Tales from the Journey Transatlantic 5 November 2019

uktog

It has been bouncy down to the Canaries this week - a RCI boat was very late in today and Silhouette en route to New York is having to change direction.  At this time of the year, the swell can be the biggest issue.  Last year, we had some fun with it on Pursuit but Captain Antonio did a brilliant presentation that explained why you could have lovely weather but swell and the role of atmospheric pressure and lunar cycles in determining swell.

We can all share our experiences here next week, it will be interesting to see how we all experience movement (if at all) depending on where our rooms are - this will help future transatlantic cruisers.

So my first tale is a tale that is probably not unique to getting ready to go on a transatlantic voyage. It’s that day when the final organisation is being completed and in this case you are trying to model weather maps to decide what to pack. In time I will share what I packed not a long list but more did I have too much of some types of clothes and not enough of another. 

however my question is to see how many of you find yourself on that run-up to the cruise saying  one or more of the following

* no I’m sorry dear these colours just do not go

* I thought we agreed that that outfit was not going on holiday again

* why did you not check that sooner I’m not sure how I can wash it I iron it mended in time  (You choose which of the verbs fit your situation today I used all three)

I am sure as we pack we will have more often used phrases. 

For us doing the transatlantic and 2 following  cruises we will confess now to taking three suitcases maybe that’s the way to go on longer trips or mixed weather cruises. We are fortunate with our  airline loyalty to have the one extra case carried at no charge but if we were going with a different provider that charged us I think for ease of flexibility clothes over the cases it’s the best way to go and a small price in comparison to the total cost. So that’s our first suggestion 

Edited by uktog
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, uktog said:

* no I’m sorry dear these colours just do not go

* I thought we agreed that that outfit was not going on holiday again

* why did you not check that sooner I’m not sure how I can wash it I iron it mended in time  (You choose which of the verbs fit your situation today I used all three)

Loved your post, but you sound very gentle, my DW would go along the following lines:

• How could you possibly think these items match!
  • There is no way you are taking that one again!
  • Too late, you missed the boat (no pun)!
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, marinaro44 said:

Heike left Journey yesterday for a meeting in Miami, and will rejoin in Funchal.

Yes she told us, Team Building in Miami..... 

Maybe she can get LCV to answer an email for us but I fear it is too late...........we are embarking feeling somewhat let down based on previous promises but will not in any way let it spoil our views of the onboard experience.

5 minutes ago, uktog said:

Maybe she can get LCV to answer an email for us but I fear it is too late...........we are embarking feeling somewhat let down based on previous promises but will not in any way let it spoil our views of the onboard experience.

Best way to look at it.  Ventusky shows turmoil in the North Atlantic but a narrow smooth path from Barcelona to Miami.  Subject to change, of course.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, hamrag said:

Loved your post, but you sound very gentle, my DW would go along the following lines:

• How could you possibly think these items match!
  • There is no way you are taking that one again!
  • Too late, you missed the boat (no pun)!

Sounds like our house.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, uktog said:

What promises? Do some get special treatment? 

• Thanks 1

So we are safely in Barcelona.

For us we have a choice, a direct flight at a not a very ideal time with a lo cost carrier or BA through Heathrow and a short layover.  We chose the later. For anyone using British Airways connecting at London BA Barcelona (and Lisbon and Miami) flights leave from Terminal 3 and not their Terminal 5 hub.  Domestic passengers who are on flights leaving from T5 do not have to go through security again, but if you are heading over to T3 you have to go security again.  Terminal 3 security today was SO slow today to the extent that normal track was quicker than fast track.

Both our BA flights were smack on time, both were 100% full but they managed to fit all the carryons in the cabin.  On both, the staff were particularly pleasant.

Arrival at Barcelona was smooth for EU passport holders.  It looked like the lines for non EU would take about 30 minutes a pleasure we noted we would have to enjoy on our next visit post Brexit.  

In the baggage hall there are plenty of trolleys free of charge.  

