Tales from the Journey Transatlantic 5 November 2019

uktog

That’s fine if you know how all the shuttles work but we started on an open top bus tour from the dock so had no idea. The open top company were to provide our transportation back to the dock at the end of the tour which they did not. The walk is more than 25 minutes if you have a compressed spine ....

What did everyone think of the old Celebrity Mercury, now named Mein Schaffer’s Herz?

I can still see the Celebrity lines.    The balconies were added by Celebrity during a refit drydock.   I remember we had a very deep balcony but at least they added balconies.   Guess the Galaxy became another Mein Schaffer’s.

6 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

What did everyone think of the old Celebrity Mercury, now named Mein Schaffer’s Herz?

I can still see the Celebrity lines.    The balconies were added by Celebrity during a refit drydock.   I remember we had a very deep balcony but at least they added balconies.   Guess the Galaxy became another Mein Schaffer’s.

Celebrity Galaxy is Mein Schiff..

Celebrity Galaxy was Mein Schiff 1 but has now become Marella Explorer (formerly Thompson Cruises) for the U.K. market.
Celebrity Mercury was Mein Schiff 2 but has been renamed Mein Schiff Herz it is being said on the Marella board that it will also be transferred to Marella at some time.

Incidentally Celebrity Century that went to the Chinese market is now Marella Explorer 2.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Riocca said:

Celebrity Galaxy was Mein Schiff 1 but has now become Marella Explorer (formerly Thompson Cruises) for the U.K. market.
Celebrity Mercury was Mein Schiff 2 but has been renamed Mein Schiff Herz it is being said on the Marella board that it will also be transferred to Marella at some time.

Incidentally Celebrity Century that went to the Chinese market is now Marella Explorer 2.

We are booked on Mein Schiff Herz for january, looks great. All inclusive with premier brand drinks. Fantastic spa and most  special dining inclusive. 

The rest of Sunday was spent reading we’ve bought a good supply of books before we enjoyed a few slices of cheese at the cheese buffet at sail away. The weather is relatively pleasant 20c and the seas although not smooth have settled down. Sunday’s buffet we greatly enjoyed, the old favourite Indian buffet before heading to Eric’s show. Whilst it’s the same show as always you can rely on it being good fun and showcases his talent admirably. 

64C410C2-6F81-40B8-A6DE-1CDBCF6CDC1F.jpeg

00C7D85B-8DCB-4B54-A6D5-193E1D65C9EE.jpeg

3775BCDB-5D81-4B0D-B218-77911D2F7E03.jpeg

86F0302F-3C39-457F-B72D-4EB539DB5FA0.jpeg

79868FFC-1A31-4FB4-84C3-A0D752E683E9.jpeg

C638CBB9-B789-44A9-B601-0AE6123EC26B.jpeg

Eric is a hugely talented singer and a marvellous entertainer in general but my personal opinion is that it is time for some new songs and shows to showcase his wonderful talent. 

With so many repeat passengers on Azamara I am sure that most of us have heard those old Broadway Musical songs over and over again, no matter how wonderfully Eric sings them (and he does!) 

Have to say that I enjoyed a mix of some more modern songs on Pursuit in the summer. Like Adele, Coldplay, George Ezra and Amy Winehouse. They were certainly welcome for dancing on White Night and the other night on deck we had. Not everyone loves Elvis! 😄

• Like 4

1 hour ago, uktog said:

The rest of Sunday was spent reading we’ve bought a good supply of books before we enjoyed a few slices of cheese at the cheese buffet at sail away. The weather is relatively pleasant 20c and the seas although not smooth have settled down. Sunday’s buffet we greatly enjoyed, the old favourite Indian buffet before heading to Eric’s show. Whilst it’s the same show as always you can rely on it being good fun and showcases his talent admirably. 

The cheese buffet looks fabulous!  I hope they have one on our Christmas cruise.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

I was glad that Eric did some songs from recent history, as apprised to the “big band” numbers that seem to be the orchestra’s favs.   I don’t care for the era and it is much too loud in the cabaret venue.

