Tales from the Journey Transatlantic 5 November 2019

uktog

6 hours ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

I hope we get an expo on our Pursuit TA. Looks fascinating. White night looks good too. Ours is planned to be in Salvador de Bahia.

It might not be a bad idea to mention to the Hotel Director or the Cruise Director that you’ve heard good things about how much fun the expo is, and that you’re looking forward to it.  They’d probably be thrilled to hear that people talk about it.

• Like 1

The sign of a good white night....the day after how many of the staff are talking about it.  Evidently Facebook is awash with videos of various things.  The lovely thing, none of this relates to alcohol, its about crew and guests having fun together.  The conga led by the captain, the band has never reprised the number so many times to get everyone back downstairs, the dancing in the crepe suzette corner, the Captain and Safety officer doing the twist......  Today there are a large number of people walking around gingerly talking about muscles they had never felt for a long  time (and thats just the officers!)

I think what made it is everyone knew they had had to alter speeds for three days to get into this spot of dry, calm seas at the time they needed to.  Everyone appreciated what the staff and crew had done to achieve this.  

Usually tables start to empty about 2100 not last night, it continued on and into the Living Room.

Today we have hit land in Bermuda.  Its not as wet as expected and most people are getting off to stretch legs though being a Sunday everything is closed.  We also have 95 guests embarking on a short cruise to Miami so it has been good to tap their brains on what to do.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, uktog said:

The sign of a good white night....the day after how many of the staff are talking about it.  Evidently Facebook is awash with videos of various things.  The lovely thing, none of this relates to alcohol, its about crew and guests having fun together.  The conga led by the captain, the band has never reprised the number so many times to get everyone back downstairs, the dancing in the crepe suzette corner, the Captain and Safety officer doing the twist......  Today there are a large number of people walking around gingerly talking about muscles they had never felt for a long  time (and thats just the officers!)

I think what made it is everyone knew they had had to alter speeds for three days to get into this spot of dry, calm seas at the time they needed to.  Everyone appreciated what the staff and crew had done to achieve this.  

Usually tables start to empty about 2100 not last night, it continued on and into the Living Room.

Today we have hit land in Bermuda.  Its not as wet as expected and most people are getting off to stretch legs though being a Sunday everything is closed.  We also have 95 guests embarking on a short cruise to Miami so it has been good to tap their brains on what to do.

It sounds like a fabulous night!

15 hours ago, uktog said:

I hope this video of the new Azamara dance troup works 

I am doing some belated prep/planning for our 30th November Journey, and noticed the Caribbean 'troup' in lieu of the non-Azamazing event is scheduled for the evening in Barbados. This is our only late stop on that cruise, which makes it likely the white night will be at sea on that voyage also....I know sailaway times can alter across the itinerary.

At least in the Caribbean it will be muuuuch warmer around the pool deck, even in the evening, than it would be sailing out of Queensferry or Rosyth in December. Really cold here these past few days, with overnight frosts, so can barely wait to get on our way....only 12 more sleeps!

Thanks for all your insights, photos and videos....thoroughly enjoying, and with each one the anticipation rises. 😊 

2 hours ago, hamrag said:

I am doing some belated prep/planning for our 30th November Journey, and noticed the Caribbean 'troup' in lieu of the non-Azamazing event is scheduled for the evening in Barbados. This is our only late stop on that cruise, which makes it likely the white night will be at sea on that voyage also....I know sailaway times can alter across the itinerary.

At least in the Caribbean it will be muuuuch warmer around the pool deck, even in the evening, than it would be sailing out of Queensferry or Rosyth in December. Really cold here these past few days, with overnight frosts, so can barely wait to get on our way....only 12 more sleeps!

Thanks for all your insights, photos and videos....thoroughly enjoying, and with each one the anticipation rises. 😊 

I am sure they will stay later in one more port if they can - that is what they are doing next cruise

• Like 1

2 hours ago, uktog said:

I am sure they will stay later in one more port if they can - that is what they are doing next cruise

Either way, you're account of the mid-atlantic white night has really whetted my appetite. We can have them end the night with a rendition of the Runrig version of 'by yon bonnie banks...' The more traditional 'Should auld acquaintance be forgot' has become old had in recent times! 

11 hours ago, lisiamc said:

It might not be a bad idea to mention to the Hotel Director or the Cruise Director that you’ve heard good things about how much fun the expo is, and that you’re looking forward to it.  They’d probably be thrilled to hear that people talk about it.

We got the Expo on the TA from Rio to Lisbon on the Pursuit earlier this year.  Have seen it a couple of times, always something new each time....

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, baytraller said:

Have just  noticed on the Senior Officer list for the Journey that Fred Bubner no longer relieves Heike, have I missed an announcement, the relief is now Ngawhira Fleet (Quest - Guest Relations Manager).

https://www.azamara.com/en-au/life-onboard/crew/senior-officer-schedule

peter

As I understand, Fred and Liesl have left Azamara.  I didn't realise Ngawhira had been promoted into the Associate HD role though. 

Phil 

Edited by excitedofharpenden

1 hour ago, excitedofharpenden said:

As I understand, Fred and Liesl have left Azamara.  I didn't realise Ngawhira had been promoted into the Associate HD role though. 

Phil 

I notice on the schedule that there are still “TBA” later on in the year so this looks like a temporary fill in.  I know it’s usually HD/F & B roles that combine so maybe gaps need filling.

