Recent cruisers - Carnival Deli?

duhwitt

Hello recent Carnival cruisers! I'm just off the Miracle, and the Carnival Deli is my *favorite* place to eat, besides the steakhouse.  I should say though the Deli really disappointed on my cruise last week.  As in, I love a freshly made turkey wrap with tomatoes, onions, pickles, and mayo, which takes all of like 30 seconds to make, but I got major attitude every time I wanted something other than the "premade" turkey wrap.  

What have you all experienced on recent Carnival cruises? Are the premade wraps the way of the future?  Or was my experience a one-off?  

2 hours ago, duhwitt said:

but I got major attitude every time I wanted something other than the "premade" turkey wrap.  

I agree. I asked for a turkey wrap with no cheddar cheese, but they said "it comes pre-made", so I just got a tuna sandwich. Regardless, I was a little shocked that they couldn't just make it without cheddar cheese. I guess they are already overrun by the burden of being overworked, so I cannot blame them. The only things I really loved about the Deli were the shorter lines and the complimentary omelets they make that no one seems to realize, despite the huge signs saying "Omelets". The chefs in the main buffet area had lot of people queued for omelets!

DH won't have cheese on any of his sandwiches.  He had no problem on Sensation getting a wrap "made to order".  Maybe because that was a smaller ship - less people on line at any time at deli.  My problem with the tuna sandwich on Conquest was that they seem to always want to put it in the panini press.  I get mine without cheese also.  I have to make sure I tell them I want it cold.  Warm tuna with mayo - yich!!

39 minutes ago, pe4all said:

DH won't have cheese on any of his sandwiches.  He had no problem on Sensation getting a wrap "made to order".  Maybe because that was a smaller ship - less people on line at any time at deli.  My problem with the tuna sandwich on Conquest was that they seem to always want to put it in the panini press.  I get mine without cheese also.  I have to make sure I tell them I want it cold.  Warm tuna with mayo - yich!!

I'm with you. The thought of warm mayo makes me gag.

I absolutely love the new Deli. So many new options, and more than just lunch meats. The meatball and buffalo chicken are my favorite. Truffle fries are really tasty too. The cuban and southwest chicken wrap are pretty good too.

Just curious. Did you really not like it, or could you not get over the fact that they assembled them in advance? You know, for all of the people concerned about it being "fresh" there isn't much difference between the turkey sitting in a tub vs it being placed in a wrap because that's where it's going to be soon anyways.

They make them on-site, not sent to them pre-packaged. Big difference. I've also personally never seen a custom order turned down.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, jbethel11 said:

I guess they are already overrun by the burden of being overworked, so I cannot blame them.

you mean they are doing their job? The Turkey with mustard is unacceptable as well the pre made corned beef. Corned Beef is never served cold, anywhere decent. On our last cruise they no longer had panini presses,which are required to make a proper Cuban Sandwich, more of a big toaster oven. 

• Like 3

We sailed on the Magic in May of this year and whenever I got into the deli queue, people in front of me were ordering custom made sandwiches.  The staff was very accommodating.  I always had two hot dogs with chili or sauerkraut, delicious.  The only condiment that I like on hot dogs they didn't have, sweet relish, so that's on my packing list for my next cruise.

A gentleman in front of me ordered double corned beef on his sandwich and it looked pretty darn good.

I agree with jbethel11, there were very few people at the omelette station (deli) in the aft section of the buffet when I was there.  I'm an early riser so maybe that was the reason.  The cooks were very fast making omelettes and my over easy eggs, never had to wait.

2 minutes ago, tattoos said:

I agree with jbethel11, there were very few people at the omelette station (deli) in the aft section of the buffet when I was there.  I'm an early riser so maybe that was the reason.  The cooks were very fast making omelettes and my over easy eggs, never had to wait.

Yes. I woke up around 6:30am and went to breakfast at around 7:00am-7:30am. Everyday of the cruise, I got a plain omelet and french toast with roast potatoes! 😋

OMG, you made my mouth water.  I always eat 4 eggs every morning on the ship (and at home) and some people in back of me have been surprised that you could order fresh eggs any way you like them instead of omelettes.  The eggs tasted much better on the ship, maybe it was because I didn't have to cook them, ha!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jbethel11 said:

One of the things I cannot stand is when people use empathy to do less work. So are you suggesting they should have been able to prepare the turkey wrap without cheddar?

Of course, it's their job. My guys hold and sub things all day. What if someone is lactose intolerable, no cheese please. We hear it everyday, hold the mayo, no onion, hold the croutons, yes it's their job. The pre made sandwiches was not well thought out, and even the cooks, who i asked, would rather make to order, like every other restaurant. 

On the Sunshine in April they were making all the sandwiches to order. I'm not picky and would just get mine how they came, DH is the picky one and would order his how he wanted it and neither of us had any problems getting what we wanted. 

I also must say I really liked the new sandwiches, I much prefer the toasted over the panini press which I felt always made my sandwich taste burnt.

I've had mixed experiences. On the Horizon in April we had no problems with made to order. They were happily doing it for everyone. Just got off the Victory a couple weeks ago & while in line to get my son a hotdog I heard them turning down several people asking for no cheese, no mayo, etc. I didn't even bother trying to order. Disappointing because I really like the deli just minus one ingredient.

Edited by Drose716
  • Thanks 1

My only disappointment was the TOMATO and MOZZARELLA arugula, roasted pepper on focaccia.  It was pictured like a caprese salad on bread, but was served grilled.  A big miss for me, I remember to ask for it not to be toasted next time.

14 hours ago, Joebucks said:

I absolutely love the new Deli. So many new options, and more than just lunch meats. The meatball and buffalo chicken are my favorite. Truffle fries are really tasty too. The cuban and southwest chicken wrap are pretty good too.

Just curious. Did you really not like it, or could you not get over the fact that they assembled them in advance? You know, for all of the people concerned about it being "fresh" there isn't much difference between the turkey sitting in a tub vs it being placed in a wrap because that's where it's going to be soon anyways.

They make them on-site, not sent to them pre-packaged. Big difference. I've also personally never seen a custom order turned down.

If they're gonna pre make and pre package everything, then it's not a deli.  They should call it a vending machine.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Joebucks said:

I still got them made custom, but I got major attitude from the deli guy every single time.  Even when there was nobody else in line.  I did try the pre-made buffalo chicken wrap but it was so soggy from being premade it was inedible.  The difference?  Mustard and mayo seeping through the premade wrap.  That's what I have an issue with, along with not being able to add the ingredients I desire, without getting attitude.  

It also wasn't just me, one day the lady in front of my ordered a gluten free reuben with sauerkraut on the side, it took 15 minutes and the sandwich still came out wrong.  

• Like 1

I just got off the Miracle too and ate at the deli a couple of times. It took forever to get through the line and everybody I heard order had specialty requests for each sandwich. The guy made each sandwich from scratch of the ones I saw. Most people were ordering extra cheese, a different cheese, or extra bacon. There should be two staff members to man that station. One could do the bread and meat- the next guy could do the cheese and toasting. Each hot sandwich went in the toaster oven twice.