The orchestra were doing big band numbers as that’s what they were billed to do. You will see them do other material at different events eg at the lunch tomorrow 

On 11/1/2019 at 10:28 AM, uktog said:

So my first tale is a tale that is probably not unique to getting ready to go on a transatlantic voyage. It’s that day when the final organisation is being completed and in this case you are trying to model weather maps to decide what to pack. In time I will share what I packed not a long list but more did I have too much of some types of clothes and not enough of another. 

however my question is to see how many of you find yourself on that run-up to the cruise saying  one or more of the following

* no I’m sorry dear these colours just do not go

* I thought we agreed that that outfit was not going on holiday again

* why did you not check that sooner I’m not sure how I can wash it I iron it mended in time  (You choose which of the verbs fit your situation today I used all three)

I am sure as we pack we will have more often used phrases. 

For us doing the transatlantic and 2 following  cruises we will confess now to taking three suitcases maybe that’s the way to go on longer trips or mixed weather cruises. We are fortunate with our  airline loyalty to have the one extra case carried at no charge but if we were going with a different provider that charged us I think for ease of flexibility clothes over the cases it’s the best way to go and a small price in comparison to the total cost. So that’s our first suggestion 

Ha ha!   I believe DW has used those phrases to me more than once.  We are just off the Journey, Oct 10-27, b2b. 

Regarding Eric and new songs.  He brought DW  onto the dance floor twice, once during our 1st cruise, put his arm around her and said "They don't grow them very big where she comes from."  On the second cruise at the M&M, he looked at her and said "I have plans for you tonight."  DW is 4'10''  to Eric's   self described  5'18". He brought her onto the dance floor and started singing  "The Surrey with the Fringe on Top."  while sitting on a backless table.  He started rocking back and forth, and DW,  afraid of falling, reached out for something to hold onto.  It was Eric's knee.  He took her hand off his knee, and said "This isn't that kind of cruise dear."   She knew that she was doomed when he saw her sitting in the audience and her feet didn't touch the floor.  I brought my camera the second show and have pictures, but I can't figure how to download onto cc.

• Like 3

To UKtog, or anyone else onboard who is doing B2B or B2B+ please:

We are booked 30 Nov and 7 Dec and I have now completed check-in for the first leg. When I tried to do same for the second leg, the system does not accept any check-in data so I have not been able to check-in for that leg.

Has that been the case with your check-in for the subsequent cruise on 21 Nov, and is it because we will already be on board?

Many thanks for any responses.

19 minutes ago, uktog said:

To be honest you don’t need to check in for the second leg you can sort it all onboard 

Have never done advance check in for a second or third cruise in a b2b or b2b2b.  All they ask is you check out with your old seapass card and check in with your new one in the morning, and then take your credit card to guest services after noon.

• Thanks 1

So the first of the six sea days was another busy doing nothing more days

The activities available had been increased although none of them appealed to us but that is a matter of personal taste. 

We enjoyed being outside and I was able to get a place again on the water colour Class.  The timing of the class is causing problems for some but having asked about it it appears it cannot be changed. Last year on a different Azamara vessel they had the class at 1400 but here it’s at 1300 which means no one doing trivia can attend. It’s also the case that they can only take 30 people and know if you are not there by 12:45 you will not get in which is a pity because it’s a really good class Bev is an excellent teacher. 

As it was the 11th there was a very appropriately  organised service of remembrance The picture below was taken before the service I found it a little disconcerting that several were videoing the event and this distracted a little from the opportunity to reflect and remember. 

We were fortunate to have a reservation in Aquilina last night because they have for the crossing introduced menu additions from old favourites. So last night I was able to enjoy  goats cheese soufflé mushroom veloute and lobster Thermidor.  We have just heard that tonight they are doing the baked brie and Dover sole however we are going to go to the Cuban Buffet after all we were supposed to go to Cuba on this cruise and this will be our chance to enjoy it. 