Phil

A new Assistant Cruise Director replacing Alicia Hill who has also left is due onboard in Bermuda.  Meg Young has been a very good stand in and she will be training the new person for the following two cruises.  I will update when I learn more but its all change on Journey.  A large number are going on vacation in Miami so there will be some settling down for sure next cruise

9 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Phil 

I'll miss both of them - such a kind, friendly and helpful couple. And Heike and Fred were a good team, I think, too.

• Like 2

So Bermuda and an overnight. Goodness the captain was right to have sorted out white night to be at sea. I know they have had rain shortages in Bermuda but there was no need for the weather gods to adjust them to the extent they did yesterday. 

We had a short walk ashore placed our poppies at their Cenotaph that we had been using on board and had a quick dark and stormy.   Last night was a Caribbean buffet that we did not go to instead going for another good meal in the main dining room. A local steel drum player had been brought on board into the living room from 5 to 7 and he really was excellent. The evening show was Peter Rossetti. who plays in spirits doing an Elton John boogie set again very good. 

Today the weather gods were a little kinder. We have been to Bermuda many times so some of the sites on the south island that other people have been heading off to see did not need our revisit from us. Instead we took the local pink route ferry from the pier at Hamilton which is five minutes walk from where you dock and took the round trip round all the little local stops where they  pick people up and drop them back off. It was a great way to see the spectacular houses on the other side of the reef that the ship cannot go on when entering and leaving port and as it cost just $11 for two people rather a good bargain day out. However we could not resist another dark and stormy this time on the first floor of a bar overlooking the ship this time the drink was rather strong so I suspect this afternoon maybe sleepy and our trivia performance rather modest. 

And ..,,it’s stopped raining and is sunny!

674CB0D2-AA54-42F8-8246-49B6D1E385A1.jpeg

7FCAB2F1-750A-4C24-A345-57D38D18FE39.jpeg

3A27A3CB-B89A-4FED-98F2-E22A30744CE6.jpeg

F6DBCA6D-DEF1-4348-8C15-2E08620BB5B8.jpeg

Edited by uktog
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, uktog said:

So Bermuda and an overnight. Goodness the captain was right to have sorted out white night to be at sea. I know they have had rain shortages in Bermuda but there was no need for the weather gods to adjust them to the extent they did yesterday. 

We had a short walk ashore placed our poppies at their Cenotaph that we had been using on board and had a quick dark and stormy.   Last night was a Caribbean buffet that we did not go to instead going for another good meal in the main dining room. A local steel drum player had been brought on board into the living room from 5 to 7 and he really was excellent. The evening show was Peter Rossetti. who plays in spirits doing an Elton John boogie set again very good. 

Today the weather gods were a little kinder. We have been to Bermuda many times so some of the sites on the south island but other people have been heading off to see did not need our revisit from us. Instead we took the local pink route ferry from the pier at Hamilton which is five minutes walk from where you dock and took the round trip round all the little local stop square of the pick people up and drop them back off. It was a great way to see the spectacular houses on the other side of the brief that the ship cannot go on when entering and leaving port and as it cost just $11 for two people rather a good bargain day out. However we could not resist another dark and stormy this time on the first floor of a bar overlooking the ship this time the drink was rather strong so I suspect this afternoon maybe sleepy and our trivia performance rather modest. 

And ..,,it’s stopped raining and is sunny!

674CB0D2-AA54-42F8-8246-49B6D1E385A1.jpeg

7FCAB2F1-750A-4C24-A345-57D38D18FE39.jpeg

3A27A3CB-B89A-4FED-98F2-E22A30744CE6.jpeg

F6DBCA6D-DEF1-4348-8C15-2E08620BB5B8.jpeg

Question:

was the Journey scheduled to be in St. George’s today?  We are on Oceania Sirena and was scheduled to be in St. George today, Monday.

were told the winds were too strong and we were redirected to the Dockyard., and for a short day with all aboard at 3:00

anyone know if St. George can handle two ships?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, uktog said:

......And ..,,it’s stopped raining and is sunny!....

We had the most beautifully sunny day back home here......the downside is it was -5 overnight, barely above freezing all day, and a slightly colder repeat overnight and tomorrow is forecast!

Wishing you calm seas for the remainder of your Journey. 

21 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Phil 

I was on Quest when it became official. She had been on a week when she started cross training. As it was a very hard cruise  due to Visa being needed, guests leaving with Medical problems with a crew member it was  a little crazy. I am not sure if she is going to do any F and B or just HD, Did hear that at some point Heike was going to train her but not sure of the rest. 

3 hours ago, ellbon said:

I was on Quest when it became official. She had been on a week when she started cross training. As it was a very hard cruise  due to Visa being needed, guests leaving with Medical problems with a crew member it was  a little crazy. I am not sure if she is going to do any F and B or just HD, Did hear that at some point Heike was going to train her but not sure of the rest. 

I'd be very surprised if there was a move into food and beverage. That role has to be 'in the blood' and I don't think Ngawhira has any experience there. As I said it does look like a temporary position because it still has "to be announced" later in the year. I suspect when a replacement for Fred in the F & B role has been found. 

Phil 

• Like 1

It is temporary at present. Iwan will be stepping over to F and B. They will assess how it shapes up in due course as it’s a new direction which is a risk. It might work it might not. 
You certainly need someone who can keep it all looking calm when things are going wrong all around. Every cruise can be hard the trick is when the guests don’t know or notice. 
Aspects of this cruise have been very hard for staff but I doubt many guests spotted anything 

• Like 1