Bug Repellent Needed?

JayTee1

17 minutes ago, JayTee1 said:

For a trip to the Caribbean leaving from Florida. 

Is bug repellent a necessity?

Which specific ports? If you are taking a shore excursion that involves wildlife (jungles, rainforests) then absolutely. But if you are merely going to the beach or shopping, then no.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

Which specific ports? If you are taking a shore excursion that involves wildlife (jungles, rainforests) then absolutely. But if you are merely going to the beach or shopping, then no.

San Juan, St Thomas, Coco Cay.

No plans on wildlife type of excursions

A month ago (September 2019) we were bitten multiple times by microbugs in Cozumel. This happened at sunset while we strolled from the pier to downtown along the main road. We definitely wished that we had a bug spray at that time. Those were not mosquitoes but some micro flies, and their bites were annoyingly itchy.

Otherwise we didn't experience any issues with bugs during day time. We stopped in Cozumel, Belize, Costa Maya, and CocoCay.

Belize, Honduras...yes possibly.   I take portable packet bug repellent.  They pack well.  

• DH was bitten multiple times by tiny mosquitoes on little island near where the ship docks in Roatan, when he walked the beach.  They were hanging out in near the Mangroves.  Ouch!  

47 minutes ago, wolfcathorse said:

I'm too old to worry about Zika. So it depends on whether you plan on having kids or not.

Not just Zika.  

Diseases transmitted by mosquitoes include malaria, dengue, West Nile virus, chikungunya, yellow fever, filariasis, tularemia, dirofilariasis, Japanese encephalitis, Saint Louis encephalitis, Western equine encephalitis, Eastern equine encephalitis, Venezuelan equine encephalitis, Ross River fever, Barmah Forest.

• Like 2

I would pack it - better safe than sorry!     My DH is immune suppressant and his doctor told him to use a bug spray with at least 20% Deet and we got our Hep A shots and have drugs to take to prevent malaria when we do our B2B western/southern Caribbean cruise this January.    Mosquitos and other insects can carry nasty diseases.    We will be in Cozumel, Costa Maya, Honduras, Costa Rica and Panama.     

We have never had any problems in southern or eastern Caribbean but we are prepared for western Caribbean.

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Belize, Honduras...yes possibly.   I take portable packet bug repellent.  They pack well.  

• DH was bitten multiple times by tiny mosquitoes on little island near where the ship docks in Roatan, when he walked the beach.  They were hanging out in near the Mangroves.  Ouch!  

I'm a chocoholic like Bucky and also get bitten quite bad.

A high strength Deet works well although it's a bit smelly.

This was recommended to me and it works and has a nicer smell.

15719502617407654358503528208732.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Thanks 1

Horrible long lasting bug bites while walking from beach through spotty high grass to taxi at Valley Church beach in Antigua.  Hurt like 🤬, swelled, turned into blisters quickly and took weeks to go away.  I had Deet on but stopped to dip my feet in a basin of water to wash off the sand which also washed off the Bug spray.  I shared my bug spray to a taxi van full of people that day as the bugs followed us into the cab.  Itchiest sump-itches too!

Bring that Deet!  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Grandma Dazzles said:

I always carry bug repellent, but I don’t carry a can around with me. Love the small individual packets, similar to hand wipes.  Just tear open and use - individually wrapped and easy to put in your purse, pocket, etc.  Several brands are available. 

Thanks!

2 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

We always carry bug wipes.  Deep Woods Off has wipes in a pop up container and also individual packets, like individual wet ones.  

So convenient, thank you!

33 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

That's how.

Thanks @jbethel11

Yes, can't split a question into 3 when it's all RC ports ... lol 

Appreciate you stepping in!

• Like 1

Just now, Heymarco said:

Oh in that case, anyone know when the first frost will be in Boston? EEE is probably biggest threat to cruisers this year.

I agree. But since most cruises to that area happen in the Fall, and since most port times are during the day, I think it won't be a MAJOR problem.

17 hours ago, grapau27 said:

I'm a chocoholic like Bucky and also get bitten quite bad.

A high strength Deet works well although it's a bit smelly.

This was recommended to me and it works and has a nicer smell.

Thanks...I think I have seen that one.   I just need to keep Bucky out of foraging around under the Mangroves.  He was looking for Sea Beans...found those and lots of bites!  😮 

17 hours ago, CruiseKeeper said:

Horrible long lasting bug bites while walking from beach through spotty high grass to taxi at Valley Church beach in Antigua.  Hurt like 🤬, swelled, turned into blisters quickly and took weeks to go away.  I had Deet on but stopped to dip my feet in a basin of water to wash off the sand which also washed off the Bug spray.  I shared my bug spray to a taxi van full of people that day as the bugs followed us into the cab.  Itchiest sump-itches too!

Bring that Deet!  

Sounds like Fire Ants?  

13 hours ago, Heymarco said:

Oh in that case, anyone know when the first frost will be in Boston? EEE is probably biggest threat to cruisers this year.

I can tell you when first frost is in Southampton UK,but no bug repellent needed there which is the question asked on this thread.

Edited by grapau27

13 hours ago, Heymarco said:

Some areas around Boston have already had there first frost.  We are just north of Boston and have not had a hard frost yet.  Not all areas around Boston have EEE, there are specific areas where mosquitoes have tested positive for EEE.  I would bring bug repellent as we carry it daily but we go to fields for rugby games, walk around a local pond, etc. so we like to be safe.  If you are just going to be in downtown Boston, I would not be overly concerned.