World Series inboard Insignia?

3rd girl of 5

Consider asking Guests Services on your ship. From several thousand miles away we really can only guess. Past history does not guarantee future performance.

Seems like a couple of years ago we got tape delay not live. Won’ Predict current plan.

Edited by pinotlover

Some years ago when the Giants won the Superbowl we couldn't see the game live but we DID see it the next day on "tape delay" in our rooms.  We were on board at the time ... I think this might have been on our 2008 Australia cruise.

Since then I've seen various reports ... you might get them, you might not.  Why not have your TA ask the ship -- or you call Oceania yourself to see if you get an answer?  It couldn't hurt ...

Mura

1 minute ago, PaulMCO said:

Oceania is cheap.  It is available, they just have to pay for it.

More accurately, they have decide which bangs to buy with their entertainment bucks..

Not everyone cares about baseball, and another large segment  think that watching TV of any kind while  on a cruise is a waste of valuable time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StanandJim said:

More accurately, they have decide which bangs to buy with their entertainment bucks..

Not everyone cares about baseball, and another large segment  think that watching TV of any kind while  on a cruise is a waste of valuable time.

You really have to be kidding.   Entertainment on O -- come on..  O has the worst entertainment of most Cruise lines..  Even most of the cheerleaders on this board would agree.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PaulMCO said:

You really have to be kidding.   Entertainment on O -- come on..  O has the worst entertainment of most Cruise lines..  Even most of the cheerleaders on this board would agree.

The entertainment is perfectly fine for our needs of having an hours diversion after a lovely leisurely dinner, and because Oceania suits us  in so many other ways, we are not anxious to see an uptick in the quality or the expense associated with more or better entertainment.

YMMV, but in our experience, they are over amplifying the shows already just to keep the punters awake in their seats.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

Paul

I will withhold judgment until after my 1st Crystal cruise  but so far it does not look promising

Headline Entertainers

Jamila Ajibade, Vocalist 
Mark Haslam, Magician 
Gary Hunter, Ventriloquist 
John Joseph, Comedian 
Cory Kahaney, Comedian

There is also the very distinct possibility that it’s not a one size fits all ships answer.

Might the answer to the OP’s question depend upon the location of the ship? Might the answer vary for a ship in a time zone where people would be awake versus say the Med where the game might start a 2:00 in the morning and perhaps no one awake?

Why would the OP believe everything is “ one size fits all”? Why did the OP give absolutely no details of that cruise so to base an answer?

48 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

There is also the very distinct possibility that it’s not a one size fits all ships answer.

Might the answer to the OP’s question depend upon the location of the ship? Might the answer vary for a ship in a time zone where people would be awake versus say the Med where the game might start a 2:00 in the morning and perhaps no one awake?

Why would the OP believe everything is “ one size fits all”? Why did the OP give absolutely no details of that cruise so to base an answer?

There is no one size fits all -- if the game is on at midnight if the OP wants to watch the Nationals it should be made available.

If I were NFL fan I would want to see the Super bowl live..

I do know on other Cruise lines they have the MLB playoffs available, plus the regular CBS and Fox feeds of the Sunday NFL games.  They are available on the Satellite.   It is just that O is too cheap to buy them...

IME

They have shown the world cup (soccer)

Super bowl

Have not been on during  World series  so cannot say

In any case if it is important  to you I would not book a cruise during the finals

just in case  cruise lines do not show the finals

JMO

We had the Super Bowl broadcast live on the Insignia, this past February, into the Insignia Lounge and Martini's Lounge.

They did it very nicely...we had a "Superbowl Party", with hot dogs, chips, popcorn, etc.  set up near the bar.   The lounge was set up with opposing fans on opposite sides of the room, and all were encouraged to wear their 'team colors'...if they had them.

My only complaint...and this is really funny...we did not get to see the touted Super Bowl commercial's...

Every time there was a commercial break, all we saw was a miserable promo for the network, over and over throughout....😞

I think this is a rehash of previous threads but where does it stop? All major sporting events around the world? The finals of all the major Australian leagues? On huge ships it probably makes economic sense but on smaller ships, when I attended such showings previously only a very small number of people attend..

I get your point BUT this is a U.S. company which largely U.S. passengers -- although the passenger complement is more international these days than it was in the beginning.  Certainly they can't broadcast every international sports event very easily!

