Ocean Cay~ The Final Countdown

BermudaBound2014

For those of us following ocean cay, it's been a long time coming. First set to open in 2016, postponed to 2018, then postponed again until November 9, 2019. Since we are within the 3 week window until the island is set to welcome it's first visitors; I suspect we will start to see more and more photos leaked. This is not my photo, but it appears this photo was taken October 15, 2019 but don't hold me to that date, it's just my best guess.,

image.png.2c0ef320e9def2ee0c617fa7d442b784.png

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 2

Im so excited for this island to officially open. I also think I am going to really enjoy this final stretch too!! 3 weeks and counting- I wonder how much info will leak? And then it will certainly be in a state of flux for several months. What will change? It will be fun to look back on this in 5 years 🙂

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Im so excited for this island to officially open. I also think I am going to really enjoy this final stretch too!! 3 weeks and counting- I wonder how much info will leak? And then it will certainly be in a state of flux for several months. What will change? It will be fun to look back on this in 5 years 🙂

I am also on a facebook site that is for Ocean Cay.  Lots of pics on there.  Lots of people wondering what the regular cabanas and yacht club cabanas will look like.  Will they be air conditioned?  Will they have a tv in them?  I can't wait to hear all of it.  Island looks beautiful!

• Like 1

We're on the repo sailing and will be the first ship to call on Ocean Caye. We've been asked to take part in the ribbon cutting ceremony. Pretty darn excited to be of the first passengers to step foot on the island.

Ben

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

You are on a private island in hopefully warm waters and weather.  Why on earth would one want to have a tv available in a cabana?

Because the ship is there all day into late evening.  I would enjoy watching a movie.  Different strokes for different folks.  And since the cabanas on NCL's private island have tv's in them I must not be the only person that would enjoy one.  

30 minutes ago, CUontheC said:

Because the ship is there all day into late evening.  I would enjoy watching a movie.  Different strokes for different folks.  And since the cabanas on NCL's private island have tv's in them I must not be the only person that would enjoy one.  

"Different strokes for different folks" thinking is probably correct thinking regarding the tv issue in a cabana.  If the Meraviglia's tv systems has the interactive options that most recent ships do, there will be so many movies to view that one could not view them all during a 7 day cruise.  

I recognize that you view the availability of a tv in a cabana to be a desirable amenity.  The reason you cruise seems different as to why I cruise.  If I want to watch a movie, my cable subscription at home provides me with a plethora of choices.

Please, enjoy your cruise with whatever amenities you most enjoy.  Enjoying one's cruise is why we all keep returning!  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

"Different strokes for different folks" thinking is probably correct thinking regarding the tv issue in a cabana.  If the Meraviglia's tv systems has the interactive options that most recent ships do, there will be so many movies to view that one could not view them all during a 7 day cruise.  

I recognize that you view the availability of a tv in a cabana to be a desirable amenity.  The reason you cruise seems different as to why I cruise.  If I want to watch a movie, my cable subscription at home provides me with a plethora of choices.

Please, enjoy your cruise with whatever amenities you most enjoy.  Enjoying one's cruise is why we all keep returning!  

Exactly....you as well

• Like 2

I'm sure everyone has seen this map, but looking at the map and then the Arial taken last week, does it look to you like they have got any work done on the seakers buffet area? I know all the photos of the colorful buildings are at the pier area, I saw nothing at the buffet. Am I missing something?

image.png.561d69fa0d013e10d04676d3d7f96eea.png

image.png.4d72225dc67ea1a5fa7bd803a15a2692.png

5 hours ago, KSSS2013 said:

We're pretty excited about going there on November 15th. It looks like it won't be completed, but at least there's plenty of beach space!

You will have to let us know how you liked it.  We are going in February 2020 and so looking forward to it.  Have a wonderful time!!

6 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I'm sure everyone has seen this map, but looking at the map and then the Arial taken last week, does it look to you like they have got any work done on the seakers buffet area? I know all the photos of the colorful buildings are at the pier area, I saw nothing at the buffet. Am I missing something?

image.png.561d69fa0d013e10d04676d3d7f96eea.png

image.png.4d72225dc67ea1a5fa7bd803a15a2692.png

Not sure...can't really tell.  Hopefully it will be competed soon enough for the people arriving in November.  

For the person looking for the buffet... I agree, it doesn't seem to be built yet. The only parts of the island seem to be near completion is the initial stretch from where the ship docks to the water sports launches down the right side of the island (from the ship's dock). The other part is the part facing the ship along the beach and the walkway over to the built lighthouse. The rest of it seems largely unfinished based on these photos and others I've seen in other places. I hope the rest of the island comes together in time for the first cruise's arrival!

1 hour ago, VgsBby said:

It's Only missing trees. That's last minute details. 20 days until we show up!

I believe all the trees were planted last year so they had time to get established. You can see some decent size trees surrounding the light blue building. I don’t think more trees are forthcoming - but Like all things OC all we can do is our best guess.

1 hour ago, kidless said:

Looking at the pictures, hope they are older because it doesn’t look ready! We go in December curious to see it. 

I’m 99% certain these were taken October 14-16 and my bet is the 15th. Look at the lighthouse and the Notice the bar surrounding the lighthouse is finished. Photos posted during the week of Oct 10th show the lighthouse bar just getting started. The drone pic shows the deck surrounding the lighthouse completed -so it seems the pic was taken after October 10th. 

58 minutes ago, CruisinMaterial said:

The rest of it seems largely unfinished based on these photos and others I've seen in other places. I hope the rest of the island comes together in time for the first cruise's arrival!

MSC has put out quite a bit of press recently stating the island will be open and ready on Nov 9th. Lots of MSC fans have stood behind the company on the opening. If the island is not ready this will be a huge PR hit. 

I kept wanting the drone to pan out and show the whole island, but unfortunately it stayed focused on the walkway/shopping area right where passengers exit the ship. 

If I'm not mistaken, the yellow highlight is supposed to be the main buffet pavilion area for the island.

image.png.c5c497e019800355f6e4a481bdc16d21.png

• Like 1