Voyager of the Seas gets hull painted blue! New livery for all RCI ships?

Fairsky84

I board the Voyager tomorrow, Nov 1 in Singapore. Will let you know how she looks. Haven’t been on her since 2000. Just ended a 24 day TP 2 days ago, and thought since I was over here, I would squeeze in a few more ports.

Oh this is just a really sad.  It’s nice to have a unique look so you can easily distinguish one cruise line from another.  But this color scheme looks blah and cheap (although Celebrity dark blue is even worse).  And the mis-matched paint?...that’s just embarrassing.

Norwegian ships are by far the most fun paint-job to look at in port.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, styxfire said:

Norwegian ships are by far the most fun paint-job to look at in port.

IMO they have the ugliest paint jobs of all the cruise lines.  Sure they are painted by the likes of Peter Max and Guy Harvey, etc... but I think it looks super cheesy painted on the side of a cruise ship.  Just my opinion and tastes of course.  I'm sure there are those that love that look.  Not me.  The ships look like toys, not classy.

Dan

• Like 3

2 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

IMO they have the ugliest paint jobs of all the cruise lines.  Sure they are painted by the likes of Peter Max and Guy Harvey, etc... but I think it looks super cheesy painted on the side of a cruise ship.  Just my opinion and tastes of course.  I'm sure there are those that love that look.  Not me.  The ships look like toys, not classy.

Dan

And Aida isn't far behind in looking somewhat less than classy.

On 10/15/2019 at 12:44 PM, Fairsky84 said:

Yes, dark hulls do hide smudges and rust better but there’s a reason warm-weather cruise ships have traditionally had white hulls. The white reflects the sunlight which keeps the ship’s interior cooler which requires less energy for air conditioning. It saves fuel and money. It’s also why cold-weather liners which crossed the North Atlantic had black or dark hulls. They absorbed the light to help heat the ship’s interior. 

When Cunard would redeploy their liners to cruise in the Caribbean, for example, they would often repaint the ships’ hulls white for this reason. See here for more about this:

https://www.technology.org/2018/07/06/why-most-cruise-ships-and-luxury-yachts-are-white-while-container-ships-are-all-kinds-of-colours/

Very interesting, and I really mean it. 

On 10/15/2019 at 5:00 AM, Ethanol95 said:

Why take the perfect white pearl look away. It made it classy. Now its just like someone made a mistake and decided to completely cover it up with blue (a terrible shade of blue i might add). Couldn't they at least have chosen a more appealing turquoise-ish blue..

Looks "tacky" like a economy line!

23 hours ago, crzndeb said:

In Malacca, Malaysia today. I like it. Looks better up close.

483C1203-F2C9-4013-8F07-19D5F6D0FC7A.jpeg

IMO it really needs some contrasting trim color at the top of the blue.  And also some of the same blue/contrast color scheme near the top of the ship.

I dunno, it just looks cobbled together, to me.  The all-white ships looked sleeker.

• Like 1

The picture of the Edge looks gorgeous!  I suspect it's partly because the angle/light reflection is causing the windows to shine as 2 different colors of blue, which along with the blue hull, makes a nice contrasting mix of blue shades.  Also, the Edge lifeboats fit nicely into the color scheme.  Royal's yellow boats don't look good w/ the new light-blue hull, IMO.

I guess it matters not-at-all when I'm on the ship, since I can't view it then!

• 4 weeks later...

Voyager of the Seas in Sydney.jpg

Royal Caribbean International’s Voyager of the Seas arrived in Sydney Harbour on Saturday after a $97m amplification for her seventh homeporting season Down Under.

41-day makeover

It took 41 days and more than 2,200 crew and tradespeople to upgrade Voyager of the Seas, which spent her first season in Australia in 2012. 

Her hull has been painted ‘quantum blue’ at the suggestion of an Australian cruise passenger.

Ninja Warriors

She was welcomed by water cannons and television’s Australian Ninja Warriors Josh O’Sullivan and Bryson Klein came on board to race on the high-speed waterslides of The Perfect Storm. They also took on the two rock-climbing walls to see who could ring the bell first.

There are also glow-in-the-dark laser tag face-offs and revamped facilities for children and teens in the new-look Voyager.

Voyager will operate 18 itineraries around the South Pacific, Queensland and Tasmania before departing Sydney on April 19 on a repositioning voyage to Asia.