I am one who is more interested in baseball than football (speaking to U.S. passengers here) but I can see where this particular cruise COULD have many interested in the World Series given the timing.

I agree with Lyn and Stan that if it's really important to the OPs to see the Series, maybe another cruise would be better.

I personally was very happy to watch the Super Bowl back in 2008 on my cabin TV ... That was a rerun but I knew my team had won ...

Mura

Well, given that I posted on the Insignia page and said that I was cruising during the World Series, that is only one cruise and I didn’t realize I would horribly offend someone by not spelling it out.  It is the cruise that was supposed to be to Cuba and is now floating around the Caribbean.  I didn’t really expect it to be specially broadcast, just was wondering if it would be available on the televisions.

And as far as why would I book during the World Series if I care-  since this was supposed to be a cruise to Cuba, we booked this 15 months ago and had NO idea that the Nationals would be in the World Series.  I am not enough of a baseball fan to know that I booked exactly during the World Series, and if the Nats weren’t playing, I wouldn’t be watching now.

Edited by 3rd girl of 5
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, 3rd girl of 5 said:

And as far as why would I book during the World Series if I care-  since this was supposed to be a cruise to Cuba, we booked this 15 months ago and had NO idea that the Nationals would be in the World Series.  I am not enough of a baseball fan to know that I booked exactly during the World Series, and if the Nats weren’t playing, I wouldn’t be watching now.

Your post was valid and I would have the same question if my team was going to be in the World Series and I had your cruise booked.

You clearly stated in the original post that it seemed like a minor miracle that the Nationals made it to the World Series. I don't understand why posters on here would question why you booked the cruise for during this time if the WS was so important to you.

Some posters in this particular forum seem intent on jumping to question or belittle the poster or their question instead of offering constructive advice.

• Like 2

We’re on Insignia right now, and there are no games broadcast on board.  We check the scores online.  As to entertainment, it’s disappointing.  We have a ventriloquist for a few nights - nothing that makes me go - ooh, let’s go see that!  Fortunately, we’re happy with a couple of good books for entertainment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YoPhilly said:

We’re on Insignia right now, and there are no games broadcast on board.  We check the scores online.  As to entertainment, it’s disappointing.  We have a ventriloquist for a few nights - nothing that makes me go - ooh, let’s go see that!  Fortunately, we’re happy with a couple of good books for entertainment.

Thanks for that info- our cruise is next week so I will pack a few more books.

I'm sorry, but I disagree with your point, entirely.

I'm fairly certain that most of us don't care what other people choose to watch on television.

What we DO care about, and have a certain financial stake in, is how the Cruise Line allocates its' Entertainment Budget.  

For the kind of money that they spend on getting a World Series or a Super Bowl, Oceania could have World Class artists performing live in their Showrooms, or add a Beluga Caviar station in the Terrace. 

Why is Sports programming a better idea?

Here is another option:  We were on Riviera when the MLB play-offs started.  Our friends were with us and they are rabid Yankee fans.  They bought the upgraded internet package ($10/day) and were fairly successful in streaming the games to their IPad.  

5 hours ago, StanandJim said:

I'm sorry, but I disagree with your point, entirely.

I'm fairly certain that most of us don't care what other people choose to watch on television.

What we DO care about, and have a certain financial stake in, is how the Cruise Line allocates its' Entertainment Budget.  

For the kind of money that they spend on getting a World Series or a Super Bowl, Oceania could have World Class artists performing live in their Showrooms, or add a Beluga Caviar station in the Terrace. 

Why is Sports programming a better idea?

No matter what Oceania would decide to spend this "kind of money" on- whether it is a sports package, Beluga caviar, or "World Class artists", someone would not be happy. Not everyone likes caviar, your idea of a great entertainer might not be my cup of tea, and as has been discussed, there are a lot of sports and some like one, some like none. 

I would like better entertainment, as magicians are akin to clowns in my book, and a lot of comedians are just not funny. And I am super picky about vocal entertainment also! I am not expecting either Broadway or Las Vegas entertainment on our next cruise, believe me!

But Oceania has not asked my opinion on this topic, so if there are people eating caviar, or watching sports or enjoying the shows, that is fine with me!

• Like 1