We organised our car through Sun Transfers - probably cost double a taxi but we had three larger cases and two carry on cases.  Amazingly all the cases went into the boot (trunk) and the car was very roomy.  We were offered water and cold towels which was nice.  The line for taxis was long but moving  We just prefer to get straight in a car, its an added cost we accept.  In the terminal we were approached by several touts even though we were with our transfer driver.  Be careful ignore the touts and go out to the stand.

We are now in our hotel Hotel Indigo (IHG group) we have used it before and it is very comfortable.  Its in a good part of town about 100 yards from Passieg de Gracia and one block up from Plaza Catalunya.

A lot has been written about protestors - we have walked out and around tonight and had no sense Barcelona was any different from all our previous visits.  So no protests tonight 🙂

Have a great time! I would love to hear about the seas around Gibraltar... hope they are smooth for you.😃

I would really love to book a Lisbon to Barcelona cruise but am worried about how the straits and the DH's stomach will "get along."

Thanks will let you know about the seas in due course.  

Today was one of these days which highlighted that you can visit a city again and again and again.  We’ve been to Barcelona many times but had never managed Parc Guell restricted area. Today, with planning we did it.

Parc Guell is somewhere that they strictly limit the number of visitors.  Even in November there were no tickets for walk ups today.  We’d purchased our time slot on line.  The advantage is this also includes a shuttle bus from Alfonso X metro station to the Parc. Just as well it would be an uphill for a long way. Alfonso X is served by the L4 line.  Another way to avoid the hike would have been a 24 bus from Plaza Catalunya.  

The Parc is a delight. Very popular but still photogenic.  It is being restored in places with amazing care.  Lovely to watch such skilled craftsmen at work. 

We have finally mastered the metro/subway. I suppose this morning it was a needs must. We bought a T10 for 10.20 euros which allows 10 single journeys but you can share the card.  They have really helpful station assistants at the machines although there was an English option anyway. Machines take cash or cards. One person goes through the gate, passes the ticket to the second, all legal!  There are also T20 versions for longer stays and the tickets do not expire. 

We made further use of the ticket riding down to the beach on L4 and having a lovely lunch overlooking the beach in Xiringuito Escriba a popular place with locals.  The obligatory paella has been eaten.

Temperature today is around 20c quite sunny, I have been walking around in a long sleeved cotton shirt and no jacket and it was very pleasant 

44FD0B45-86B8-4EB8-BF07-C09AB949277F.jpeg

44B752A3-11A3-49CA-BDD4-F0F24B18BD79.jpeg

8987BB7A-762C-4BD5-B148-8A402D38F0B3.jpeg

F2AA3DEF-6A98-4051-A9D6-E68779B50CF4.jpeg

79E84238-F8CF-4F2D-BFFB-6267796FED60.jpeg

1ABE517C-0959-41D5-8BF2-489E99867864.jpeg

• Like 4

Last night we returned to an old favourite Casa Alphonso just near our hotel.   http://casaalfonso.com/

As a reference it’s in a side street by El Corte Inglese. You have to book, it’s tiny but perfect and has been in business 85 years as a deli and tapas bar. We ate like kings, had a bottle of wine and still had change from 60 euros!  

The ham and cheese platter and flatbread was superb (the croquettes were eaten before the photo was remembered oops) but my favourite was the honeyed aubergines (eggplant) with goats cheese

It’s so full of character as you are squeezed in beside the next table or perched on stools at the counter watching the hams being fresh carved by the servers. 

We really feel our Spanish part of this adventure has started. 

87AD2D4D-61FF-44A8-94E5-B89641BB51DF.jpeg

916BE582-965A-4313-87F5-16344FA6C003.jpeg

653A9219-B852-4229-8892-240A0A1EBED1.jpeg

Edited by uktog
  • Like 2

That food looks lovely and the place sounds wonderful.

Seeing your photos of Park Guell I wondered if it’s still full of people selling a whole range of goods from cloths set out on the ground? Last time we were there we were very disappointed because there were so many it made walking around difficult. I wondered if they had got rid of them, it would certainly make it much more pleasant.