning and a nap in the afternoon. I spent the first day at sea sleeping. I stopped taking it and was fine without. 

I get woozy if I turn to quickly in my office chair so I thought for sure I would get sea sick but I barely felt the ship moving. 

I got sick this time from taking ginger,I am going back to Bonine.

• 4 weeks later...

I wouldn't take my Bonine before bed time since it doesn't really help then. I go to sleep even without taking it. The problem is when I am up and the seas are rough during the day. No point taking it before bed time. I find that Bonine makes me less drowsy then Dramamine, but I will try all other natural remedies and tricks before taking the pills.

39 minutes ago, Kate P.C said:

I wouldn't take my Bonine before bed time since it doesn't really help then. I go to sleep even without taking it. The problem is when I am up and the seas are rough during the day. No point taking it before bed time. I find that Bonine makes me less drowsy then Dramamine, but I will try all other natural remedies and tricks before taking the pills.

Bonine's usual dosage is once every 24 hours ( or once every 12 hours with a split dose).  So no reason to think it wouldn't still be working in the morning if taken at bedtime.

• Like 2