Lunchtime today was the outstanding German buffet complete with the band providing great music. 

Last nights entertainment  was Mel Mellors who was so funny we have seen him before but no two shows are the same the way he interacts with the audience. 

Now for the weather update the temperature remains about 20 and it is pleasant to sit outside the sea is move a little around 2 m but most people are getting there sealegs now

Sorry the picture loading is a nightmare never used to have this problem having images changing direction before! A shame as some lovely staff are in the photos 

CFE956F8-CBE7-4D83-B39A-F0D1106DA342.jpeg

41297147-194A-43D9-A113-E7D67CB0CEC5.jpeg

37B4AC15-2C22-4D92-8BE4-7F28364235DD.jpeg

3750C3AD-505D-4344-A64C-458D0E260EA8.jpeg

EA921BE8-CAA0-4688-87D1-F1A8CBAFBE38.jpeg

2FC0F00A-C6A6-4EF7-9CD7-F1C61E99A64E.jpeg

4EE1ABB8-05B5-460A-9590-83403B3ADD6B.jpeg

CB138493-D132-4EC2-BC46-49C2F06F1301.jpeg

535185C6-4170-48C0-B96A-42F7FA6BA09F.jpeg

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, uktog said:

....We were fortunate to have a reservation in Aquilina last night because they have for the crossing introduced menu additions from old favourites. So last night I was able to enjoy  goats cheese soufflé mushroom veloute and lobster Thermidor.  We have just heard that tonight they are doing the baked brie and Dover sole however we are going to go to the Cuban Buffet after all we were supposed to go to Cuba on this cruise and this will be our chance to enjoy it. 

This reminded me of a question I keep forgetting to ask....Do some gents wear a jacket in the evening, particularly in the specialty restaurants. Does your DH have a jacket for example?

Thanks, in anticipation.

17 minutes ago, uktog said:

It’s very much your choice. Some do some don’t. My husband does but that’s how he always is. I’d say it’s 50:50 this cruise 

Thanks for that. I am comfortable both with or without so, on the basis of your feedback, I shall probably pack a jacket or two assuming luggage weight permits.

We are tonight planning what we might go with to begin offloading all our OBC, and notice the 'nights in private places'. Have you ever done that?....At least in the Caribbean it will be warm, but not sure it's for us in our early 60's....🤣

Edited by hamrag

I am not sure they are doing it anymore- opinions divided on the experience. We never tried it. 
DH has two jackets with him but we were away longer and did not have big luggage restrictions 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, marinaro44 said:

Jackets were few and far between on the three crises prior to the crossing.  At Best of the Best on the cruise ending in Barcelona, one of six men wore jackets.  Not necessary at all.

I know it is not necessary in any sense, am simply trying to establish the proportion of jacket wearers. Thanks.

Hamrag

Husband always takes a suit and a jacket, that's just the way he likes to dress in the evenings. Every evening on our recent  Venice to Athens on Journey there were always several others in jackets. He never felt awkward. Sometimes the air-con in Discoveries  is a tad cool and a jacket was an advantage. If you have the room and know you would wear one, then take one, husband wore his jacket to travel in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, combine said:

Hamrag

Husband always takes a suit and a jacket, that's just the way he likes to dress in the evenings. Every evening on our recent  Venice to Athens on Journey there were always several others in jackets. He never felt awkward. Sometimes the air-con in Discoveries  is a tad cool and a jacket was an advantage. If you have the room and know you would wear one, then take one, husband wore his jacket to travel in.

That's exactly what I do, I usual wear it in the specialities, but not everyone does, each to the their own.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We have also noticed a larger proportion of jackets on this cruise in the Specialties.  My husband said he is comfortable wearing a jacket and hasn’t felt too warm.   Last night was the “Best of the Best” dinner in the Drawing Room.    There were quite a few ties in addition to the jackets and my husband wished he had worn his tie.   That will probably be his last night to wear a tie this cruise.

• Like 1