Flying into FLL sailing out of POM

Jim and Monika

It's been some time since we have sailed out of Miami. We prefer to fly Southwest which brings us into FLL. We will be coming the day before our cruise which does not sail until 6 pm. the next day. We are looking for advice on whether to stay in FLL area (which we prefer) or Miami. We will need transportation from the airport to the hotel, and then to the port. We are looking for any advice to make it as seamless as possible while also saving some money along the way.

Thanks in advance

FLL hotels might be cheaper

some shuttle services like SAS  offer  a shuttle to POM   pick up  certain hotels in FLL .. check their website

FLL to hotel in the area  if no  shuttle take a taxi or Uber

Howdy neighbor! 😉

Stay where you want in the FLL area and then use UberX or Lyft to get to POM the next day - fare for the car should be about $35+  IMHO it is not worth the hassle for two to catch a shared shuttle just to save a few bucks - if you have 3 the car service is actually cheaper.  If you have 4 travelling together, especially if anyone packs like my wife, you'll need UberXL and the fare will jump to about $70+ 😥

Lots of FLL area hotels offer airport shuttles, or you can use Uber or a taxi - distances are not far and fares are inexpensive.

• Like 1

We will be doing this in January.  I used the SAS site to obtain the list of hotels they serve.  I then checked out availability and prices for those hotels (FLL), made the hotel booking, and booked SAS.  Our hotel provides shuttle from airport, so we are all set.

• Like 1

We are flying into FLL the day before and will arrive around noon. I wanted a place on the beach to relax for the day. Found one in Hollywood, FL which is halfway between FLL and MIA called Hotel Europa. Nothing fancy but it had great reviews. We will Uber to hotel and then next day Uber to POM. We will be there in November, so I can let you know how it went!

I'll offer an alternative.

I would stay in downtown Miami.  

Consider taking Uber from the Fort Lauderdale airport to downtown Miami.  Look at the Hampton Inn.  It's a very nice hotel and prices are reasonable and it includes a cocktail reception and also a nice breakfast.

It is in a nice location and you could enjoy walking around downtown Miami and also it is close to lots of restaurants and shopping.  This way you are near where you will sail from.  The next day just take Uber over to the port which is about a 15 minute drive from Hampton Inn.

Having stayed in both Miami and Fort Lauderdale I now find Miami to be more desirable.  I wouldn't have said this 15 or so years ago but to me times have changed.

Keith

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/25/2019 at 6:50 AM, JohninDC said:

Howdy neighbor! 😉

Stay where you want in the FLL area and then use UberX or Lyft to get to POM the next day - fare for the car should be about $35+  IMHO it is not worth the hassle for two to catch a shared shuttle just to save a few bucks - if you have 3 the car service is actually cheaper.  If you have 4 travelling together, especially if anyone packs like my wife, you'll need UberXL and the fare will jump to about $70+ 😥

Lots of FLL area hotels offer airport shuttles, or you can use Uber or a taxi - distances are not far and fares are inexpensive.

Thank you - this is exactly the info I was looking for 😊 We have four people plus luggage, and even though I have used Uber/Lyft while travelling the last few years - I haven't tried to get one for this many people and their luggage.  My gut feeling was that it might be just as expensive as a shuttle when you need a bigger vehicle.  Looks like QLS has a slight discount for 4 people on a Monday morning.  We are about 45 days away - any need to book quickly?  Our flight is at 1:00 pm from FLL, pretty sure we arrive in port at 6 am.

It will not hurt to book early with QLS - no deposit required the last time I checked; 4 x$15 per person should be about $60+tip.  Or pay about $10+ more (total, not per person) and enjoy door to door service with UberXL (should be about $70+tip).  Your call. 😉

On 11/20/2019 at 2:12 PM, JohninDC said:

It will not hurt to book early with QLS - no deposit required the last time I checked; 4 x$15 per person should be about $60+tip.  Or pay about $10+ more (total, not per person) and enjoy door to door service with UberXL (should be about $70+tip).  Your call. 😉

QLS price for a Monday, for 4 is $13, but that is not a big deal.  I am wondering about the door to door comment though - would QLS NOT be door to door?  Is the shuttle pick up and drop off locations not as convenient as the Uber locations?  I would vote for convenience over a small amount of savings. 

