Ocean Cay~ The Final Countdown

BermudaBound2014

1 hour ago, EMc&DrS said:

One of our favorite excursions ever was to a tiny island off of Belize.  It had a few trees, a small building where they sold beer, and not much more---but it was surrounded by incredible white sand and blue/greenwater.  One of our favorite cruise days--and there was nothing there.  If the beach at Ocean Cay is as beautiful as it looks, won't matter to us what is finished and what is not!

image.png.0f8c4799227200edd279d9bec1c03aa9.png

image.png.3cb438386c5e96c4856a117d7e13a237.png

❤️ exactly

It is going to be lovely. 

A few bumps as it is being completed (YC area won't be ready til early summer 2020)

OC is about the sea/sand and sunshine. 

Not rollercoasters. 

The lighthouse does have a ligh show (video was on instagram in recent weeks) and I believe it is to be part of the Bahamian party/parade atmosphere ... which is why the ship stays til late for evening events

• Like 1

Having never sailed on MSC, I am definitely not a cheerleader for the company.  However, I do get the impression that some folks are unusually negative about MSC and Ocean Cay.  If you go back to some of the comments posted in the last six months, you will read posts, that are gleefully  predicting, that OC would not open in time.  Now it looks certain that they will open in time, those same individuals are now anticipating a less than stellar experience.  Other social media sites are full of people who no longer use CC due to the negative posts.  This is really a shame as Cruise Critic has been a valuable source of information to new and potential cruisers.  Lighten up folks.  If you can't lighten up, at the very least, please wait until the Island welcomes their first passengers before you declare the island a disaster.   

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Nashna said:

Having never sailed on MSC, I am definitely not a cheerleader for the company.  However, I do get the impression that some folks are unusually negative about MSC and Ocean Cay.  If you go back to some of the comments posted in the last six months, you will read posts, that are gleefully  predicting, that OC would not open in time.  Now it looks certain that they will open in time, those same individuals are now anticipating a less than stellar experience.  Other social media sites are full of people who no longer use CC due to the negative posts.  This is really a shame as Cruise Critic has been a valuable source of information to new and potential cruisers.  Lighten up folks.  If you can't lighten up, at the very least, please wait until the Island welcomes their first passengers before you declare the island a disaster.   

I have not read anywhere were people have even remotely implied that Ocean Cay will be a disaster. Please provide a link for such a  serious accusation.

If you only want to read positive, then I recommend you stay on sights run by the cruise companies and people that work for the cruise companies. There are a plethora of edited and censored sites available. Those work much better than CC for many people because somewhere along the way our society has  become full of people who are very thin skinned. We have also lost the art of debate without hatred but that's another topic.

Personally, I think Ocean Cay will be amazing when it's finished, but I will not give a company a pass for false advertising. Just this week I received a special invitation to join Mera on the Nov 17th sailing and in that invitation it was implied that the island would have all services available. If they do, great. I have always praised MSC when they do a good job. If they don't, I will call BS. I will stand behind the consumer over any corporation each and every time.  

I appreciate CC because I can handle reading both the pro and con of the island/ship/food/etc without needing a therapy dog, but it's not for everyone.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Fogfog said:

A few bumps as it is being completed (YC area won't be ready til early summer 2020)

Where did you read 'early summer' for YC opening? First it was delayed until January. Then I read early spring. I've also read that people have cabanas booked in YC for arrival next week. Can you link please?

Edited by BermudaBound2014

12 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Where did you read 'early summer' for YC opening? First it was delayed until January. Then I read early spring. I've also read that people have cabanas booked in YC for arrival next week. Can you link please?

Last reported date by MSC was February 2020 for completion of the YC area.

• Thanks 1

On 10/26/2019 at 6:04 PM, Nashna said:

you will read posts, that are gleefully  predicting, that OC would not open in time.  Now it looks certain that they will open in time

The original date to open was 2 years ago. 

edit to add link  https://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/fl-msc-cruises-ocean-cay-island-20151217-story.html

Edited by LMaxwell
  • Like 1

On 10/26/2019 at 8:20 PM, BermudaBound2014 said:

I will not give a company a pass for false advertising. Just this week I received a special invitation to join Mera on the Nov 17th sailing and in that invitation it was implied that the island would have all services available. If they do, great. I have always praised MSC when they do a good job. If they don't, I will call BS. I will stand behind the consumer over any corporation each and every time.  

