Medical needs

JjC81

We are doing alaska land/sea next August- royal princess. My son is on medical formula, which once opened needs to be refrigerated. This will be ok in our room but on land and excursions we would need an ice pack. 

Is there anywhere we could freeze one? Medical area? Is there a freezer in the cabin mini fridges? 

3 minutes ago, jennybenny said:

You should contact Princess and speak to someone to ensure the medical need is met. I'm not sure the fridge in the cabin will be cold enough, but it could be. 

I got the email today. I've emailed dietary and now need to email medical. Wasnt sure if anyone had experience.

I thought of a lot but not that lol

I don't remember seeing any freezer in the cabin fridges. Certainly not one large enough to freeze an ice pack. I normally lay soda cans on their side on the top shelf, the normal freezer area in a small fridge, and they do not freeze. As a note while on board I would keep an ice bucket inside the fridge. This helps keep the fridge colder. Some cabin fridges are not that cold. Also make sure the vent is not blocked with the cabins curtains or other items.

Edited by skynight
  • Like 1

When my brother cruised with us, he kept a "blue ice" ice pack in the fridge.  It did not freeze, but it was cold enough that it kept a small cooler cold in temperate temperatures during an all-day excursion.

We did not ask if we could make arrangements to freeze the blue ice elsewhere, but I would think that with all of the insulin-dependent diabetics cruising, there have to be arrangements that can be made!

45 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

How about you stop at walmart or somewhere  any buy small ice cooler or ice chest. Keep it with you for entire trip. 

There are restrictions on the size of cooler with exceptions that can be taken on board.

See https://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/prepare.jsp

under the "Prohibited Items" section:

"Coolers - only coolers approximately 12 x 12 x 12 in size (holds 6-12 cans of non-alcoholic beverages) are allowed. Guests carrying larger sizes will be directed to return them to their vehicle. If the guest is without a vehicle, the cooler will be destroyed in the same manner as other prohibited items. Exception: if the cooler is larger and contains baby food/formula, kosher food/special diet food or medication - these must be hand-carried. Coolers cannot be accepted as checked baggage."

You will still need to ask for ice from your steward.

Make sure you email medical and let them know your needs.

10 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

Some ships have a fridge/freezer available at Guest Services or the Medical Center for medical stuff. But, start with special needs.

They might. The cabin absolutely will not have a freezer....at least in my last 40 cruises. And the temperature of the refrigerator varies from room temperature to barely cold. The OP needs to do as he/she is doing and contact someone at Princess, and be sure to get their name and a confirmation email from them.