QLS will pick up at some hotels. Check the website to see if yours is on the list.  They may pick up others after you, and drop others before you at different ships.  Uber or Lyft will be door to door, but for 4 plus bags you will need UberXL for about $70+ compared to $52+tip for the shared shuttle.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, JohninDC said:

QLS will pick up at some hotels. Check the website to see if yours is on the list.  They may pick up others after you, and drop others before you at different ships.  Uber or Lyft will be door to door, but for 4 plus bags you will need UberXL for about $70+ compared to $52+tip for the shared shuttle.

Thank you, we are taking the shuttle from the ship to the airport (FLL) - I will probably book it and then see how our UberXL goes from MIA to hotel.  I can always cancel and use Uber if we want.

13 minutes ago, MNfamilycruiser said:

Thank you, we are taking the shuttle from the ship to the airport (FLL) - I will probably book it and then see how our UberXL goes from MIA to hotel.  I can always cancel and use Uber if we want.

Flying into MIA and out of FLL?  Where are you cruising from?

UberXL from MIA to downtown Miami hotels will be about $25-28.  The $13 per person rate you are working is typically between FLL area and POM.

On 11/28/2019 at 2:22 PM, JohninDC said:

Flying into MIA and out of FLL?  Where are you cruising from?

UberXL from MIA to downtown Miami hotels will be about $25-28.  The $13 per person rate you are working is typically between FLL area and POM.

Yes, flying into MIA and out of FLL (1 pm flight) - it was a much better price and time than flying out of MIA.  Sailing out of POM.  Thanks for the information (sorry I have not been on - I work in retail, it has been a crazy week!) We will definitely use Uber XL from MIA to hotel. 

26 minutes ago, MNfamilycruiser said:

Yes, flying into MIA and out of FLL (1 pm flight) - it was a much better price and time than flying out of MIA.  Sailing out of POM.  Thanks for the information (sorry I have not been on - I work in retail, it has been a crazy week!) We will definitely use Uber XL from MIA to hotel. 

I looked into booking QLS, and realize I don't know what time to request, and also another post on this board with how great UberXL was when getting off the ship with 4 people and lots of luggage.  That answered my only concerns - so I will be using UberXL for the POM - FLL trip.  That way I don't have to predict exactly when we will be off and through customs/immigration.   Just wait until we are through and then then request the ride.  Ease of use is definitely worth the price difference. 

I am cruising with my sister and 2 girlfriends in March out of POM.  I will be driving down from SE GA, but the others are flying in from NY and TX.  We are staying at La Quinta Inn in FLL for around $100/night, and they have a shuttle from FLL airport.  Original plan was to Uber/Lyft from hotel to POM, as the hotel will allow me to leave my vehicle for around $30.  Hotels in FLL are a lot cheaper, so finding one with a shuttle and then taking an uber is a great option.

I am just going to drive from FLL to POM and part at the port for piece of mind.  I feel better about my car being at the pier, and the cost is comparable.

Shipgeeks, I see you booked with SAS for your January pick-up.  We have booked a hotel in Ft. Lauderdale that is on their list to be picked up.  My question/s, did you do the booking through their website, or another way? Once you did this, was it confirmed then, and how? If we  book them, we will be using them to take us to Miami Cruise port, and picking us up to take us back to Ft. Lauderdale Airport which they do also.

1 hour ago, beshears said:

Shipgeeks, I see you booked with SAS for your January pick-up.  We have booked a hotel in Ft. Lauderdale that is on their list to be picked up.  My question/s, did you do the booking through their website, or another way? Once you did this, was it confirmed then, and how? If we  book them, we will be using them to take us to Miami Cruise port, and picking us up to take us back to Ft. Lauderdale Airport which they do also.

Yes, I booked SAS through their website, and received an email confirmation fairly promptly, as I recall.

My confirmation says that my payment has been received ($30, for two of us), so everything is squared away.

It was a relief to have the flights, hotel, and shuttle all confirmed.  One can only "shop around" so long!

Best of luck with all your arrangements, and especially your cruise!

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/24/2019 at 9:57 PM, Jim and Monika said:

It's been some time since we have sailed out of Miami. We prefer to fly Southwest which brings us into FLL. We will be coming the day before our cruise which does not sail until 6 pm. the next day. We are looking for advice on whether to stay in FLL area (which we prefer) or Miami. We will need transportation from the airport to the hotel, and then to the port. We are looking for any advice to make it as seamless as possible while also saving some money along the way.

Thanks in advance

We had the same issue in July. We ended up staying at the Marriott in Hollywood beach and took an Uber to the POM! I would definitely recommend this!