I appreciate CC because I can handle reading both the pro and con of the island/ship/food/etc without needing a therapy dog, but it's not for everyone.

Total agreement. (y) (y) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LMaxwell said:

The original date to open was 2 years ago. 

edit to add link  https://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/fl-msc-cruises-ocean-cay-island-20151217-story.html

And then there was the 2nd opening date that didn't come to fruition either: 

https://www.travelmarketreport.com/articles/MSCs-Ocean-Cay-Back-On-Track-After-Delay

MSC First started selling stops in Ocean Cay in 2016 for a 2017 opening. At that time I hypothesized that the island wouldn't be open before 2020 and was tarred and feathered for being negative. Here it was, 2016, so how could I possibly suggest it would  take 4 more years to build the island. That was a fun thread to try to explain my position as people were adamant that the island would be ready because MSC said so.

When the 2017 delay happened and a 2018 opening announced, I again said 2020 and all the folks with rose colored glasses jumped on-board screaming, claiming that of course it would be completed in 2018. Numerous posters believed MSC and the trusted the 'cheerleaders' (for lack of better term) and signed up for Ocean Cay in 2018. My skin remained thick to the criticism that I was just being unfair to MSC. Again, my loyalty lies with the consumer, not the corporation. 

My issue isn't with the delays. Anyone with history in the Caribbean should expect delays. The island was basically a corporate waste zone, certainly much work would need to be put into it. My issue has always been that MSC sold cruises going to this island right up weeks before the opening was officially delayed. I won't defend that sort of deception. If that makes me negative, so be it.

It does look like the island will open in 2019 and be completed in 2020. MSC is selling cruises stating that the YC are will be ready in February. I don't expect this will be the case, but am more than willing to be pleasantly surprised. This is not a criticism about how long the island has taken to be built. Optimism is lovely, but realism is much more logical. 

• Like 1

On 10/26/2019 at 8:47 PM, BermudaBound2014 said:

Here on CC in the MSC threads

Am sure you can find it

13 minutes ago, Fogfog said:

Here on CC in the MSC threads

Am sure you can find it

I was looking for an official link from MSC to prevent the spread of rumors.  It appears MSC never stated they wouldn't open Ocean cay YC until the summer as you read on the forum (which is why I asked you for a reference). This is exactly how mis-information is spread.

According to Sadari, the official word from MSC is February (and he's on-top of things so I trust that as I've also read). However; If you can supply an  link to substantiate your claim that YC on OC won't be open until the summer that would help to avoid spreading false information. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I was looking for an official link from MSC to prevent the spread of rumors.  It appears MSC never stated they wouldn't open Ocean cay YC until the summer as you read on the forum (which is why I asked you for a reference). This is exactly how mis-information is spread.

According to Sadari, the official word from MSC is February (and he's on-top of things so I trust that as I've also read). However; If you can supply an  link to substantiate your claim that YC on OC won't be open until the summer that would help to avoid spreading false information. 

WOW lots of assumptions in that response

😜

• Haha 1

On 10/26/2019 at 4:17 PM, Fogfog said:

You claimed YC area wouldn't be ready until early summer 2020. I simply asked for a reference to substantiate. Please provide if one exists. Otherwise, it might be best if we all refrained from sharing mis-information as it was fact. If it was your opinion that YC wouldn't open until early summer, that's fine, but disclaim).

If a link exists to actually substantiate your quote above, my apologies.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, cruisingnewtoit said:

I will be there Feb 21 2020 so if YC is open that would be fantastic. 

Is MSC still requiring passengers to pay for the buffet while on the island?

Not per their website, nor the multiple posts noting the change a few months ago.

Mscoceancay.com

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, cruisingnewtoit said:

TY great info. I was reading on the ocean cay/ MSC website.

No problem!

With the island being brand new the information is a little scattered.  

We're really looking to our first visit to the island in December!

• Like 2